The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 01:35:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 210977 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: August 17, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #476 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:24 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2013, 10:10:39 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

I'm not sure how our esteemed and admired brother memphis managed to pack so much Deluge-worthy material into such a short post, but he did. That's our memphis!

Religion, by definition, is idiotic psychological abuse. We're all sinners in the hands of an angry God.

Not only is it (obviously, to anybody not going out of their way to be disingenuous or simply bigoted or both) a laughably puerile understanding of religion, it's a laughably puerile understanding even of Jonathan Edwards!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #477 on: August 20, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »

Everyone is good at something, and he truly excels at being a cretin.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #478 on: August 20, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »

I'm not sure how our esteemed and admired brother memphis managed to pack so much Deluge-worthy material into such a short post, but he did. That's our memphis!

Religion, by definition, is idiotic psychological abuse. We're all sinners in the hands of an angry God.

Not only is it (obviously, to anybody not going out of their way to be disingenuous or simply bigoted or both) a laughably puerile understanding of religion, it's a laughably puerile understanding even of Jonathan Edwards!

Ah ha ah ha ah ha (snort) a ha.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #479 on: August 20, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2013, 02:00:16 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I'm not sure what this is supposed to indicate.

An understanding of Jonathan Edwards that seems to be limited to the title and general gist of his most famous sermon is, in fact, a puerile one.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #480 on: August 20, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »

An understanding of Jonathan Edwards that seems to be limited to the title and general gist of his most famous sermon is, in fact, a puerile one.
[/quote

How much of an insufferable queen you can be in your catty and acerbic take downs of posters who are perhaps not so agile in defending themselves.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #481 on: August 20, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2013, 02:02:59 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

How much of an insufferable queen you can be in your catty and acerbic take downs of posters who are perhaps not so agile in defending themselves.

Oh. In that case, fair point. I can't really deny that.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #482 on: August 20, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »

Re: The GOP

I mean, they're close. They're essentially one of those far-right populist parties that win about 10% of the vote in most European countries.
Well this is true. I don't see where the GOP as it is could poll more than 10% in Europe, except maybe Poland.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #483 on: August 20, 2013, 03:49:48 PM »

What would be worrying is if you actually liked it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #484 on: August 20, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »

I mean, they're close. They're essentially one of those far-right populist parties that win about 10% of the vote in most European countries.
Well this is true. I don't see where the GOP as it is could poll more than 10% in Europe, except maybe Poland.

You truly underestimate other Eastern European contries.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #485 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »

What would be worrying is if you actually liked it.

I could take or leave that part of my personality, to be honest, although the fact that other people tend not to like it very much inclines me towards 'leave', if I were better at exercising self-control over these things.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #486 on: August 20, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »

Random observation on the above: Atlas Forum, the guy, I find a lot like the pony tailed dude from Good Will Hunting. There is a tendency to take esoteric bits of information, treat it like the most elementary knowledge and then belittle those who did not know it. The overall hubris may even be more off putting about the place to females than the presumed misogyny. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #487 on: August 20, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »

This polls says two things. First is that Jindal is so liked in Louisiana that the voters don't want to see him in any other position other than their governor. Second is that Hillary Clinton matches up pretty well against Republicans without ads tying her to Obama.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #488 on: August 20, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »

Random observation on the above: Atlas Forum, the guy, I find a lot like the pony tailed dude from Good Will Hunting. There is a tendency to take esoteric bits of information, treat it like the most elementary knowledge and then belittle those who did not know it. The overall hubris may even be more off putting about the place to females than the presumed misogyny. 

It's not so much that I think that familiarity with the thought of Jonathan Edwards is or should be elementary knowledge as that taking the title and gist of 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God' and using it, independent of context, to convey some sort of Salient Point about American Christianity is a specific pet peeve of mine, but yeah, I think you're right about this, and I certainly wouldn't call myself 'part of the solution' (although I'm not sure I'd agree that women as a class are a group that this alienates necessarily more than others).
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #489 on: August 20, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »

And Central (Hungary), Western and maybe Southern. The far right populists are in honeymoon in several countries.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #490 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »

It's not so much that I think that familiarity with the thought of Jonathan Edwards is or should be elementary knowledge as that taking the title and gist of 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God' and using it, independent of context, to convey some sort of Salient Point about American Christianity is a specific pet peeve of mine, but yeah, I think you're right about this, and I certainly wouldn't call myself 'part of the solution' (although I'm not sure I'd agree that women as a class are a group that this alienates necessarily more than others).

Broad generalization,obviously, since life doesn't work on a binary, but I think women are more consensus driven. I should also note the tenor of your posts aren't unique really, we all/most do it. In atlas terms, Im not sure you would even make the medal stand. Hashemite is my even money favorite for gold. That young man gets downright volcanic.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #491 on: August 20, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »

And Central (Hungary), Western and maybe Southern. The far right populists are in honeymoon in several countries.

Still, given Obama's general popularity (at least before the NSA leak) and anti-Republican (especially anti-Bush) attitudes in Europe, even after a campaign season I suspect Obama would win every country in Europe except perhaps Georgia if you count that as European. Albania, Kosovo (if you count it as a country), and Poland might be among Obama's flimsier victories.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #492 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »

Regarding to GOP Kal is right suggesting it would have chances in Eastern Europe. Aside from Poland, I'm thinking in Hungary, Czech or Baltic republics. And Georgia, sure, if the country belongs to the "Western Civilization" Grin. I'm totally sure that GOP might get more than 10%, but still might lose in most places.  I'm not sure if all the far right populists would vote Republican in all cases and in all countries. Many voters of traditional conservatives parties in Western Europe would vote Democratic. At least that's true in my country.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #493 on: August 20, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »

As much as Nathan & others do this, in this case I think it is justified. Making an inflammatory statement like "religion is abuse" and then expecting kid gloves is absurd. Now if someone (say a hypothetical girl) had made the Jonathan Edwards comment as part of a coherent and polite argument and we acted the same way, then yes we'd be jerks for being snide about it.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #494 on: August 20, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »

As much as Nathan & others do this, in this case I think it is justified. Making an inflammatory statement like "religion is abuse" and then expecting kid gloves is absurd. Now if someone (say a hypothetical girl) had made the Jonathan Edwards comment as part of a coherent and polite argument and we acted the same way, then yes we'd be jerks for being snide about it.

My main observation is about forum culture in general and not merits. Frequently the arguments are two sides of the same coin.  Below is how I see many forum topics breaking down
A. inflammatory, iron clad declaration with supporting reference
B. OMFG, you are an idiot and here is why you are an idiot. Only utter moron would>> proceed to attack interpretation/knowledge of said reference
c. No, you.
d. Forum firing squad lines up in a circle.
e. rinse and repeat

This doesnt really bother me- I have been here near 10 years now. I continue to read here because there are bright people with informative, well reasoned insights. But it is a sharp elbows, acerbic crowd. And really I'm just a spit ballin.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #495 on: August 21, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »

My main observation is about forum culture in general and not merits. Frequently the arguments are two sides of the same coin.  Below is how I see many forum topics breaking down
A. inflammatory, iron clad declaration with supporting reference
B. OMFG, you are an idiot and here is why you are an idiot. Only utter moron would>> proceed to attack interpretation/knowledge of said reference
c. No, you.
d. Forum firing squad lines up in a circle.
e. rinse and repeat

This doesnt really bother me- I have been here near 10 years now. I continue to read here because there are bright people with informative, well reasoned insights. But it is a sharp elbows, acerbic crowd. And really I'm just a spit ballin.

You are right of course. What's worse is not necessary the people who are acerbic but the 'yeah well said' crowd who follow on and don't really have much to add to anything (as it would betray their own ignorance)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #496 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:05 AM »

Poor Manning. Poor America.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #497 on: August 22, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »

There are certain things though that anyone who posts on a forum like Atlas should be smart enough to not buy into and deserve ridicule if brought up for how much they degrade the quality of analysis here. Such as claiming that Western Pennsylvania is full of "Reagan Democrats" or the poll re-weighting garbage we saw last year.

What's being discussed above does not necessarily fall into that category of course.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #498 on: August 22, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »

That's not even the worst thing in that thread, this is:

This might be just a ploy to try and serve out his sentence in a women's prison.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #499 on: August 22, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »

That's not even the worst thing in that thread, this is:

This might be just a ploy to try and serve out his sentence in a women's prison.

Lol. That reply wasn't there when I posted in the Deluge.

Btw, the intention is not so much to ridicule like to call the attention on the lack of decency and humanity in certain comments, even if it's not intentional and is only a reflection of certain mentality that exists in the society.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies