The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:52:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 211506 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: December 16, 2013, 08:16:49 AM »

The title of this thread is exactly why liberals will continue to lose Appalachia.

TNF wins the thread. As has been said before, at least the GOP pretends to care about rural whites. The Democrats approach is "STFU about guns, coal and abortion and do what you're told you ignorant rube".

How exactly does the GOP pretend to care about rural whites?

Like I said: guns, abortion, coal.

So who cares if they and their children go hungry die early due to lack of healthcare, as long as they have their guns and stop zygotes from getting terminated?

Clearly the people of Appalachia are focused on the most important issues in their lives.
The issue is that Dems don't reliably support anything that would alleviate poverty, so why bother voting for a party you disagree with on everything else?

Republicans want to gut food stamps, Democrats don't.
Republicans want to privatize Medicare/Social Security, Democrats don't.
Republicans want to gut Medicaid and reject expansion, Democrats don't.
Republicans want to gut public education and financial aid, Democrats don't.

But clearly, saving the "life" of a blastula is more of a pressing issue than those. I guess I'm just too "elitist" to understand.

Edit: The real issue is that the voters never get the consequences of their vote because the national Democrats save them from their own stupidity by blocking the GOP from destroying the programs that sustain their livelihood. Give Republicans total control of the country for a decade, and even Utah and Texas will be solid D.

Wrong thread.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1326 on: December 16, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »

Read the Edit. It's absurd to assume a one-party state, regardless of circumstance.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1327 on: December 16, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »

Mandela faced far more obstacles in his fight.

No words express the level of distaste I feel towards this post...

Please explain why. This post wasn't meant to say that Dr. King never faced any obstacles but that Mandela struggled against a far more oppressive government opposed to rights for blacks then MLK ever did.

This might be true but it's not a comparison worth making considering that in our country, countless African-Americans were killed or imprisoned with state-sanctioned violence during the struggle for civil rights. It's also worth keeping in mind that MLK was hated by whites at the time of his assassination and was faced by violent mobs in every northern city he went to.
Not all whites.  Some of them maybe, but I'm sure there were plenty that admired him, too.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1328 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »

1968 Presidential Election:

Governor Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI)/Senator ElectionsGuy (R-WI) - 284 EVs
Senator Snowstalker (D-PA)/Governor Adam C. FitzGerald (D-OH) - 254 EVs

Dixie ultimately costs the Democrats in the race the election. Despite unpopularity of the War in Vietnam and an outgoing incumbent Democratic President, Snowstalker and A. FitzGerald become doves on foreign policy promising a full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Vietnam and remain competitive up north while holding a number of southern states. However, still angry over the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the deep south turns against the social Democrats and turn to the more socially conservative Republican Governor of Michigan, Oldiesfreak.

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1329 on: December 16, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »

1968 Presidential Election:

Governor Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI)/Senator ElectionsGuy (R-WI) - 284 EVs
Senator Snowstalker (D-PA)/Governor Adam C. FitzGerald (D-OH) - 254 EVs

Dixie ultimately costs the Democrats in the race the election. Despite unpopularity of the War in Vietnam and an outgoing incumbent Democratic President, Snowstalker and A. FitzGerald become doves on foreign policy promising a full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Vietnam and remain competitive up north while holding a number of southern states. However, still angry over the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the deep south turns against the social Democrats and turn to the more socially conservative Republican Governor of Michigan, Oldiesfreak.

The South was already moving toward Republicans before the civil rights legislation.  And you seriously think white racists would vote for me?

SKIP
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1330 on: December 16, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »

Horrible Practice. In an ideal world, everyone would live in their homelands.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1331 on: December 17, 2013, 12:21:30 PM »

In the 21st century, for me, democracy is almost entirely a means to an end. At the moment, a democratic system (at least in my country) seems to gurantee respect for private property, the rule of law and the nation state. But I have no sentimental attachment to democracy. If a government was to be democratically elected which pledged to nationalise banks permanently, promote atheism in schools, abolish the monarchy, attack the concept of private property and introduce other such policies, I would be perfectly prepared to drop the idea of democracy like a hot brick, and instead support a coup d'etat to remove that administration and replace it with a more agreeable one. As for foreign countries, I would not be averse to financing/effecting coup's against democratically-elected governments who pursued policies which were particularly dangerous to my country or to it's allies. So yes, democracy is a system which a majority of people will support in today's world, but if that system threatens me, or people that I'm close to or sympathise with, then, no, it is not important that it be maintained.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1332 on: December 17, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »

In the 21st century, for me, democracy is almost entirely a means to an end. At the moment, a democratic system (at least in my country) seems to gurantee respect for private property, the rule of law and the nation state. But I have no sentimental attachment to democracy. If a government was to be democratically elected which pledged to nationalise banks permanently, promote atheism in schools, abolish the monarchy, attack the concept of private property and introduce other such policies, I would be perfectly prepared to drop the idea of democracy like a hot brick, and instead support a coup d'etat to remove that administration and replace it with a more agreeable one. As for foreign countries, I would not be averse to financing/effecting coup's against democratically-elected governments who pursued policies which were particularly dangerous to my country or to it's allies. So yes, democracy is a system which a majority of people will support in today's world, but if that system threatens me, or people that I'm close to or sympathise with, then, no, it is not important that it be maintained.

Weird to think he considers himself a member of the Constitution Party.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1333 on: December 17, 2013, 01:36:26 PM »

Not at all. The political faction that decries "tyranny" and proclaims to be defending liberty tends to be the one most opposed to actual democracy.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1334 on: December 17, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »

I don't, but it seems the easiest way of distinguishing my avatar. I originally had an 'other' one, but that was prone to confusion with Sibboleth's.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1335 on: December 17, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »

It's a good post, in the sense that is a magnificent example of reactionary mentality. It might work as an explanatory preamble in a Friends of Pinochet convention.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1336 on: December 17, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1337 on: December 17, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »

Keep in mind that only one of those people actually mean what they say. Tongue
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1338 on: December 17, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »

Every time someone makes an Atlas meme, I feel embarrassed for them.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1339 on: December 17, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »

Opebo is a delightful old rascal, world-weary after spending many years on this earth and experiencing life. Cassius is a naive child with mean-spirited and unpleasant views. There's a world of difference between the two.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1340 on: December 17, 2013, 02:35:44 PM »

Opebo is a delightful old rascal, world-weary after spending many years on this earth and experiencing life. Cassius is a naive child with mean-spirited and unpleasant views. There's a world of difference between the two.

you support democracy now?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1341 on: December 17, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »

you support democracy now?

When have I not supported democracy?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1342 on: December 17, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

Oof, that cuts. Can you give me an example of my naivety, and then I'll see what I can do to rectify it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1343 on: December 17, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »

I mean, everyone's naive when they're your age. You shouldn't worry about it. I'm still plenty naive myself.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1344 on: December 17, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »

Ah, maybe I am a bit naïve. Certainly there's a lot more out there in the world for me to discover. 18... I guess I could still be said to be a child Wink
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1345 on: December 17, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »

HP.

Who is self-centered enough to name his dog after himself?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1346 on: December 17, 2013, 04:10:43 PM »

The leftist love for Opebo is something I cannot comprehend. I'd expect it (and forgive it) in someone like Lief, but for other people, I honestly don't get it.....
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1347 on: December 17, 2013, 04:13:54 PM »

Generally leftists support politicians who expand health insurance coverage to millions of people.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1348 on: December 17, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »

Generally leftists support politicians who expand health insurance coverage to millions of people.
Yeah, but it's not like Opebo is the only one- Hifly15 does too, and he certainly doesn't get a lot of love from leftists on here- despite being as bigoted as Opebo.*

*Opebo, of course, has different targets for his bigotry.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1349 on: December 17, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »

oooh haha I misread "opebo" as "Obama" and was super confused, I haven't slept very much, ignore that post

The reason we love opebo is because he's a lovable scamp.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies