UK General Election - May 7th 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:35:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 75
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015  (Read 275611 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: December 27, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »

Given how volatile the Scottish electorate is the word 'realistically' is generally an unrealistic word to use usefully Tongue

One thing to be aware of is that Clydeside is not the entirety of working class Scotland. Labour will probably hold up better (no matter how large the swing ends up being) in smaller industrial towns - most of which voted No - than in Glasgow et al.

Of course, depending on what actually happens next May it could simply be that Labour has outlived it's usefulness. Sometimes parties do 'die', to all intents and purposes.
EPG
« Reply #851 on: December 28, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »

Or, at least, that Labour dies as the plurality party of Scotland that it has been for nearly six decades. But it is hard to see how a Scotland dominated by the SNP remains in the current constitutional grey area for very long. Two competing future states of the world are that devolution will eventually grow and separatist feeling will subside, or another independence vote will succeed.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #852 on: December 28, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »

If Scottish Labour had just made Gordy Brown leader, things would be going alot better for them.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #853 on: December 28, 2014, 12:17:14 PM »

I'm so excited for this campaign to get under way.
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #854 on: December 30, 2014, 12:25:22 PM »

It is likely to be the harshest, rudest, most un-British campaign since, ooh, the last one. I remember as a youngster hearing how shocked people were at the tone of the 1992 election: this won't have nowt on that, I tell's thee.

There has been a change in party spending limits, incidentally, so not only will 2015 be the most highly charged election, it'll be the most expensive too. If the only curious thing about our general elections which attracted you was the sight of all the candidates lined up like prized pigs at a country fair during results night, I suspect there's going to be an entire shed-load of things to keep you engrossed this time.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #855 on: December 30, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »

It is likely to be the harshest, rudest, most un-British campaign since, ooh, the last one. I remember as a youngster hearing how shocked people were at the tone of the 1992 election: this won't have nowt on that, I tell's thee.

There has been a change in party spending limits, incidentally, so not only will 2015 be the most highly charged election, it'll be the most expensive too. If the only curious thing about our general elections which attracted you was the sight of all the candidates lined up like prized pigs at a country fair during results night, I suspect there's going to be an entire shed-load of things to keep you engrossed this time.

The big wildcard of the campaign is Ed Miliband himself. Ed. Every day. With real people. That's not happened before and hasn't been allowed to happen. It might go exceptionally well, or if he just comes across as odd for four weeks could bring Labour's campaign crashing down.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #856 on: December 30, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »

looks like ashcroft's got his sums wrong again, 1497% of people who voted conservative in 2010 will be doing so next year, which should come in handy in those key marginals
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #857 on: December 31, 2014, 04:25:32 AM »

looks like ashcroft's got his sums wrong again, 1497% of people who voted conservative in 2010 will be doing so next year, which should come in handy in those key marginals
That's what you get for having one of your leaders named Boris...
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #858 on: December 31, 2014, 06:15:42 AM »

The big wildcard of the campaign is Ed Miliband himself. Ed. Every day. With real people. That's not happened before and hasn't been allowed to happen. It might go exceptionally well, or if he just comes across as odd for four weeks could bring Labour's campaign crashing down.

Absolutely. Each appearance has been few and far between (often because of the mopping up afterwards). They can't hide him for two months between March and May. We're not looking at a "Sarah Palin moment", I don't think, but if anybody in the current UK party leaderships looks likely to sink an entire campaign on their own, it's Ed.

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #859 on: December 31, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »

The problem with Ed Miliband is that he knows the information, and has solutions, but he can't deliver those solutions in a cohesive manor.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #860 on: December 31, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »

The problem with Ed Miliband is that he knows the information, and has solutions, but he can't deliver those solutions in a cohesive manor.

Only toffs have cohesive manors.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #861 on: December 31, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »

Only toffs have cohesive manors.

Well, Ed is trying to change that.

you know what I meant.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #862 on: December 31, 2014, 07:56:42 PM »

Tony Blair doubts Ed Miliband can win 2015 general election

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/30/tony-blair-ed-miliband-general-election-labour

Although Blair seems to try to walk back his comments.  How he feels is clear.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #863 on: December 31, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »

Prime Minister Ed McMiliband? It's pure fantasy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11318945/Prime-Minister-Ed-McMiliband-Its-pure-fantasy.html

I find this article interesting of how SNP is playing up talk that they will back a Labor government so they can take away the last reasons to vote Labor in Scotland versus SNP.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #864 on: December 31, 2014, 08:09:21 PM »

Labour leads or is tied in the final polls of 2014
Populus: CON 35%, LAB 35%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 12%, GRN 4% (tabs)
YouGov/Sun: CON 32%, LAB 36%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 16%, GRN 5% (tabs)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #865 on: December 31, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »

I'm tipping another election within a few months, or otherwise a Labor minority government.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #866 on: January 01, 2015, 07:03:39 AM »

Prime Minister Ed McMiliband? It's pure fantasy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11318945/Prime-Minister-Ed-McMiliband-Its-pure-fantasy.html

I find this article interesting of how SNP is playing up talk that they will back a Labor government so they can take away the last reasons to vote Labor in Scotland versus SNP.

Hodges is a ... strange man.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #867 on: January 01, 2015, 07:54:11 AM »

If Labour Party support crashes in Scotland as the polls presently 'predict' it will be impossible for them to get a majority, and winning the most seats would be difficult as well.

The polls also show the Liberal Democrats will lose most of the seats they now hold, but an SNP could prop up a second place Labour Party into government.  I highly doubt, despite what the author of that article satirically suggests, that any SNP members would be in the cabinet.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #868 on: January 01, 2015, 08:31:43 AM »

I'm tipping another election within a few months, or otherwise a Labor minority government.

Can anyone clarify the following for me? If the next election produces a result where no viable coalition can be created am I right in thinking that Cameron would stand down as PM, Milliband would be invited and then stand down as PM and Parliament would have to vote to dissolve itself under the rules of the Fixed Term Parliament Act?
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #869 on: January 01, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »

Can anyone clarify the following for me? If the next election produces a result where no viable coalition can be created am I right in thinking that Cameron would stand down as PM, Milliband would be invited and then stand down as PM and Parliament would have to vote to dissolve itself under the rules of the Fixed Term Parliament Act?

I *think* that's how it works, yes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #870 on: January 01, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »

I've never understood why some polling firms conduct surveys over Christmas.

If Labour Party support crashes in Scotland as the polls presently 'predict' it will be impossible for them to get a majority, and winning the most seats would be difficult as well.

This isn't actually true, although it would make it a lot harder.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #871 on: January 01, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »

What a good thing I have spent today organising my battleground charts, eh?

Labour currently have 258 MP's (yes, I know they lost Bradford West and gained Corby but this is as of the last election and by-elections don't count), therefore in order to win a majority they need to gain 68 seats. The 68th Labour target is Norwich North and that would go to Labour on a swing of 4.58% (a national Labour lead of 1.86%). For every seat that the SNP gain from Labour, Labour have to gain another seat from the Conservatives, Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru so if (as some polls have been suggesting) Labour lose 37 of their Scottish seats to the SNP, Labour have to gain another 37 from other sources which would take them to target number 105 Derbyshire South (when allowing for Scottish targets it would be 109 which is Cambridge on a swing of 7.43%, a national Labour lead of 7.56%)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #872 on: January 01, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »

Considering the fact that the majority of the coalition's time has not been great with high unemployment and wage cuts and it's only now we're starting to see positives, it's almost incredible that Ed Milliband won't end up PM.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #873 on: January 01, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »

What a good thing I have spent today organising my battleground charts, eh?

Labour currently have 258 MP's (yes, I know they lost Bradford West and gained Corby but this is as of the last election and by-elections don't count), therefore in order to win a majority they need to gain 68 seats. The 68th Labour target is Norwich North and that would go to Labour on a swing of 4.58% (a national Labour lead of 1.86%). For every seat that the SNP gain from Labour, Labour have to gain another seat from the Conservatives, Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru so if (as some polls have been suggesting) Labour lose 37 of their Scottish seats to the SNP, Labour have to gain another 37 from other sources which would take them to target number 105 Derbyshire South (when allowing for Scottish targets it would be 109 which is Cambridge on a swing of 7.43%, a national Labour lead of 7.56%)

But it would need a swing a little bit smaller than 7.56%, given than if their vote in Scotland is sharply down, their English vote is up a little bit, for the same national voteshare.
EPG
« Reply #874 on: January 01, 2015, 06:08:30 PM »

Cameron can stay in office as long as nobody else is likely to command a majority in the Commons. If there is no viable coalition, there is no reason why the Queen would ask anyone other than Cameron to form a government instead.

Considering the fact that the majority of the coalition's time has not been great with high unemployment and wage cuts and it's only now we're starting to see positives, it's almost incredible that Ed Milliband won't end up PM.

In fact, employment and even wages have been improving slowly, particularly since the beginning of 2013, to the extent that the Bank of England is now publicly considering an increase to interest rates. As for why the politics are as they are, people still blame the previous government for many of the problems, and Cameron/Osborne are more favoured as economic managers than Miliband/Balls. But that doesn't mean all is lost for Labour; a 4% lead, as reported in many opinion polls, would probably mean Ed Miliband becomes Prime Minister.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies