UK General Election - May 7th 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:40:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 75
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015  (Read 275369 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2014, 06:43:31 AM »

As his seat of Redcar has been mentioned, it may be worth adding that its LibDem MP Ian Swales has announced he will not contest the next election

Saving himself the embarrassment.

10/57 LDs retiring (so far).

Wikipedia lists 9 LD-retirements. Who is the tenth?

Mike Hancock, a de facto retirement.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #226 on: July 15, 2014, 06:55:31 AM »

As his seat of Redcar has been mentioned, it may be worth adding that its LibDem MP Ian Swales has announced he will not contest the next election

Has he officially been deselected yet?

Meanwhile, Danny Alexander has taken over the role of chief economic spokesman for the election from Vince Cable.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »

Has he officially been deselected yet?

Meanwhile, Danny Alexander has taken over the role of chief economic spokesman for the election from Vince Cable.

He's sitting as an Indie.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »

Overall Labour gains, but Cameron holds on.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »

A team at the University of Southampton are running a forecast model.  Currently it's giving a point estimate of Lab 36.23, Con 35.52, LD 8.22 with error bars of a couple of points either side:
http://sotonpolitics.org/2014/07/17/the-polling-observatory-forecast-3-slow-decline-in-conservative-prospects-but-still-too-close-to-call/

Putting those numbers into Electoral Calculus gives Lab 315 seats, Con 297, LD 11.

There's also the model run by Stephen Fisher (University of Oxford) which is more Tory-friendly: he's currently saying Con 304 Lab 290 LD 29.  His error bars are much wider: http://electionsetc.com/2014/07/18/forecast-update-18-july-2014/

To be honest I'd be cautious about both of these given the unusual nature of this parliament, but there they are.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:57 PM »

Putting those numbers into Electoral Calculus gives Lab 315 seats, Con 297, LD 11.

Would Labour be able to cobble together a coalition with minor parties, or would this mean Britain goes back to the polls?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #231 on: July 18, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »

Would Labour be able to cobble together a coalition with minor parties, or would this mean Britain goes back to the polls?

I don't think the Lib Dems will do THAT poorly, but if that number is in the ball park, then I could see a super tiny Labour-Lib Dem coalition government.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »

I don't think the Lib Dems will do THAT poorly, but if that number is in the ball park, then I could see a super tiny Labour-Lib Dem coalition government.

326 seats is a one-seat majority, so the first member to resign or die will make it a minority government; and I don't think the Lib Dems will want another coalition after 2010-2015.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #233 on: July 18, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »

326 seats is a one-seat majority, so the first member to resign or die will make it a minority government; and I don't think the Lib Dems will want another coalition after 2010-2015.

I suppose they could get supply from some small parties (anyways, you can always get the support of Northern Irish parties against a few goodies (especially SDLP considering it's Labour).
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #234 on: July 18, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »

I suppose they could get supply from some small parties (anyways, you can always get the support of Northern Irish parties against a few goodies (especially SDLP considering it's Labour).

If a coalition only got Labour-Lib to a tiny majority anyway, I think Labour would much prefer another election.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: July 18, 2014, 07:19:52 PM »

If a coalition only got Labour-Lib to a tiny majority anyway, I think Labour would much prefer another election.

Will they have the money to mount another election campaign within the same year, though?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2014, 02:35:34 AM »

Making certain assumptions about the results in Norn Iron (five Sinn Féin MPs who don't vote at Westminster and three SDLP MPs and one Sylvia Hermon who will probably support Labour) Labour need 319 seats to control the Commons.  With 315 they could try to do confidence and supply deals with Plaid and the SNP and form a minority government.  It would be a surprise for it to last a full parliament, though.

I also don't expect the Lib Dems to go as low as 11 seats, but if they did I think it would be very hard to keep them in office.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »

Making certain assumptions about the results in Norn Iron (five Sinn Féin MPs who don't vote at Westminster and three SDLP MPs and one Sylvia Hermon who will probably support Labour) Labour need 319 seats to control the Commons.  With 315 they could try to do confidence and supply deals with Plaid and the SNP and form a minority government.  It would be a surprise for it to last a full parliament, though.

I also don't expect the Lib Dems to go as low as 11 seats, but if they did I think it would be very hard to keep them in office.

Depending on the referendum and its aftermath, a deal with the Nats could be playing with fire. Who knows what they'll demand?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »

Depending on the referendum and its aftermath, a deal with the Nats could be playing with fire. Who knows what they'll demand?

If No wins, you do realise there will be a large camp of recent Yes voters of all stripes that will want their votes to go somewhere? Party loyalty has essentially disintigrated anyway. I wouldn't be suprised if the SNP soak that up somewhat.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2014, 07:28:32 AM »

For anyone who's thinking Labour will lose (I'm not, but whatever), Andy Burnham is by far the most popular member of the Shadow Cabinet among the grassroots, looking forward to any hypothetical leadership election.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2014, 02:12:08 PM »

Dan Byles standing down in North Warwickshire, the most marginal Tory seat in the country.
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »

Is there any chance of Miliband stepping down before the election?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »

Not unless he shoots a dog.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »

All three leaders will be in place on Election Day.

Although, I wouldn't rule out another failed coup in the LibDems.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »

For anyone who's thinking Labour will lose (I'm not, but whatever), Andy Burnham is by far the most popular member of the Shadow Cabinet among the grassroots, looking forward to any hypothetical leadership election.

The worst I see Labour doing in 2015 is a hung parliament with the Tories a few seats short of the 326 seats they need for a majority. For them to get an overall majority they need to be 9% ahead of Labour which I can't see happening.

In that scenario do you see Red Ed standing down?

I see him still as the Labour leader in May 2020 unless something extraordinary happens (the most likely being intense pressure from within his party to resign).
EPG
« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »

If the Tories form another government and it looks like sticking around, they couldn't possibly give Miliband another five years.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2014, 04:48:32 AM »

Yeah, it's number 10 or resign for Miliband.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #247 on: July 22, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »

Yeah, it's number 10 or resign for Miliband.

I can't see Andy Burnham winning a leadership contest in 2015 if there is one. He had very low support amongst his fellow MP's in 2010.

I think it will be one of three:

Yvette Cooper (who is hampered a bit by being married to the unpopular Ed Balls)
Chucka Umanna (who comes across as slightly too slick and sounding like a lawyer)
Rachel Reeves (who often gets very flustered in tv interviews if she doesn't like the question she's being asked. She also has a slightly commical accent (well it always makes me smile anyway lol))

So possibly either Labour's first female or mixed race leader.

All three would be pretty good I think.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #248 on: July 22, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »

Yes, either those three or Tristram Hunt who is broadly media-pleasing, while being less glued to unpopular New Labour figures than Cooper or Umanna.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »

Backing from MPs for leadership candidates is rather fluid between leadership elections, to put it mildly (there is a marked tendency to coalesce around perceived favourites). In any case we shouldn't forget the PLP will matter less in the next leadership election than it ever has due to the new rules.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies