The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:41:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 209488 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: November 04, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »

It's funny that Rand Paul apparently doesn't know what the definition of plagiarism is? His excuse the whole time has been that he forgot to put in footnotes. But there's absolutely no indication in his speeches or his books that these words are anyone else's but his own.

And now he's threatening to shoot Rachel Maddow and Andrew Kaczynski, lol. Republicans better hope Christie is somehow the nominee, because all the other candidates are hilarious gaffe machine extremists apparently.
Yes; musing about a duel to defend his honor is equal to threatening to shoot somebody in cold blood Roll Eyes.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1001 on: November 05, 2013, 02:52:36 AM »

I'm honestly not even sure where to begin addressing this.

I don't really see how that excerpt makes her inherently some kind of bigot. She states that she believes peace-loving Muslims exist but that political Islam is currently in control of the religion as a whole.

If there are Westerners who are bigoted against Muslims, you can't say there aren't many Muslims who have done nothing to alleviate that. There are a lot of Americans who have never met a Muslim in their life. They don't know any. The only exposure they have had to Islam is having their country attacked by Muslims on 9/11. Does that mean all Muslims supported that? Of course not.

But the problem with Islam is that even though it's oversimplifying to say they're all monolithically jihadists, they made the choice to structure their religion in such a way that it's next to impossible to culturally and socially target the "bad" Muslims without targeting the "good" ones as well.

Christianity has very clear subdivisions and denominations, most of which are very hierarchical. That's why when a Catholic priest rapes a choir boy, people don't get mad at Christians in general. They get mad at Catholics. That dividing line is there. When a fundamentalist megachurch pastor embezzles his congregants' money and buys drugs and prostitutes, it's not a problem with Christianity, but rather with evangelical Christianity or specifically with that church.

My advice to the moderate Muslims who don't want to have a violent clash of civilizations with the West, who believe God gave us both faith and reason to guide us, and who don't adhere to a literalist interpretation of the Koran is this - stop calling yourselves Muslims. When Catholics couldn't agree on how people should be baptized and which bishop would have final say over church affairs, some of them stopped calling themselves Catholics. And that is where we got the Eastern Orthodox Church. When some Anglicans become disillusioned with strict High Church tradition and wanted to incorporate the teachings of John Wesley into their doctrine, they stopped calling themselves Anglicans and started calling themselves Methodists.

But to the extent that that has not happened, and the "bad" Muslims are very much in the driver's seat, I honestly don't think what Ms. Ali is saying is bigoted or hateful. It's simply the reality in which we live.

I happen to agree with Ms. Ali's overall assertion that Islam as a whole has a net negative influence on the world currently. That hasn't always been the case - we have things like algebra to remind us of that. But I'm not going to ignore the fact that there is only one religion in the world that is currently producing the lion's share of terror attacks; there is only one religion in the world that has a significant share of its members more or less declaring open warfare on the rest of us. And that religion is Islam. There is no moral equivalency between Islamic jihad and the crazy rantings of fundie Christians like Michele Bachmann who don't actually do anything to harm people who don't share their views. I'm sorry if you think making the judgment, with evidence in my favor, that Islam is a "bad" religion somehow makes me a bigot. At least I don't serve as an apologist for terrorists and misogynists for the sake of being politically correct.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1002 on: November 05, 2013, 02:57:14 AM »

That is really kind of remarkably awful.
(At least those kind of threads are useful for rooting out the bigots).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1003 on: November 05, 2013, 05:54:58 AM »

But you know, pots somehow cool. It only alters your mind. I know a guy who I once went to school with who was smoking pot and ran over somebody. But that's not that big of a deal, I guess Roll Eyes.

Let's ban alcohol then.
How about legalize everything?

Including smothering libertarians with pillows?

But aren't Libertarians heartless elites who want to throw bricks at poors? Tongue
Krazen's a Libertarian now?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1004 on: November 05, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »

Obvious FF. Critics of Saudi policies regarding women's "rights" and homosexual "rights" are just intolerant bigots who hate cultures and faiths other than their own. We should also tolerate similar attitudes by Muslims in western states, because you're a racist if you oppose treating women as property and hanging gays, political dissidents (who are all just bigots), Jews, and Christians.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1005 on: November 05, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »

Continuing the archiving of this stuff for the (hopefully) inevitable moment in a week or two where he denounces this as racism.

I am a Marxist. I therefore stand against all oppressive systems, of which Islam is one.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1006 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »

But you know, pots somehow cool. It only alters your mind. I know a guy who I once went to school with who was smoking pot and ran over somebody. But that's not that big of a deal, I guess Roll Eyes.

Let's ban alcohol then.
How about legalize everything?

Including smothering libertarians with pillows?

But aren't Libertarians heartless elites who want to throw bricks at poors? Tongue
Krazen's a Libertarian now?

Who said krazen is an elite?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1007 on: November 05, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »

Not exactly a profile in courage to be a closeted Democrat who votes against gay rights in New England.
He DISGUSTS me. What a spineless piece of crap. While the numerous closeted Republicans are also horrible, at least they're beholden to the party of bigotry and ignorance and are probably delusional enough to believe their own lies. I find this behavior even more shocking from a northeastern Democrat. I don't know care what his district is like, it's not like it's Alabama or anything. I don't know how he could live with himself all this time.

I support him for governor to get him the hell out of Congress.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1008 on: November 05, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1009 on: November 05, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »

We 'gah a live one here.
Joe Biden
Martin O'Malley
Mark Warner
Andrew Cuomo
Kristin Gillibrand
and whichever novice non-white candidate they can persuade to jump in to feign diversity.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1010 on: November 06, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=181771.0

cc: Comedy Goldmine

In which a random newbie posts his own home-made Hillary Clinton puff piece, hilarity ensues.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1011 on: November 06, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=181771.0

cc: Comedy Goldmine

In which a random newbie posts his own home-made Hillary Clinton puff piece, hilarity ensues.
there's no way that wasn't ironic right? please tell me that was ironic
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1012 on: November 06, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »

McAullife barely won a race in which he had alot of help and $$$ from the dem bigwigs ( clintons, obama) the D.C suburbs carried it for him but we will see how he will do as Governor with a GOP majority in the legislature. i say he won't be successful at all. check and balance is great with the GOP majority in the legislature he won't be able to do all he wants. the Virginia women want their abortions and divorce rights--(shows you how the women of this country are now. suburban phonies is what alot of them are--they sit on the school boards, pta etc. and let people think they are shining examples of their communitys when the real them are opposite. just the way they voted in Virginia is an example.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1013 on: November 07, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »

No. I think its the responsibility of education and the family to teach a person how to read. If they fail to do that, then that's their fault and life goes on. It shouldn't be an automatic right.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1014 on: November 08, 2013, 06:19:50 AM »

Not sure if troll post or¿?

Sweatshops get such a bad rap because of the conditions but if you asked any of those workers they'd be grateful for that job as they pay higher the most other jobs in third world countries. Similarly, sweatshops pave the way for economic growth eg. in the 60s Japan was full of them.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1015 on: November 08, 2013, 06:39:51 AM »

Sweatshops get such a bad rap because of the conditions but if you asked any of those workers they'd be grateful for that job as they pay higher the most other jobs in third world countries. Similarly, sweatshops pave the way for economic growth eg. in the 60s Japan was full of them.

...this is a perfectly reasonable and commonly held economic truism, endorsed by economists as liberal as Paul Krugman. Neither bad, absurd nor ignorant.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1016 on: November 08, 2013, 07:20:31 AM »

...this is a perfectly reasonable and commonly held economic truism, endorsed by economists as liberal as Paul Krugman. Neither bad, absurd nor ignorant.

It's sort of outside the point of the thread though.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1017 on: November 08, 2013, 07:23:47 AM »

Having looked at the thread, yes it is, but just seeing that in isolation as an example of "Ignorant/Absurd/Bad" thinking annoyed me a little.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1018 on: November 08, 2013, 07:29:34 AM »

Having looked at the thread, yes it is, but just seeing that in isolation as an example of "Ignorant/Absurd/Bad" thinking annoyed me a little.

Oh I don't disagree with that just giving context. I thought the post was ridiculous for that reason as in "Way to miss the point, man".
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1019 on: November 08, 2013, 08:17:21 AM »

Yeah it was more of a "you're missing the point" type thing
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1020 on: November 08, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »

what is so bad about the "Bell Curve". It's not like they're using racial epithets or anything.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1021 on: November 08, 2013, 04:13:53 PM »

What is "The Bell Curve?" Its a name I hear thrown around a lot but never have bothered to look up.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1022 on: November 08, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »

What is "The Bell Curve?" Its a name I hear thrown around a lot but never have bothered to look up.
1990s scientific racism. Minorities and other poors are poor because they have low IQs.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1023 on: November 08, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »

Example:

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1024 on: November 09, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »

I don't think I've ever hit the report button more times than I have today.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies