Canadian federal election - 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:21:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal election - 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 58
Author Topic: Canadian federal election - 2015  (Read 225929 times)
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »

with an added layer of individual scrutiny.  You can't really examine the timeservers and hacks of the party list
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »

The experience of Ireland would argue very strongly against the above.
DL
Canada

« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2014, 01:58:24 PM »

with an added layer of individual scrutiny.  You can't really examine the timeservers and hacks of the party list

Doesn't have to be that way - in many countries with PR they have "open lists" where let's say i cast my PR "list" vote for the NDP in Ontario - i then get to rank the NDP names on the list as i see fit - so I the voter get to choose who on the NDP list is "top of the list" for the allocation of PR seats.
EPG
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »

STV gives the people exactly what they want, which may or may not be what political scientists, and people who see politics ideologically, think they should get.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »

I feel like the NDP would be fairly opposed to Alternative Vote. It is after all not proportional in any way, although the results would be closer to proportionality as it would force the Tories out of power. But at the same time, it would prevent the NDP from ever winning as well. Get used to Liberal power for a long time, or at least some sort of barely right of centre conservative party. (might cause the creation of a new reform party!)

Indeed. It'd be interesting what parties would show up. The Tories would break up almost immediately... and I imagine there would be some hard left split from the NDP eventually.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2014, 01:30:38 AM »

Jonathan Wilkinson, environmental remediation CEO nominated as Liberal candidate in North Vancouver
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2014, 06:29:06 PM »

Guess who (might be) back
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »

some one from Calgary was telling me that today. Too shame
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »

This makes the baby Jesus cry
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2014, 06:57:22 PM »

Will he win the nomination.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »

I doubt it.  I've heard that since he already lost a nomination contest, the national party would have to give approval for him to run for the Bow River nomination.  And even if the party gave him the go-ahead, he would have to get through another contested nomination.  The Mayor of Brooks has already announced his candidacy, and I read that one of the County Councillors in Rocky View County will also be entering.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »

I doubt it.  I've heard that since he already lost a nomination contest, the national party would have to give approval for him to run for the Bow River nomination.  And even if the party gave him the go-ahead, he would have to get through another contested nomination.  The Mayor of Brooks has already announced his candidacy, and I read that one of the County Councillors in Rocky View County will also be entering.

As expected, Rocky View County Councillor Rolly Ashdown has joined the Bow River nomination race.  If Anders is allowed to run, he'll now officially have to face off against Ashdown, as well as Martin Shields (the Mayor of Brooks).
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »

New and updated all-merged topics! Enjoy, kids.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »

Thanks Hash,

Nomination season is well under way, so I requested the two threads be merged so that we can "focus on nominations".

The pundits' guide (http://www.punditsguide.ca/) is keeping a list of all the future nomination dates.  For example, tonight is the NDP nomination in Moncton—Riverview—Dieppe (race is between Luc Leblanc and Joyce Richardson). The Conservative incumbent (Robert Goguen) has already been nominated there.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2014, 09:25:58 AM »

Luc Leblanc (NDP candidate in the recent provincial election in Moncton Centre) won the nomination last night for Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe.

Tonight is the NDP nomination is Scarborough-Rouge Park (not sure who the candidates are though). This is a new riding that was a notional three-way race in 2011 (Liberals were first). The Liberals have already nominated Gary Anandasangaree, an Tamil layer.
DL
Canada

« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »

Tonight is the NDP nomination is Scarborough-Rouge Park (not sure who the candidates are though).

Rumour that the NDP will nominate a famous Tamil cricket player!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2014, 12:18:21 PM »

Ha! There are no famous Canadian cricketers. Tongue A coup nonetheless, considering I'm not aware of any athletes who have ever run for the NDP.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2014, 01:36:12 PM »

Ha! There are no famous Canadian cricketers. Tongue A coup nonetheless, considering I'm not aware of any athletes who have ever run for the NDP.

If your are south asian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) anything cricket would be known to you, its become a very local ethnically focused sport in TO.

Chris Wilson who was an Olympic wrestler ran for the BCNDP last year http://www.straight.com/blogra/358161/former-wrestler-chris-wilson-pins-punk-rocker-joe-keithley-ndp-nomination
... that's the only professional or former pro who I can think of right now
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2014, 01:45:18 PM »

I'm aware of how big cricket is (it's a wonder why they don't show more of it on TV), but how "big" could a Canadian cricketer be? Well, we'll have to wait and see.
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »

For what it may be worth, Canada ranks 20th in the International Cricket Council rankings (and it was higher in recent years when the country had limited over international status, teams 11-16 in the list have limited over international status).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #195 on: December 10, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »

Well, the only Tamil who played on the World Cup squad in 2011 was Ruvindu Gunasekera, who is from Toronto, so I wonder if it will be him? It seems from my quick research, that a lot of Canadian cricketers have ties to Scarborough (no surprise, really).

Canada of course has a long history of cricket. It was the most popular sport in the country in the 19th Century, until hockey and baseball became more popular.

DL
Canada

« Reply #196 on: December 10, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 04:04:05 PM by DL »

There was also Mad Dog Vachon the pro wrestler who ran with "equipe Broadbent" for the NDP in Brome-Mississquoi in 1988 and Bruce Kidd the olympic track and field star ran for the ONDP in 1971 and was active in the Waffle movement. Also Emery Barnes was a former pro football player for the BC Lions who became a BC NDP MLA and eventually speaker of the BC legislature and his daughter Contance is running next year in Vancouver Centre. I think there is also a Manitoba NDP MLA who was once in the NHL too.

On the female side I seem to recall the NDP running a female Olympian in vancouver Centre in 1993 against Kim Campbell.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #197 on: December 10, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »

I posted this in the Discussion thread: controversial Trudeau appointment in BC.

Ontario still a dead heat.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #198 on: December 10, 2014, 04:58:36 PM »

There was also Mad Dog Vachon the pro wrestler who ran with "equipe Broadbent" for the NDP in Brome-Mississquoi in 1988 and Bruce Kidd the olympic track and field star ran for the ONDP in 1971 and was active in the Waffle movement. Also Emery Barnes was a former pro football player for the BC Lions who became a BC NDP MLA and eventually speaker of the BC legislature and his daughter Contance is running next year in Vancouver Centre. I think there is also a Manitoba NDP MLA who was once in the NHL too.

On the female side I seem to recall the NDP running a female Olympian in vancouver Centre in 1993 against Kim Campbell.

Thanks DL,

I knew there must have been some, and was secretly hoping you would give me a list. Cheesy Still though, it is rather short compared to the other parties.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #199 on: December 10, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »

It's strange that Canada never took to cricket, unlike the other Dominions...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies