Canadian federal election - 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:50:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal election - 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 58
Author Topic: Canadian federal election - 2015  (Read 226608 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: February 10, 2015, 10:53:20 AM »

I find that VERY hard to believe and I'm surprised Tom Clark is that gullible
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #476 on: February 10, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »

While I agree with you, I don't think Harper should worry. Soudas is hardly a Tarte figure.

Confirmed Adams will run in Eglinton-Lawrence, but there's already a local lawyer running for the nomination.

Byrne sent Butts flowers today to thank him for getting rid of Adams.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #477 on: February 10, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »

Nominations tonight:

Richmond-Arthabaska, QC: lobbyist Marc Desmarais will be acclaimed as the Liberal candidate.

Calgary Forest Lawn, ON: Cam Stewart will be acclaimed as the Liberal candidate. He was their candidate in Calgary Northeast in 2011, though this riding is mostly descended from Calgary East. Calgary East's MP Deepak Obhrai is the Conservative candidate while Jud Hansell will be the Green candidate.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #478 on: February 10, 2015, 02:06:52 PM »

In an "open and fair" nomination I'd be really surprised if Eve Adams gets it. 

Eg-Law is probably the most important riding in Toronto for the Liberals to have a good candidate in place.  They'd be idiots to run her there. 

Parkdale-High Park, Davenport and Danforth are safe NDP even in a return to "normalcy" in Ontario.  All the other non-Liberal seats are pretty low hanging fruit.  Oliver is beatable, but he is more of a challenge than the others. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #479 on: February 10, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »

No downtown Toronto riding is safe for the NDP right now, not even Danforth.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #480 on: February 10, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »

I wouldn't consider Danforth a "downtown" riding.  That's like saying Astoria, Queens is part of "downtown New York."
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #481 on: February 10, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »

Marco Mendicino sounds like a much better fit for Eglinton-Lawrence:

http://www.vote4marco.org/about-marco.html
DL
Canada

« Reply #482 on: February 10, 2015, 04:06:05 PM »

In an "open and fair" nomination I'd be really surprised if Eve Adams gets it. 

Eg-Law is probably the most important riding in Toronto for the Liberals to have a good candidate in place.  They'd be idiots to run her there. 

Parkdale-High Park, Davenport and Danforth are safe NDP even in a return to "normalcy" in Ontario.  All the other non-Liberal seats are pretty low hanging fruit.  Oliver is beatable, but he is more of a challenge than the others. 

I agree - Joe Oliver could easily be beaten by a strong Liberal candidate (Bill Blair?) - but he can breathe very easily if his Liberal opponent was going to be an object of ridicule like Eve Adams...and as bad as Eve Adams would be in Eglinton-Lawrence, she would be the absolute worse possible person the Liberals could run in an NDP held inner city riding - to say she would be a turnoff to NDP-Liberal swing voters is an understatement!!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #483 on: February 10, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »

I wouldn't consider Danforth a "downtown" riding.  That's like saying Astoria, Queens is part of "downtown New York."

Unfortunately, many people are starting to equate all of Old Toronto as Downtown. I guess I've joined in on that Tongue
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #484 on: February 10, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »

Eglinton-Lawrence MPP Mike Colle: "Over my dead body."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/02/10/mike-collee-eve-adams-liberals-eglinton-lawrence_n_6655624.html
DL
Canada

« Reply #485 on: February 10, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »

Dimitri Soudas is probably thinking "That can be arranged"
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #486 on: February 10, 2015, 05:55:44 PM »

Fife said earlier on QP that Liberal HQ will rig Eglinton-Lawrence for Adams. Another potential competitor is Joe Volpe's son.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #487 on: February 10, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »

This is a really weird episode.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #488 on: February 10, 2015, 07:52:52 PM »

Tom Allison, he of Iggy/Wynne/Tory fame, will run Adams' campaign. Adams also met with Joe Volpe and asked for his help, he declined.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #489 on: February 10, 2015, 10:17:11 PM »

As was predictable 2 years ago, Joly will run for the PLC. Ahuntsic-Cartierville, to be precise.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #490 on: February 11, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »

According to the Vancouver Sun, the Liberal nomination contest in Vancouver East was supposed to be held today but it had been cancelled because irregularities regarding signed up members came to light.  There were likely over 100 people contacted who were on the membership list who didn't know they were on the membership list.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #491 on: February 11, 2015, 11:42:53 AM »

Joe Volpe is deciding whether he or his son Flavio will seek the Grit nomination. Someone should ask Wynne whether she agrees with Trudeau or Cole.
DL
Canada

« Reply #492 on: February 11, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »

FYI: Volpe's son Flavio was a major figure in Olivia Chow's mayoral campaign - did a lot of the fundraising
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #493 on: February 11, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »

Funny given that Flavio is a more "progressive" Liberal given that Joe Volpe was quite a reactionary Liberal who really pandered to right-wing constituents (as pro-Israel as Harper/Kenney/Baird, opposed Lawrence Heights redevelopment, came out in support of funding for religious schools etc.) 

Mendicino sounds like a good candidate for the Libs (at least on paper): North Toronto resident, lawyer, and lead prosecutor of the"Toronto 18."
DL
Canada

« Reply #494 on: February 11, 2015, 03:26:03 PM »

My advice to Mendicino is that if Pat Sorbara calls him with regards to his candidacy - he should make sure to tape record the conversation.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #495 on: February 11, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »

Funny given that Flavio is a more "progressive" Liberal given that Joe Volpe was quite a reactionary Liberal who really pandered to right-wing constituents (as pro-Israel as Harper/Kenney/Baird, opposed Lawrence Heights redevelopment, came out in support of funding for religious schools etc.) 

Mendicino sounds like a good candidate for the Libs (at least on paper): North Toronto resident, lawyer, and lead prosecutor of the"Toronto 18."

You've been around too long to expect us to be consistent, KoK
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #496 on: February 11, 2015, 09:15:48 PM »

I haven't been following Canadian politics recently, so can I ask a dumb question?: With recent polling, it looks like it's conceivable that the Conservatives will once again win a plurality of seats (but not a majority this time).  In such a scenario, is it a given that they'll once again form a minority government?  Or is there any chance of the NDP propping up the Liberals or joining them in a coalition?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #497 on: February 11, 2015, 09:22:29 PM »

Coalition is too much of a dirty word, but it might be possible if the seat count is close, just because people are so tired of Harper that they would be willing to tolerate a coalition.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #498 on: February 11, 2015, 09:48:14 PM »

I haven't been following Canadian politics recently, so can I ask a dumb question?: With recent polling, it looks like it's conceivable that the Conservatives will once again win a plurality of seats (but not a majority this time).  In such a scenario, is it a given that they'll once again form a minority government?  Or is there any chance of the NDP propping up the Liberals or joining them in a coalition?

I agree with Hatman that the word "coalition" is a dirty word in Canadian politics. However, a less formal arrangement is probably feasible; e.g. A confidence and supply deal.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #499 on: February 11, 2015, 10:10:14 PM »

You know things are bad when Joe Volpe is on the clean-government side of a Liberal Party internal dispute.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies