Canadian federal election - 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:51:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal election - 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Canadian federal election - 2015  (Read 226430 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: December 24, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
« edited: December 24, 2014, 03:13:26 PM by Adam T »

Ha! There are no famous Canadian cricketers. Tongue A coup nonetheless, considering I'm not aware of any athletes who have ever run for the NDP.

I'm most familar with B.C
1.Chris Wilson, 2013 provincial candidate in Coquitlam-Burke Mountain. Early 1990s wrestling world champion and Olympian.  Got elected to Coquitlam city council in 2014

2.Betty Baxter, 1993 federal candidate in Vancouver Centre (against Kim Campbell). 1976 Olympics Volleyball player and later head coach.  Now a Sunshine Coast (British Columbia) school trustee.

3.Jagrup Brar.  NDP MLA in Surrey-Panorama Ridge (later named Surrey-Fleetwood) from 2004-2013 (narrowly defeated in 2013).  Former Indian national team basketball player.

4.Elizabeth Roseneau, 2013 provincial candidate in Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows.  I don't know if she's an athlete herself but she is the head coach of the Special Olympics swim team.

5.Nic Slater, 2013 provincial candidate in Delta South and 2011 federal nominee in Delta-Richmond East. A former ski coach in Whistler and former member of the Search and Rescue team.

and of course most famously in B.C
6.Emery Barnes, Vancouver-Burrard MLA from 1972-1996 former CFL player (and I believe he also played briefly in the NFL)

Other provinces
Ontario
1.Taras Natyshak, Essex MPP 2011- I don't know if he's an athlete but he used to own a fitness centre.

also Bob Rae, though not a professional, was a highly skilled tennis player.

Manitoba
1.Kevin Chief, Point Douglas MLA and Minister of Jobs and the Economy and Minister responsible for Winnipeg was a college basketball player and a two-time First Team Great Canadian Athletic Conference All Star.

Finally
Saskatchewan
1.Tommy Douglas, very famous for being an amateur boxer.

This list is likely far from complete.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 03:16:46 PM »

1 more candidate nomination news (B.C of course)
Angelique Wood Central Okanagan-Similkameen-Nicola will be acclaimed on January 17.  She is former Director with the Okanagan-Similkameen Regional District.  Defeated in 2014.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »

Couple more NDP athletes
Quebec
1.Paul Vachon, former pro wrestler in the 1950s or 1960s, ran in Quebec in 1988 federal election.

Manitoba
1.Ron Lemieux, MLA for La Verendrye 1999-, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Heritage/ Sports and Consumer Protection, former professional hockey player, played in the USHL for one season, drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »

One more, from B.C
Fin Donnelly, New Westminster-Coquitlam M.P, 2011-,
 has made fourteen marathon swims covering 3,200 km of BC's rivers, lakes and the ocean, including twice swimming the 1,400 km length of the Fraser River
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »

The only declared candidate for the NDP in  Yukon is Victor Kisoun
Kisoun defines himself as a “young cultural performer and community organizer,” Kisoun served as vice-chair of the Kaska Dena Council, He has helped create and direct youth land-based cultural camps, according to the release. Kisoun has also managed a tourism company, taught at the Yukon College, and appeared in and produced documentary films.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2015, 06:55:59 PM by Adam T »

More NDP athletes
B.C
1.Doug Routley, MLA for Nanimo-North Cowichan (not to be confused with Cowichan Valley MLA Bill Routley who is no relation).
He was a bicycle racer and while training in Japan, met a bicycle manufacturer. After his return to Canada, Doug established a bicycle retail and wholesale company which had dealerships throughout Canada and the U.S. After selling his company, Mr Routley worked part time as a school custodian which, of course, requires a good deal of physical labor.

2.Jennifer Rice, North Coast MLA
She is a PADI open Water SCUBA instructor and NCCP Level 1 kayaking instructor.

Although I believe these are the only B.C NDP MLAs who competed in athletic competitions or employed in a physical activity, of course other MLAs are physically active.  For instance, David Eby, who I believe is the second youngest member of the caucus, is a runner.  Modified: wrong! Jennifer Rice and Jane Shin are younger. Shin is the youngest member of the caucus.
Oddly enough, 3 of the oldest members of caucus and 3 of the youngest members were first elected in the 2013 election:  George Heyman, Gary Holman and Judy Darcy are all in their 60s while Eby, Shin and Rice are all in their 30s.

Saskatchewan
NDP candidates for the 2015/2016 provincial election.  At present neither of these candidates probably have a hope of winning their ridings.
1.Ted Jaleta, Regina Coronation Park
Ted was born into a farm family in lush northwestern Ethiopia.  Ted was on track to become a world-class long distance runner when civil war broke out in Ethiopia in the 1970s.  Today, Ted, the coach of the Jaleta Pacers. He is a former coach of the University of Regina track and field and cross country teams.
He named a team after himself?

2.Vicki Mowat, Saskatoon Fairview  
In her spare time, Vicki enjoys cross-country skiing at Kinsmen Park, curling at the CN rink, biking on the Blairmore Bikeway, and distance running along the South Saskatchewan River downtown. She has participated in several half-marathons and other running events in the province over the past eight years.

What a coincidence, Vicki and I have so much in common.  She runs half marathons and on a good day I can walk half a mile.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:48:06 PM »

Gordon Campbell left as Premier of B.C with something like a 7% approval rate.  I thought he was a good small l liberal premier after his first term and I thought the HST was good policy (though obviously bad politics) , but  I don't believe there is anyway he could overcome the dishonest way he brought in the HST.

One more NDP athlete
Alex Atameneko, outgoing M.P for British Columbia-Southern Interior
Atamanenko was born in New Westminster, and was educated at the University of British Columbia and the University of Toronto. Atamanenko has a bachelor's degree in Physical Education degree, a teaching diploma, and a Master of Arts degree in Russian. Atamanenko is a member of the British Columbia Retired Teachers Association. He taught Russian, French and English at a number of schools across Canada and the United States. He also has experience in recreation and physical education with a number of organizations, including the Boys' Clubs of Vancouver, the Canadian Forces Base in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba, and for the Coquitlam and New Westminster recreation departments, where he was part-time leader and co-ordinator, as well as for the government of the Yukon as a co-ordinator for the Canada Games (1976–1977) and a recreation consultant (1977–1979). He was also a freelance translator, and is a karate instructor with the Castlegar Karate Club.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 02:32:13 AM »

Prospective Liberal candidate Jodie Emery was denied permission to run for the party nomination in Vancouver East. 

I have to say I'm pleased about this. Although I generally believe that the local members should be allowed to decide who their candidate is, Emery is a one issue candidate who has supported political parties all over the map.  She was a Canadian supporter of Ron Paul in the 2012 election, has twice run provincially for the Green Party and has also voiced support in the past for the NDP.  She has no loyalty to the federal Liberal Party, and since the Liberal Party membership in Vancouver East is likely quite small (though I don't know that for sure) there was a danger she would sign up fellow travelers who also have no long term commitment to the party and win the nomination
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »

Alistair MacGregor, M.P Jean Crowder's constituency assistant, won the NDP nomination today in Cowichan-Malahat-Langford.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 05:59:15 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2015, 06:01:40 PM by Adam T »

I'm not sure that Francine Raynault or Marc-Andre Morin have such "long histories" of working within the NDP. They are both quite old - but as far as i know they were both last minute place holder names on the ballot for the NDP in 2011 who got swept in with the orange crush - i could be wrong but I was under the impression that they were people who had never been all that active (if at all) in the party prior to running.

Funke writes "...long-time NDP activist Francine Raynault, who finally ran in 2011, taking her turn after supporting earlier runs by her husband in the same seat. "
not sure about Marc-Andre Morin, but I've assumed a similar "long time activist" he was an environmental one, since at the start of the 2011 the NDP were still not seen as a huge threat in Quebec from what I remember outside of a handful of targeted seats

What were the NDP targets in Quebec before the Orange Wave? Gatineau was their only close 2nd. Maybe a couple Montreal seats?

The only New Democrats in Quebec that I'm aware of that did well, outside of the 1988 and the 2011 elections were famous lawyer Robert Cliche in 1968 (the Liberals were so scared of him they recruited famous economist Eric Kierans to run against him),former provincial party leader Jean Paul Harney in 1984 in Gaspe (around 20% of the vote), prospective provincial party leader Pierre Ducasse in 2008 and former federal Liberal M.P and now NDP M.P Francoise Boivin in 2008.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »

Does anyone know why Quebec gained 3 seats for 2015-.  I thought the seat count in the Commons was based on dividing the 75 Quebec seats by the population of Canada.

In regards to the additional 30 seats in the Commons, I agree with former Liberal M.P David Anderson that the last thing Canada needs is more politicians.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:09:51 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Robert Cliche made himself famous (or more famous?) with his commission that looked into the corruption in the construction unions and construction companies.  The head legal adviser on the commission was Brian Mulroney who made his name with this commission.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2015, 01:08:12 PM by Adam T »

The only New Democrats in Quebec that I'm aware of that did well, outside of the 1988 and the 2011 elections were famous lawyer Robert Cliche in 1968 (the Liberals were so scared of him they recruited famous economist Eric Kierans to run against him),former provincial party leader Jean Paul Harney in 1984 in Gaspe (around 20% of the vote), prospective provincial party leader Pierre Ducasse in 2008 and former federal Liberal M.P and now NDP M.P Francoise Boivin in 2008.

*And*, don't forget Phil Edmonston winning the Chambly by-election in 1990.

Plus, Ducasse actually didn't do *that* great in 2008, sharewise (a titch under 20%--less than Dowson's share in Westmount-VM--and there were a number of other NPDers who got 15-20% that year)

Oh, and shouldn't forget, of course: Mulcair had already been byelected and then elected in Outremont.  (Which, even pre-Mulcair, tended to be the top Quebec seat the party was pitching for--they got over 15% in both '04 and '06 there)

He didn't come close in 1965 but  internationally famous philosopher Charles Taylor ran for the NDP in 1965.  The Liberals were so scared of him, they recruited Pierre Trudeau to run against him and Trudeau crushed Taylor.  My dad lived in Westmount at the time and voted for Charles Taylor.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »

Barrie-Obama and Barrie-Sotero?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »

What seats do you think will go against the general trend next election?

E.g. The Tories lost Saanich-Gulf Islands despite making gains in 2011.

Louis Saint Laurent is the only one that comes to mind.

The Conservatives also lost one or two seats to the NDP in B.C in 2011.  Surrey Center and maybe one other.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2015, 09:25:53 PM by Adam T »

For anybody interested, the Saskatchewan NDP is already nominating candidates for the next provincial election: http://www.saskndp.ca/team and the Estevan nomination is today.  I didn't feel like starting up a Saskatchewan election thread just for this.

The Manitoba NDP has also nominated a number of candidates  (all incumbents) though that obviously isn't the party's focus right now.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 01:30:49 AM »

One of the provincial NDP candidates in either Regina or Saskatoon is a university student, the traditional sacraficial lamb.  Now, I don't know if that particular riding is one of the more NDP ridings in the city, but then the NDP used to hold every Regina and Saskatoon seat for quite a number of years.

If anybody wants me to put up a new thread for this rather than posting it here, please tell me.  Or, if you'd rather I just go away, please tell me that too.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »

According to the Vancouver Sun, the Liberal nomination contest in Vancouver East was supposed to be held today but it had been cancelled because irregularities regarding signed up members came to light.  There were likely over 100 people contacted who were on the membership list who didn't know they were on the membership list.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 07:00:56 PM »

Former CKWX News 1130 reporter (and Mensa member) Sara Norman wins NDP nomination in Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam defeating Michael Bell, Toyota Canada warehouse associate and 2013 Coquitlam municipal byelection candidate.

Sara Norman @saradnorman  ·  21m 21 minutes ago
Proud to announce I will officially be the Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam #NDP candidate in the next federal election. Thank you for the support!

Sara Norman who broke the story of James Moore saying something like "I'm not my brother's keeper" will now be running against him.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 08:03:21 PM »

B.C NDP candidates for nomination
1.Burnaby-North Seymour, nomination date: February 21
1.Michael Charrois, Theatre Arts Instructor/Actor, former Provincial candidate in North Vancouver

2.Carol Baird Ellan, Retired B.C Chief Provincial Court Judge

2.North Vancouver
1.Carleen Thomas, Tsleil-Waututh First Nation Manager of Intergovernmental Relations, Former Band Council Member, B-Ed (First Nation Studies)

3.Vancouver East (NDP riding)
1.Mable Elmore, MLA Vancouver-Hastings 2009-

2.Jenny Kwan, MLA Vancouver-Mount Pleasant 1996, former Minister of Municipal Affairs

3.Scott McLean, SFU Director of Media and Community Relations, Softball and Basketball Special Olympics Head Coach, Standup Comedian, BBA, MSc-Sports Administration

4.Vancouver-Granville
1.Rob Mason, UBC Law Student, B.A-International Relations

Ridings with no declared candidate
1.Cariboo-Prince George
2.Cloverdale-Langley City
3.Delta
4.Fleetwood-Port Kells
5.Kelowna-Lake Country
6.Kootenay-Columbia
7.Langley-Aldergrove
8.Mission-Matsqui-Fraser Canyon
9.Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge
10.Prince George-Peace River-Northern Rockies
11.Richmond Centre
12.Saanich-Gulf Islands
13.South Surrey-White Rock
14.Steveston-Richmond East
15.Vancouver South

Liberal Candidates for Nomination
1.Cowichan-Malahat-Langford
1.Maria Manna, Singer and Producer

2.Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke
1.Luke Krayenhoff, Self Employed Management Consultant, President Langham Court Theatre, Former RCMP Officer, Former Ministry of Labour Mediator, Former RBC Investment Advisor, BBA, Masters Public Management
2.David Merner, B.C A.G Lawyer, Former B.C Liberal Party of Canada President, 2012 Liberal Party of Canada Leadership Prospective Candidate (dropped out without ever formally entering the race)

3.Fleetwood-Port Kells
1.Arne Gulstene, TMX Group, Regional Head and National Team Manager of Company Services, B.A-Economics, MBA, Institute of Canadian Bankers Fellow (Silver Medalist)

4.New Westminster-Burnaby
1.William Laycraft, Computer Systems Project Manager

5.South Surrey-White Rock,
1.Joy Davies, B.C Director Medical Cannabis Partners, Retired Businesswoman, Former Grand Forks City Councillor 2008-2011 (Defeated for Reelection), Tumber Ridge City Councillor in 1980s

6.Steveston-Richmond East
1.Joe Peschisolido, Former M.P for Richmond 2000-2004 (Conservative 2000-2002) ? (not sure he's running)
2.Wendy Yuan, President Bradley Pacific Enterprises (Resource Export Company), B.A-English and Economics, M.A-International Management, 2008 and 2011 Vancouver-Kingsway Candidate

7.Vancouver East
1.Joanne Griffiths, Founder Community First Foundation, ex-wife of Arthur Griffiths
2.Edward Wong, Lawyer

8.Vancouver-Kingsway
1.John Bolduc Arthur, Business Consultant and Firm Principal Retired Navy Intelligence Officer and Lieutenant, Violinist, B.A (Hons)- International Development, Masters Public Management

2.Mary Pynenburg, Planning and Policy Research Consultant and Firm Owner, Former New Westminster Director of Planning, President National Liberal Women's Commission, B.A-Architecture, M.A-Urban Planning, 2004 and 2006 New Westminster-Burnaby Candidate (also was briefly employed somewhere in the interior as a director of planning but was fired after just a few months)

9.Victoria
1.Adam Stirling, Former CFAX Radio Talk Show Host 2006-2012, BSc- Economics, MSc- Economics Student

2.Cheryl Thomas (nee Blaney), President Results Performance Management Inc, MBA Program Professor, BSc-Speech Pathology and Audiology (U.S Senator Elizabeth Warren has a degree in the same area), MSc-Management

Ridings with no declared candidate
1.Abbotsford
2.Cariboo-Prince George
3.Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam
4.Delta
5.Kootenay-Columbia
6.Langley-Aldergrove
7.Nanaimo-Ladysmith
8.Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge
9.Port Moody-Coqutlam
10.Prince George-Peace River-Northern Rockies
11.Richmond Centre
12.Skeena-Bulkley Valley
13.Surrey Centre
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 10:14:01 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2015, 10:15:38 AM by Adam T »

Carol Baird Ellan retired provincial court chief justice defeated acting instructor Michael Charrois to win the NDP nomination for Burnaby North-Seymour

michael charrois @mcharrois  ·  13h 13 hours ago
Congratulations to @CarolBairdEllan on winning the Burnaby North- Seymour #NDP nomination today. She will make an excellent MP.

Of non incumbent M.Ps in B.C the NDP has now nominated 9 women and 5 men.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 09:38:07 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 07:33:47 AM by Adam T »

Upcoming nominations in B.C

NDP
1.North Vancouver, March 7
As far as I can tell the only candidate is Carleen Thomas, Tsleil-Waututh First Nation Manager of Intergovermental Relations, Former Band Council Member

2.Kootenay-Columbia, March 15
The only candidate is Wayne Stetski Cranbrook Mayor from 2011-2014 (badly defeated in 2014), Former B.C Ministry of Environment Kootenay Regional Manager, Briefly Chair of United Way of Cranbrook and Kimberley (left after being elected mayor), B.Sc-Teacher-Ecology Education

3.Vancouver East, March 22
A.Mable Elmore,45, M.L.A Vancouver-Kensington 2009- and Critic ICBC, Deputy Finance Critic, former Bus Driver and Union Coordinator, B.A-Physical Education

B.Jenny Kwan, 48, M.L.A Vancouver-Mount Pleasant 1996- and critic Community Living B.C, former Municipal Affairs Minister, former Vancouver City Councillor 1993-1996, Community Legal Advocate/former Actress, B.A-Criminology

C.Scott McLean, SFU Director of Media and Community Relations/Stand Up Comedian, Special Olympics Softball and Basketball Head Coach, BBA, MSc-Sports Administration

4.Kelowna-Lake Country March 28
The only candidate is Norah Bowman, English Literature Professor former Women's Studies Professor, B.A, M.A, Ph.D (extremely highly rated at rate my professor)

Liberals
Cowichan-Malahat-Langford, March 7
Maria Manna, Singer and Music Producer will be acclaimed
https://www.facebook.com/events/409259745918271/

Edited to add NDP candidate in Kelowna-Lake Country
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »

How did two sitting MLAs manage to run against each other for the Van East nomination? Strange. I'd imagine Kwan has the advantage?

There are 85 provincial ridings and 42 federal ridings, so it's roughly two MLAs for each M.P.

That said, while I believe Jenny Kwan's provincial riding is entirely in the federal riding, I believe very little of Mable Elmore's riding is in Vancouver East.  I believe more of Shane Simpson's Vancouver-Hastings riding is the the Vancouver East riding.

Jenny Kwan is widely predicted to win, but don't count out Mable Elmore.  She is a star organizer who upset now Surrey North M.P Jinny Sims (and then past president of the B.C Teacher's Federation) for the nomination in Vancouver-Kensington in 2009 and was  a major force for Adrian Dix's leadership campaign likely especially in the Filipino community.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 12:35:11 AM by Adam T »

Sue Hammell and Mike Farnworth both served non consecutively from 1991-2001 and then from 2005-
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 07:19:58 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 07:34:23 AM by Adam T »

Couple more B.C candidates for nomination

NDP
1.Steveston-Richmond East, Scott Stewart (according to pundit's guide), Retired Police Investigator, 2013 provincial NDP nominee

Liberal
1.Langley Aldergrove, Leon Jensen, Retired Canadian Forces Colonel and British Columbia Regional Liason Officer and Former Artillery Officer (Captain) B.A (Hons) - Conflict Studies (oddly enough not obtained until AFTER retiring from the military),
from his linkedin page

Nomination Dates
Liberal
1.Vancouver Kingsway, March 12, Mary Pynenburg vs John Bolduc Arthur
2.Richmond Center, March 13 or March 15
From the Liberal Party website
(Richmond Center I believe has conflicting dates from the national party website and the Richmond Center local website)

EDIT: Neither Mary Pynenburg nor John Bolduc Arthur will be the Liberal nominee in Vancouver-Kingsway.  Apparently Arthur dropped out last summer while Pynenburg just dropped out, possibly under pressure, as slightly alleged by the local conspiracy paper The Georgia Straight (to be fair it's mainly just Charlie Smith of the Georgia Straight who engages in conspiracy theories)  The Vancouver-Kingsway Liberals will instead acclaim Steven Kou as their nominee.

http://www.straight.com/news/402571/federal-liberals-will-acclaim-candidate-vancouver-kingsway
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies