The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:56:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 209458 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: November 28, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »

I cannot manage to express how sick this post made me (fortunately, Al beautifully expressed it for me).

Dubai is a city that used its wealth to build bigger and grander than any city before it. Dubai dreamt big when most of the world was stuck in malaise, stagnation, and small-mindedness. I have an affinity for skyscrapers, urbanization, modern and even futuristic architecture, and great projects that reshape the face of the Earth. Dubai has built true wonders, rising up from the sand and dust to create something awe-inspiring.

It seems to me that most of the criticism of Dubai is founded upon "human rights abuses." These criticisms seems rather ethnocentric to me, but more than that, as far as I know, none of the South Asian workers who built Dubai were forced to go to Dubai. Much like sweatshops, the conditions are not anywhere close to ideal, but they are probably better than whatever conditions they would be facing otherwise. I'm not saying that the way they treat their workers is good, but it's hardly unique. There are similar conditions in many cities across the world, and there have always been such conditions, but Dubai is thrust into the spotlight because it's new, unique, and an emergent urban power.

Surely we can appreciate the Pyramids or the Great Wall of China or the Golden Gate Bridge or the Three Gorges Dam while recognizing the hardships that the workers who built it experienced. How many people died accomplishing such marvels? Does this somehow make them less beautiful or less grandiose? I don't believe so. I view Dubai along similar lines. Dubai has it's problems as any city does, but few have ever done so much, so big, and so fast as Dubai.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1151 on: November 28, 2013, 06:56:50 PM »

I only glanced quickly but didn't realize I was looking at European PMs in that picture (thought they might be US Southerners for some reason).

So, even someone who does know the faces of some of those politicians wouldn't necessarily get it...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1152 on: November 28, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

This isn't exactly a "normal" place, with "average" people, though. Most here could propably name half US congressman, and and all US presidential candidates since 1789, while your Average Joe could not name a senator from one of his neighbouring states (or equivalent cases in European countries). 99% of people around the world wouldn't recognize someone like Ed Miliband  either, but I would guess a majority here could.

How interesting that a forum at uselectionatlas.org would have such people. I wonder why that is.
Most people here when presented with a picture of Ed Milliband would probably mistake him for Kal Penn, in all honestly.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1153 on: November 28, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »

Folks with kids tend over time, to find there is more merit in the Daddy state, vis a vis the nanny state, than they thought prior to undergoing the experience. They just had to say "no" a lot, just like Daddy does.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #1154 on: November 28, 2013, 08:23:37 PM »

This isn't exactly a "normal" place, with "average" people, though. Most here could propably name half US congressman, and and all US presidential candidates since 1789, while your Average Joe could not name a senator from one of his neighbouring states (or equivalent cases in European countries). 99% of people around the world wouldn't recognize someone like Ed Miliband  either, but I would guess a majority here could.

How interesting that a forum at uselectionatlas.org would have such people. I wonder why that is.
Most people here when presented with a picture of Ed Milliband would probably mistake him for Kal Penn, in all honestly.

Yes, I clearly registered at this place without realizing that US elections were the primary topic of discussion here. Still, you'd think that there would be a pretty big correlation between those interested in the minutiae of obscure American elections and those with an unusual amount of knowledge of Non-American politicians. The percentage of people that could name Miliband here would easily be ten times higher than in the "real world", even if you do mistake him for some actor.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1155 on: November 29, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »

Folks with kids tend over time, to find there is more merit in the Daddy state, vis a vis the nanny state, than they thought prior to undergoing the experience. They just had to say "no" a lot, just like Daddy does.

Bongs kill brain cells kids.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1156 on: November 29, 2013, 12:08:59 PM »

A brilliant company. I've ordered a lot of great stuff through them. With regards to their workers, all I can say is at least they have jobs to go to.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1157 on: November 29, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

I don't think it's fair to blame the bong in this particular case.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1158 on: November 29, 2013, 12:13:47 PM »

A brilliant company. I've ordered a lot of great stuff through them. With regards to their workers, all I can say is at least they have jobs to go to.

The sad thing is, this is a widely accepted position in modern political discourse.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1159 on: November 29, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »

I'm wondering what I'd ever be held accountable to know a damned thing about the leadership of some God-awful other country such as Scandinavia. For the love of all that is Holy, not only is Scandinavia not a country, but it's hardly something large and relevant, like, say, the USSR back in its heyday. I'm not here so I can discuss what wonderful crap happens "across the pond", and you'd be hard pressed to find a single comment of mine on anything international on this forum, and with good reason.

And yeah, I can name a vast amount of past presidential candidates in this country's history. That said, that's because this is America.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1160 on: November 29, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »

Heard on the radio an author who was interesting who had this take as to why folks with kids tended to be more conservative, particularly those who had them relatively young in life, rather than late. It was because when a young couple has kids, even though they had previously lost interest in religion, even if having been exposed to it by their parents, once they had kids, they felt the need to go back, and get help, and expose their kids to some moral values, so they did not become little sociopathic monsters. And with religion back in their lives, well you know what the numbers are as to the politics of those who attend church regularly versus those who don't.

The thing is, is that now, folks are deferring having kids, or not having them at all. And by the time you hit 35 or whatever, religion is but a distant memory, the habit is gone, they are more set in their ways,  in their minds they think that there are higher priorities in life on Sunday morning than going to church, they are more confident that they can guide their rug rats to something other than a jail cell using their own devices, rather than reverting to the Bible, and some guy in a robe, and so they don't go back to church, they remain distant from God, and - their politics does not change.

The author is a conservative, so guess what?  She wants folks to have kids when they're young! Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1161 on: November 29, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »

Didn't like that one either Memphis?  And on that one I was a mere conduit, just repeating what the woman said. You're shooting the mere messenger!
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1162 on: November 29, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »

what

Anyway, a right to live above the poverty line? Is this another example of the endlessly expanding list of 'rights' in today's world.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1163 on: November 29, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »

The last day or so.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=5522;sa=showPosts
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1164 on: November 29, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »

Did you used to be proud to be white or whatever? Yeah, my posts are going to alienate you.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1165 on: November 29, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »

A admitted "former" "White Nationalist."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1166 on: November 29, 2013, 07:25:56 PM »

Of course I was. And I grew out of it. You, apparently, have not.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1167 on: November 29, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »

I agree with you on most of the policies you mention.  I am still one of the few that still agree Saddam Hussein had to be gotten rid of and diplomacy was not going to cut it.  So, I still agree with the Iraq War.  My problem with Iraq is they didn't expect victory so quickly and were unprepared to shut it down real quick and thus allowed the insurgents to take root and we ended up staying there 8 years or so longer than necessary.  The Iraq War should have lasted a month at the most, but it ended up going what? 8 years?   What I was mainly getting at, though, with my original post, is that I believe he was the best man to deal with 9/11.  I don't think Gore would have done as good of a job handling 9/11 as Bush did.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1168 on: November 29, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »

Rightly Sees anti-Semitism, Judaeophobia and anti-Zionism as a cancerous growth upon the Democratic party- and rightly so.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1169 on: November 29, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »

I don't think it's fair to blame the bong in this particular case.

It's more of a rich white man privilege issue.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1170 on: November 30, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »

On if schools should be allowed to teach religion-

Of course. Although when I say religion I really mean Catholicism.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1171 on: December 01, 2013, 12:36:43 AM »

Metal usually sounds good, so obviously that song's not metal...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1172 on: December 01, 2013, 12:44:25 AM »

He's right.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1173 on: December 01, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »

Metal either sounds like someone mowing the lawn or some little kid throwing a temper tantrum by banging on silverware.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1174 on: December 01, 2013, 01:10:53 AM »

Metal either sounds like someone mowing the lawn or some little kid throwing a temper tantrum by banging on silverware.

You misspelled 'emoviolence'.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies