Canadian federal election - 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:12:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal election - 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian federal election - 2015  (Read 226447 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: May 14, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »

Well I'm pleasantly surprised.

I hate the Liberals as much as the next guy, but Liberals finishing in third probably means another Conservative majority government.

Not necessarily. If the Liberals end up in the teens again and the Conservatives somehow capture just shy of 40% of the vote, then sure. But I don't think either of those things are likely to happen again. Trudeau isn't a great leader, but he's still more popular at the end of the day than the Liberal leaders have been for a decade and there's been more than enough built-up backlash over the course of the many Conservative governments that I doubt Stephen Harper can pull that number again. The Conservatives haven't been near 40% since the end of 2011 and have just been hovering around the low thirties for a really long time.

Of course Canada is wildly unpredictable and the election is months away, so all of this is nearly meaningless, but still. The Cons got a majority because of two factors, not just the Liberal collapse to sub-19%; they also got 40% of the vote. At least one of those things isn't likely to happen again, probably both. And scaremongering about the inexperienced, unexpected NDP isn't likely to work as well the second time around after a full term of opposition and the ability for the NDP to claim they represent everyone from Alberta to Quebec.

I have my doubt about the ability for the NDP to form a government on their own, of course, and I'm an endless pessimist, but I feel pretty safe in feeling like another Conservative majority is pretty unlikely. But again. Canada.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 03:45:41 PM »

Obviously it's impossible to really know and incredibly unlikely to happen, but I feel like if we literally ended up with a CPC-NDP tie, IMO there is no way a Conservative government is allowed to happen, especially after just seeing the near-vaporizing of the Liberal Democrats in the UK. If the Liberals allowed that, it would completely devastate them and ruin their credibility from the perspective of any anti-Conservative voter. You'd probably just end up with an NDP minority for like ~18 months until either the Conservatives or Liberals felt like striking again.

There's also like a 2% chance you'd have some sort of working coalition deal between the NDP and the Liberals but that is so unlikely given who leads either of those parties that it's not worth considering. But maybe in the event of a near or exact tie it would increase those odds. Who knows.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »

And besides, this time a strong NDP isn't new. And after an NDP majority government in Alberta? Good luck running a scare campaign a second time.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »

There's one of those good Canadian political plot twists I love so much.

Can the NDP beat the Bloc again? Sure, like Holmes said they've done it once already. Will they capture like 57 of Quebec's seats again? I'm pretty doubtful. The first piece of genuinely bad news for the NDP in a little while. They're really going to have to knock it out of the park again.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies