UK General Election - May 7th 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:43:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 75
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015  (Read 275757 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2014, 06:55:23 PM »

How do you rate Naomi Long's chances of retaining her seat?

A good deal less than 50:50, thanks to Fleggate and the efforts of Loyalist paramilitaries in cahoots with the two main Unionist parties to get rid of her. It's the one seat in Northern Ireland which is likely to shift next time.

Only possible fly in the ointment would be if TUV were to stand as a fleggier-than-thou spoiler.

Fleggate?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »

Belfast pronunciation of 'flag' is 'flegg'.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2014, 03:41:08 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2014, 03:46:58 AM by JosepBroz »

A good deal less than 50:50, thanks to Fleggate and the efforts of Loyalist paramilitaries in cahoots with the two main Unionist parties to get rid of her. It's the one seat in Northern Ireland which is likely to shift next time.

Only possible fly in the ointment would be if TUV were to stand as a fleggier-than-thou spoiler.

Fleggate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5L5p6aYyM

Nationalist proposal to take the Union jack down from city hall was approved by Alliance (largely unionist but non-secterian) in order to give them a majority.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:54 AM »

Fleggate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5L5p6aYyM

Nationalist proposal to take the Union jack down from city hall was approved by Alliance (largely unionist but non-secterian) in order to give them a majority.

More exactly, a proposal to fly the Union Jack on the fifteen(?) standard days specified in legislation for flying flags over government buildings, as opposed to flying it 365 days a year.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »

Peter Hain is standing down in Neath.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »

Bootle MP Joe Benton has given up trying to fight his constituency party, and has opted to retire. He is 81 years old and has held the seat since the second Bootle by-election of 1990. Given that Bootle is one of the safest seats in the country for any party no matter how safety is defined, expect a truly absurd number of applications.

Bootle CLP tends to favour locals and tends to favour social conservatives, but that's not quite a sure thing: in 1979 it selected Allan Roberts who was extremely left-wing and from a suburb of distant Manchester.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »

Neath has been Labour since 1922 and has had just four MPs during that period. Longest tenure was twenty six years or so, shortest around nineteen. There has only been one succession in a General Election (in 1964).
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2014, 12:54:34 PM »

Bootle MP Joe Benton has given up trying to fight his constituency party, and has opted to retire. He is 81 years old and has held the seat since the second Bootle by-election of 1990. Given that Bootle is one of the safest seats in the country for any party no matter how safety is defined, expect a truly absurd number of applications.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

If they make it an AWS I think I will explode!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »

Salford & Eccles was just made AWS, which may reduce the chances of Bootle being so. Though it has never had a female MP.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »

Keep it quiet; don't excite them!

Although if they force it then I hope Claire Curtis-Thomas applies.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »

Interestingly enough, though, some recent AWS decisions have been on seats held by a retiring female MP (i.e. Cynon Valley, Swansea East, Salford & Eccles) rather than chosen on the 'never before' basis.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2014, 01:46:39 PM »

Bootle CLP tends to favour locals and tends to favour social conservatives, but that's not quite a sure thing: in 1979 it selected Allan Roberts who was extremely left-wing and from a suburb of distant Manchester.

It's that safe, you know it'll end up being a person who owns more than two ties.
EPG
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2014, 11:41:38 AM »

Speculation about a possible 2015 gain for the yellows.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2014, 01:00:17 PM »

I don't see it to be honest.  I'd expect most anti-Unionist voters in South Belfast to stick with McDonnell in an FPTP election, even if many of them might be quite sympathetic to Lo and Alliance.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »

I don't see it to be honest.  I'd expect most anti-Unionist voters in South Belfast to stick with McDonnell in an FPTP election, even if many of them might be quite sympathetic to Lo and Alliance.

Even if it happened (and I generally take Slugger's analyses with a large pinch of salt) the effect of McDonnell voters switching to Lo would most likely be to elect a DUP MP.
EPG
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2014, 05:37:51 AM »

They thought similarly about DUP -> Alliance votes in Belfast East in 2010. They reckoned it'd elect Ringland for the UUP. That was on a much bigger gap between second place and Alliance. Sinn Féin will intervene with a candidate in Belfast South in 2015.

Sinn Féin's recent comments suggest they will not stand aside for the SDLP anywhere in 2015. This would itself hurt McDonnell.

It's just about possible to see Alliance with 2 Westminster seats, probably 0, perhaps 1 (though we don't know where!), which is a remarkable state of affairs compared to a decade ago.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2014, 08:25:44 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2014, 08:58:43 AM by ObserverIE »

They thought similarly about DUP -> Alliance votes in Belfast East in 2010. They reckoned it'd elect Ringland for the UUP. That was on a much bigger gap between second place and Alliance.

I don't remember much RW speculation about Ringland getting in, but I do remember that Long was being supported by Dawn Purvis of the PUP, which gave her a credibility in loyalist areas that won't be there next time.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Slugger spent the year before the 2010 election bigging up UCUNF, to no RW effect. I just don't give Fealty's analyses much credence: there's always too much wishful thinking about the triumph of moderate unionism over nationalism. On the plus side for Slugger, the insufferably tedious Pete Baker doesn't seem to be around anymore as ubiquitous as he was.
EPG
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »

They thought similarly about DUP -> Alliance votes in Belfast East in 2010. They reckoned it'd elect Ringland for the UUP. That was on a much bigger gap between second place and Alliance.

I don't remember much RW speculation about Ringland getting in, but I do remember that Long was being supported by Dawn Purvis of the PUP, which gave her a credibility in loyalist areas that won't be there next time.

Slugger spent the year before the 2010 election bigging up UCUNF, to no RW effect. I just don't give Fealty's analyses much credence: there's always too much wishful thinking about the triumph of moderate unionism over nationalism. On the plus side for Slugger, the insufferably tedious Pete Baker doesn't seem to be around anymore as ubiquitous as he was.

I don't know what this has to do with Fealty. It's his blog, but every argument can and should be analysed on its own merits rather than dismissing them because of their source. It's too easy a criticism.

Objectively, Robinson was wounded with numerous scandals in 2010 and UCUNF were second. Similarly, McDonnell faces likely SF opposition and an amazing nationalist-immigrant fusion Alliance party candidate, and the DUP are second. UCUNF did not win in 2010, and the DUP may not win in 2015.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2014, 01:18:49 PM by ObserverIE »

I don't know what this has to do with Fealty. It's his blog, but every argument can and should be analysed on its own merits rather than dismissing them because of their source. It's too easy a criticism.

What it has to do with Fealty is the fact that it's his speculation that's forming the basis of this conversation.

And as far as the maths of the situation go, I find it difficult to see unionist voters switching to "an amazing nationalist-immigrant fusion Alliance party candidate" when the DUP are second.

Particularly given that many of these voters would be living in areas like Sandy Row and The Village where considerable, em, "popular", efforts are made to keep out nationalists, immigrants, or indeed any amazing fusion of the two.

McDonnell may be pompous and not a particularly good party leader, but he's not mired in scandal, so I don't see the incentive for SDLP voters to kick him out and run the risk of electing a unionist.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »

Am I reading this wrong, or is there actually a non-negligible immigrant population in Northern Ireland? If so, for the love of god, why would anyone immigrate to Northern Ireland?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »

Northern Ireland is 98.2% white. The largest non-white group is Chinese at 0.3%.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »

Am I reading this wrong, or is there actually a non-negligible immigrant population in Northern Ireland? If so, for the love of god, why would anyone immigrate to Northern Ireland?

Immigrants end up everywhere.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »

Belfast has major hospitals (Belfast City Hospital in particular is huge) and a couple of universities.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »

http://cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/population/2011/Cen2011IrelandNorthernIreland.pdf

Immigrants tend to concentrate in lower-paid service or industrial work. They tend to live in relatively cheap private rented housing.

For demographic reasons, this type of housing tends to be commonest in historically Protestant working-class areas of cities or towns - mainly Belfast, but also towns in a manufacturing/factory farming belt in north Armagh/east Tyrone. (Ironically, quite a lot of this type of housing in these types of area would have been bought up by Southern investors as investment properties during the Tyger years.)

The locals, many of whom have issues with a perception of being "outbred" by others, often tend not to take kindly to the new arrivals.
EPG
« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »

Exactly right. There is a recognisable belt of Lithuanian settlement stretching across each side of the border - though yes, immigration is a lot lower overall in the north of Ireland.

What it has to do with Fealty is the fact that it's his speculation that's forming the basis of this conversation.

And as far as the maths of the situation go, I find it difficult to see unionist voters switching to "an amazing nationalist-immigrant fusion Alliance party candidate" when the DUP are second.

Particularly given that many of these voters would be living in areas like Sandy Row and The Village where considerable, em, "popular", efforts are made to keep out nationalists, immigrants, or indeed any amazing fusion of the two.

McDonnell may be pompous and not a particularly good party leader, but he's not mired in scandal, so I don't see the incentive for SDLP voters to kick him out and run the risk of electing a unionist.

Now tell me where I predicated anything on Alliance getting the racist vote. Sinn Féin will bleed 3k votes from the SDLP without trying too hard. Then Alliance will try to win, as political parties do. They will seek to take chunks of the 2010 McDonnell and Paula Bradshaw votes, two middle-class and liberal bloc relative to the province, not particularly hostile to immigration, not linked to loyalist paramilitaries. Belfast South SDLP people are not really traditional nationalists, as the history and demography of the constituency demonstrate. Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Yes. (My "amazing" comment is not praise, by the way, but bemusement that this combination within one candidate exists and is at all prominent outside Sinn Féin, given what we know about Belfast.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies