UK General Election - May 7th 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:53:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 75
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015  (Read 275445 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: October 12, 2014, 08:12:33 AM »

Yeah, I mean, if you invite the Greens but not the other parties who have at least 1 MP in the commons, it's going to get sticky.

As would inviting Clegg, but not Farage.

Personally, I'd just like an Ed-Dave debate. They're the only real contenders to be PM.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #501 on: October 12, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »

Can't wait for the TV debates. Will the Greens be invited I wonder? 

Cameron's trying to dodge them, apparently. But the Tories are apparently pumping for an Ed-Dave debate, then a Lab-Con-Lib-UKIP-Green debate.

I don't see the point in inviting the Greens personally (although, it'd do the Tories well if they were). Where's the line? They gonna invite George Galloway for Respect as well?

They do that in Canada and it doesn't create good debates. Lots of leaders squabbling and the public is forced to watch small leaders blather on about things they don't care about  (e.g. The Bloc Quebecois always got invited to the English debates).

I think Ed-David or Ed-David-Nigel-Nick are the only reasonable ways to go.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #502 on: October 12, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »

Cameron's trying to dodge them, apparently. But the Tories are apparently pumping for an Ed-Dave debate, then a Lab-Con-Lib-UKIP-Green debate.

I don't see the point in inviting the Greens personally (although, it'd do the Tories well if they were). Where's the line? They gonna invite George Galloway for Respect as well?

They do that in Canada and it doesn't create good debates. Lots of leaders squabbling and the public is forced to watch small leaders blather on about things they don't care about  (e.g. The Bloc Quebecois always got invited to the English debates).

They do the two main PM candidates in Australia and NZ right?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #503 on: October 12, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »

They do the two main PM candidates in Australia and NZ right?

Germany as well. The SPD and the CDU leaders first have a debate, followed by a minor party debate.

I'e always thought you should be invited to at least the minor party debate if you're running candidates in the vast majority of constituencies.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #504 on: October 12, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »

So how do we know UKIP won't be like Perot in 1992?  He got 19% of the vote but didn't actually win anywhere.
EPG
« Reply #505 on: October 12, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »

The by-election results, local elections, and some constituency opinion polls suggest that UKIP can win pluralities in a very small number of places.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #506 on: October 12, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »

I see it being like a reverse Canada, with the upstart populists being spread too thin and winning few seats and the establishment conservatives having the favourable geography.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #507 on: October 12, 2014, 12:11:21 PM »

I don't normally hold with obsessing with polls this far out from an election*, but a YouGov done at the same time as the Survation poll shows Labour 34, Con 32, UKIP 16, LDem 9. For what that's worth.

*You'd never think it from the way the media covers politics, but the British electorate typically only emerges from its perfectly rational boredom with the political process once the Great Electoral Carnival gets rolling.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #508 on: October 12, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »

I don't normally hold with obsessing with polls this far out from an election*, but a YouGov done at the same time as the Survation poll shows Labour 34, Con 32, UKIP 16, LDem 9. For what that's worth.

*You'd never think it from the way the media covers politics, but the British electorate typically only emerges from its perfectly rational boredom with the political process once the Great Electoral Carnival gets rolling.

Perfectly rational boredom... that made me laugh!

Given that even experienced political commentators such as Peter Kellner and Andrew Rawnsley have both stated recently in the newspapers they write for that they have no idea what the result of the GE will be the campaign itself could actually be very interesting indeed...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #509 on: October 12, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »

Though never forget that every other election is proclaimed to be the least predictable in recent memory.
EPG
« Reply #510 on: October 12, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »

Well, 2010 genuinely was both close and volatile. 2005 and 2001... not. 1997 more notable for rare surprises than the landslide result as a whole. I don't think those Blair elections were considered very unpredictable.

I see it being like a reverse Canada, with the upstart populists being spread too thin and winning few seats and the establishment conservatives having the favourable geography.

Also, Ukip are about half as popular as the Conservatives in most polls. That doesn't help.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #511 on: October 12, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »

Though never forget that every other election is proclaimed to be the least predictable in recent memory.

Not many things since election 2010 have been 'normal' though. The Lib collapse, Coalition, referendum, UKIP, Ed Miliband being the Miliband who became leader, all three leaders being about as popular as ebola. The only weird political manoeuvrings 2005-2010 really had was a constant Labour leadership crisis.
EPG
« Reply #512 on: October 12, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »

Cameron's net approval ratings are near-zero, though you would be forgiven for thinking otherwise given all that's happened. The other two leaders... plumbing the depths.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #513 on: October 12, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »

I was just being playful...
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #514 on: October 12, 2014, 05:47:38 PM »

Not many things since election 2010 have been 'normal' though. The Lib collapse, Coalition, referendum, UKIP, Ed Miliband being the Miliband who became leader, all three leaders being about as popular as ebola. The only weird political manoeuvrings 2005-2010 really had was a constant Labour leadership crisis.

Yeah, it's definitely been a weird 4 years.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #515 on: October 12, 2014, 05:59:55 PM »

Most parliamentary terms are full of weirdness. The whole Cash for Peerages nonsense, anyone?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #516 on: October 12, 2014, 06:30:49 PM »

Most parliamentary terms are full of weirdness. The whole Cash for Peerages nonsense, anyone?

Yes, but it seems like in the past 4 or 5 years we've seen a total change in the way British politics operate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #517 on: October 12, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »

A claim that has been made periodically since... what... the 1960s?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #518 on: October 12, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »

True, it is a subjective term. Though I feel it specifically applies to the past 4 years.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #519 on: October 12, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »

To be fair, the way British politics operates has completely changed since the 1960s.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #520 on: October 12, 2014, 07:07:19 PM »

To be fair, the way British politics operates has completely changed since the 1960s.

I don't know about completely. One thing that is very similar is the insistence that this particular moment that we're living in now is the most unpredictable time in politics that anyone can remember (etc). Most of what has changed, of course, has changed pretty gradually.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #521 on: October 13, 2014, 07:48:40 AM »

The various broadcasters who would be involved have come up with some proposals for TV debates.  The suggestion is three debates, one Cameron/Miliband, one Cameron/Miliband/Clegg and one Cameron/Miliband/Clegg/Farage.

The Lib Dems aren't happy with being left out of one of the three, and Cameron appears sceptical, so whether any debates will happen and who'll be involved in them is still up in the air.  Of course the Greens, Plaid and the SNP are not impressed either.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #522 on: October 13, 2014, 09:21:07 AM »

The Greens have gone so far as to threaten legal action. Hilarious.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #523 on: October 13, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2014, 10:05:06 AM by You kip if you want to... »

I don't see why Plaid and the SNP should be involved. Scotland and Wales had separate debates last time which makes a lot more sense.

Also, I seem to remember Sky genuinely promising to empty chair Gordon Brown last time when he was dragging his feet. Don't see them doing that to Cameron now he seems to have cold feet.

A Cam-Ed-Clegg debate following a Cam-Ed debate would be hilarious though because it'd just become 'rip Nick Clegg to pieces for 2 hours'.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #524 on: October 13, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »

If each debate is 2 hours that's too long.

They should be an hour each and I wouldn't mind the more relaxed Question Time format with them all sitting behind an arched table with the host sitting in the middle inviting the audience to ask questions of the party leaders.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies