UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:20:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015  (Read 275878 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« on: July 02, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »

But I cannot imagine, that in duells with the Tories Progressives won't vote tactically.

Presumibly because Labour supporters (and other progressives) doesn't view the LibDems as the least of two evils any longer, but equally bad as the Tories. 
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A5kan_Juholt

Would be a non-British example.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:55:50 PM »

Yeah, it's number 10 or resign for Miliband.

It's quite intresting how that has become the norm in politics these days. No party today would for example tolerate, as was the case with Niel Kinnock, losing an election and then go on as leader for the next election as well. 
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:48:21 PM »

With "BigBrother" (=D.M.) a LAB-victory were inevitable.

Ed is a rather unimpressive leader, I don't think anyone is disputing that, but the only thing were David is actually better than Ed, is that he doesn't have an annoying lisp.

Sure David is everything a dream politician should be, young, serious, experienced, but he's so incredibly cold and stiff. He lacks the quality that every successful politician poses, personality. I mean at least you know there is a human being behind Ed Miliband. With the brother... I'm not so sure.

And had he been leader I'm sure people would hang around here complaining over how much of a better leader Ed would have been.    
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:48:32 AM »

RedEd has disappointed me, for example, by overseeing to rename the outdated label "Labour" into "Progressives" or "Democrats". And with 100% I knew 2010, that the LDs in coalition would be halved, but with 70% I expected its left wing to depart from Liberals&coalition - also a missed chance!

Really? Your biggest beef with Ed is that he didn't throw out a well established brand name for some flashy new flavour of the month? Are? You? For? Real?

I'm not one to give voters as a group credit especially often, but no voter is actually deluded enough to base their vote on whether a party is named Labour, or Progressive. The day anyone actually does that is the day we should abolish democratic elections and return to dictatorships.

SD parties just don't change their names

It's not just Social Democratic parties. Lets not forget that your major centre-right party is still called "The Left" and your centrist party "The Radical Left". Wink
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 11:18:18 AM by Swedish Cheese »

The Labour Party won 43,2% of the popular vote, and 418 of the parliamentary seats, as recently as 1997. I seriously doubt most of their voters then were old blue-collar factory workers or miners.

I know that in this day an age people think that winning elections is all about new imaginative campaign slogans and flashy websites... but no one really cares about that. People will vote for Labour if they agree with their policies, think they have a competent leadership, and hate the Tories. Calling them the Progressive Party, or the Blueberry Party, or We-Hate-The-Tory-Party Party, would make zero, zilch, nada difference. None what so ever! If any affect, it would be confusing a few pensioners who'd be wondering what happened to the party they were planning to vote for.

Sigh, there are few things that annoy me quite as much as changing things that that work just for the sake of change with-out reflection on wether the change is actually for the better. As if change in itself is suppose to have some sort self-worth. Roll Eyes

RedEd has disappointed me, for example, by overseeing to rename the outdated label "Labour" into "Progressives" or "Democrats". And with 100% I knew 2010, that the LDs in coalition would be halved, but with 70% I expected its left wing to depart from Liberals&coalition - also a missed chance!

Really? Your biggest beef with Ed is that he didn't throw out a well established brand name for some flashy new flavour of the month?

It's not my biggest problem with him, I just mentioned it ex grege.
But "Labour" is old-fashioned and fits now better to the blue-collarish BNP.
"Progressives" is exactly the counterpart to "Conservatives" and means exactly that the LEFT stands for (20.century WhiteWorkingClass, now Immigrants/CivilServants/Students/UnEmployed/NonWorkers/...).

Also, please, I ask politely of you... if you're gonna continue using weak arguments, and say things such as "Labour fits better for the BNP" and thereby implying, rather offensively, that most blue-collar workers are racist, I would kindly ask you to learn how to quote properly, so that it doesn't look as if it were I, or anyone else, who wrote it. Now that would be progressive. Thank you. 

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »

Didn't the Centre Party in Sweden used to be called the Agrarian party or the Farmer's party or something like that? i know that the Moderate Party in Sweden used to be called the Right Party.

I know that in this day an age people think that winning elections is all about new imaginative campaign slogans and flashy websites... but no one really cares about that. People will vote for Labour if they agree with their policies, think they have a competent leadership, and hate the Tories. Calling them the Progressive Party, or the Blueberry Party, or We-Hate-The-Tory-Party Party, would make zero, zilch, nada difference. None what so ever! If any affect, it would be confusing a few pensioners who'd be wondering what happened to the party they were planning to vote for.

Yeah, its a bit ironic this comment was made by a Swedish poster, since all their three historical centre-right parties have changed their names (from ideological or occupational names to wishy-washy names like centre, moderates and peoples party).

Generally centre-right parties are more likely to change their names completely than SDs.

The People's Party have been called the People's Party since it's foundation in 1934 when it's two predecessors merged, and one of those predecessors were called the People's Party even before that, so I'm not sure where Politicus gets the idea that they've changed their name from.

But the two of you remember correctly about C and M of course. They both changed their names in the 60's. The Farmer League becoming The Centre Party was arguably a rare case of a good name change.

As for The Right becoming the Moderates, that if anything just proves my point. That name change happened so that the party would seem more centrist and inclusive, and it didn't work a single bit. The name change didn't change people's perception of them, instead it changed the meaning of the word Moderate in Swedish to mean centre-right instead of its original meaning.       
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 06:38:02 AM »

Does that mean that Miliband's future son/daughter-in-law will become President of the European Council?
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 03:40:08 PM »

It might not even be the party's choice. Nick Clegg first and formost need to not be Portilloed in Sheffield Hallam.   
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 06:40:30 AM »

First YouGov of the year: 34/31/14/7/8

Also, it seems that the official campaign has begun, and it will be four months long. Yet another argument for the repeal of that idiotic Fixed Terms (aka Americanization) bill.

Why is it Americanisation? Most countries have fixed terms. Why couldn't it be Germanisation, or Swedenisation? Tongue
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 06:17:29 AM »

First YouGov of the year: 34/31/14/7/8

Also, it seems that the official campaign has begun, and it will be four months long. Yet another argument for the repeal of that idiotic Fixed Terms (aka Americanization) bill.

Why is it Americanisation? Most countries have fixed terms. Why couldn't it be Germanisation, or Swedenisation? Tongue

There still are early elections in Germany and Sweden.

There still are in the UK as well, under the fixed terms bill, so that is just a further argument that it's not Americanisation. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies