The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:57:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 208672 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »

Do I care about breaches of privacy? Yes. I supposed my less than outraged reaction is due to the fact that I just assumed the government was doing it.

To clarify I do understand the outrage from other people - personally, because I just assumed such practices were already happening ... it wasn't a shock therefore doesn't incite much at all from me.

I don't think it warranted that kind of response.

Completely agree.  If you are scared of surveliance and spying, then you have something to hide.  If you have nothing to hide, then the government/police won't see anything incriminating.  Palantir is a cool company and they are the "person of interest computer" that powers online spying.  I think that we live in an age of complete transparency, and if you want to keep secrets, then don't post anything online ever.  Transparency is a 2 way street and we want the government to be transparent and hold them responsible, but we also have to hold ourselves responsible as responsible law abiding citizens.  Every president and liberal president promises to "change the culture of government" but it doesn't surprise me at all that once a Democrat President gets into office, he/she sees how amazing the power he has and uses all this power of the executive branch to his fullest power to obtain re-election and other goals.  The Constitution is merely a document that may "change based on the times" and we live in a time where Transparency beats Privacy, and the Constitution is a contract that is only enforceable by lawsuits and jailtime, so unless the president, AG, IRS, etc. are impeached or jailed, then none of these spying practices will be considered wrong.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »

And as manufacturing moves back to the US but in work-for-less states, we may see union influence/activism shift to the South, making it the new Rust Belt.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »

I see a lot of people here clamming that the Northeast and the Midwest could be competitive in the future because the Democratic Party is performing poorly among whites.

While I agree that the Midwest would be more competitive in the future, I disagree that this is a case in the Northeast.

That the Democratic Party is losing the white vote is out of its control. The Democratic Party is strong in the Midwest because of unionized labor. Unions have been experiencing a deep decline especially in the Midwest and that mean that the strength of the Democratic Party in that region will recede.

The Democratic Party is a strong in the Northeast because the Northeast is very socially liberal. When the Republican Party embraced cultural conservatism, it alienated a lot of northeasterners and bring it to the Democratic fold.

As a result, while the Midwest will likely become more Republican, the Northeast will be unlikely to change significantly.

How is this a bad post? It's probably the most likely electoral map going forward.

I don't think he took kindly to a blue MN. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2013, 12:03:36 PM by So the Heroes Fall »

Well yes. Which is quite ignorant of the fact that union voters make up a minority of our Democrats and that the unions here are not primarily in declining industries. " The Democratic Party is strong in the Midwest because of unionized labor." is a such an oversimplified statement it's quite silly.

And the fact that there are far more minorities amongst Illinois Democrats than white union members and that unions are obviously not why the Democrats do far better in the Chicago suburbs now than 20-30 years ago.

And the fact that Iowa is already a right to "work" state and that unions are not a big factor there nor a reason for its relative Democraticness.

And the fact that as union members retire and die off the replacement voters are a from a voting bloc that is more Democratic than than they are (18-29 white voters in the Midwest were stronger for Obama both times than the 60/40 that union members voted.)

And other things about that map but not about the Midwest.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »

And the fact that Iowa is already a right to "work" state and that unions are not a big factor there nor a reason for its relative Democraticness.
Oddly, it has some of the most Democratic Whites and of the most Democratic bluecollar Whites anyhow... Grin
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2013, 09:26:07 AM »

Hong Kong is far less repressive than our own totalitarian hellhole (for example, people are allowed to and regularly do protest in favor of the violent overthrow of the mainland Chinese government).  But then, you'd probably have to be some sort of college-educated fancy pants or something to figure that out.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »

The Constitution, in favor of the Articles of Confederation.  Of course, one must point out at this point its illegal adoption.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »

On Reagan and race:
Perhaps not in his early life.  But he clearly became a closet racist at the same time at which he became a far-right extremist.  He campaigned for Charlton Lyons (a segregationist gubernatorial candidate in Louisiana) in 1964.  And one cannot doubt that he subtly tried to court the votes of racist Southerners: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan's_Neshoba_County_Fair_%22states'_rights%22_speech
And he campaigned with Strom Thurmond.  He pursued a policy of "constructive engagement" with the regime in South Africa and recognized them, vetoing bills to put sanctions on them.  He supported them against the ANC.  If that isn't a closet racist, I don't know what is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »

B, thanks to the IPU pressure the moderation has improved.

People actually take this IPU thing seriously and it's not just a running gag? WTF?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2013, 01:50:35 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2013, 09:30:14 AM by a Mideast Assemblyperson »

When I was visiting Berlin, my hostel was in a Turkish neighborhood. They had these little hotdog stands that said Currywurst on them. I thought it must be some cool fusion that would be amazing. Nope. Regular American style hotdog with ketchup and curry powder on it. So gross!  

That anyone fears big business is astounding. What world do you live in?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »

People actually take this IPU thing seriously and it's not just a running gag? WTF?

Yea, it's absurd to put it mildly.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2013, 04:26:30 PM »

Seems like an obvious joke to me.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2013, 06:20:47 PM »

Seems like an obvious joke to me.

One would think so.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »

Not in the least. I daresay Snowden clued us in once and for all as to who the true terrorists are.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »

I think we are all overlooking one very important aspect of this. If the Millennial Generation is considered to be those born in the 20 year age range of 1980-2000 or even a longer age range of say 1980-2010 or so, there can still be drastic differences in their upbringing and ideas on the issues.

For example, I am a Millennial. I was born in 1988. My very first memories of life begin in 1990/1991. I remember my parents enjoyed watching The Cosby Show, Empty Nest, Cheers, Night Court and L.A. Law. By the time I was in grade school, it was Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier and E.R. that seemed to dominate TV in my home. I remember my first trip to the movies after Thanksgiving dinner in 1992 to go see "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York". 

I remember historic events unfolding, from the trial of O.J. Simpson to Oklahoma City, TWA Flight 800 (which bombarded more news in the late Summer and Fall of 1996 than even did the Clinton/Dole election), Monica Lewinsky, Elian Gonzales (which dominated the news for much of early 2000), Bush v. Gore and then by the time I was in Jr. High and becoming a teenager, 9/11/01.

As far as music goes, I remember A LOT of Phil Collins, Paula Abdul and Whitney Houston music which by the time I reached my preteen years had disappeared in favor of Backstreet Boys, N'Sync and Britney Spears. During my childhood, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty and others that had blared from my parent's cassette tapes were having what was (atleast up to 2013) there last significant mainstream billboard hits.

The term "social media" was not nearly heard as much until I was already an adult. Indeed, when YouTube came about, I was already 17 years old. We didn't get a home computer until December 2000. I was in 4th grade when my school got computers in every classroom. I was a teenager outgrowing video games when they released Playstation 2. Indeed, Playstation and Nintendo 64 were the last video game consoles I ever had.

Compare all this with others close to my age in the Millennial generation. If they are 18 years old, born in 1995, and begin to remember life at the same time that I did (two-three years after birth), then their first memories would be from 1997 or 1998. HUGE DIFFERENCE. That means they have no recollection of O.J. Simpson or Jon Benet Ramsey. They never heard a new song by Rod Stewart or Tom Petty on the radio unless it was an oldies station. They shake their heads when you ask them about Cheers or L.A. Law or Empty Nest.

My "Nick at Nite" was The Bob Newhart Show, Bewitched, Happy Days, I Love Lucy, Welcome Back, Kotter and Taxi. By the time a "Millennial" who may be only six or seven years younger than me saw Nick at Nite, he would have seen The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Roseanne, Wings and The Cosby Show. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

While I was 14 years old at a rally for supporting the troops (and George W. Bush) in 2002, they were only seven year old kids, and by the time they were 14 years old, it would be 2009 and all they would know of George W. Bush would be that he just left office unpopular and that he couldn't open a door. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Also, our parents raised us differently. My father was born in 1955. There are 18 year old kids in my same generation with parents born the same decade I was. It can cause a major difference in someone's upbringing.

Don't simplify the Millennial Generation. The gaps are huge.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »

Classic.

It is curious though that Naso doesn't mention anything about him going to High School on a computer?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2013, 08:59:11 PM »

I think we are all overlooking one very important aspect of this. If the Millennial Generation is considered to be those born in the 20 year age range of 1980-2000 or even a longer age range of say 1980-2010 or so, there can still be drastic differences in their upbringing and ideas on the issues.

For example, I am a Millennial. I was born in 1988. My very first memories of life begin in 1990/1991. I remember my parents enjoyed watching The Cosby Show, Empty Nest, Cheers, Night Court and L.A. Law. By the time I was in grade school, it was Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier and E.R. that seemed to dominate TV in my home. I remember my first trip to the movies after Thanksgiving dinner in 1992 to go see "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York". 

I remember historic events unfolding, from the trial of O.J. Simpson to Oklahoma City, TWA Flight 800 (which bombarded more news in the late Summer and Fall of 1996 than even did the Clinton/Dole election), Monica Lewinsky, Elian Gonzales (which dominated the news for much of early 2000), Bush v. Gore and then by the time I was in Jr. High and becoming a teenager, 9/11/01.

As far as music goes, I remember A LOT of Phil Collins, Paula Abdul and Whitney Houston music which by the time I reached my preteen years had disappeared in favor of Backstreet Boys, N'Sync and Britney Spears. During my childhood, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty and others that had blared from my parent's cassette tapes were having what was (atleast up to 2013) there last significant mainstream billboard hits.

The term "social media" was not nearly heard as much until I was already an adult. Indeed, when YouTube came about, I was already 17 years old. We didn't get a home computer until December 2000. I was in 4th grade when my school got computers in every classroom. I was a teenager outgrowing video games when they released Playstation 2. Indeed, Playstation and Nintendo 64 were the last video game consoles I ever had.

Compare all this with others close to my age in the Millennial generation. If they are 18 years old, born in 1995, and begin to remember life at the same time that I did (two-three years after birth), then their first memories would be from 1997 or 1998. HUGE DIFFERENCE. That means they have no recollection of O.J. Simpson or Jon Benet Ramsey. They never heard a new song by Rod Stewart or Tom Petty on the radio unless it was an oldies station. They shake their heads when you ask them about Cheers or L.A. Law or Empty Nest.

My "Nick at Nite" was The Bob Newhart Show, Bewitched, Happy Days, I Love Lucy, Welcome Back, Kotter and Taxi. By the time a "Millennial" who may be only six or seven years younger than me saw Nick at Nite, he would have seen The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Roseanne, Wings and The Cosby Show. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

While I was 14 years old at a rally for supporting the troops (and George W. Bush) in 2002, they were only seven year old kids, and by the time they were 14 years old, it would be 2009 and all they would know of George W. Bush would be that he just left office unpopular and that he couldn't open a door. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Also, our parents raised us differently. My father was born in 1955. There are 18 year old kids in my same generation with parents born the same decade I was. It can cause a major difference in someone's upbringing.

Don't simplify the Millennial Generation. The gaps are huge.

He should host a late 80s/early 90s nostalgia radio show.  He really should. 
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »

Because that is the math, even as the nation becomes less white. Why? Because there are still a lot of whites, and more of them are working class than you think. The nation overall is just not like Orange County, CA, or San Francisco, or Manhattan, or San Jose, etc.  It is more like Winchester, Virginia in fact, when it comes to working class whites. Working class whites ("WCW's") don't like big cities much anymore.

How can the Dems seal the deal?  The author says the old fashioned way, by the Dems returning to their roots and becoming the friends and neighbors of WCW's once again (and although the author does not say this, getting outside of their urban satrapies). It seems a bit of a buggy whip solution to me. Plus, the Dems don't want to live in Winchester. They don't live the lives of working class whites - and don't want to. They don't hunt. They don't really like to go to church that much although they may say they are religious. And just how often do you see them at High School football games? No, the Dems, and those who aspire to lead them,  want as it were to live in places like Whittier and Como in Minneapolis, to pick two hoods at random, not, and watch independent films.

So, for the moment, given the shape of the two competing coalitions, and unless the Dems get down and dirty in Winchester, the Pubs will tend to have the advantage in off year elections, and the Dems in POTUS elections, when persons of color, and youngs find the time to put down their bongs, and go out and vote in a way they don't in off year elections, which tend to be boring provincial affairs that seem sort of meaningless to them.

Emphasis my own.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2013, 11:43:30 AM »

the Pubs will tend to have the advantage in off year elections, and the Dems in POTUS elections, when persons of color, and youngs find the time to put down their bongs, and go out and vote in a way they don't in off year elections

Emphasis my own.

Dear Lord.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »

Just consider it all my little Naso moment. And thanks for putting it up, Mr. Kemp. I enjoyed reading it all again. Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »

Classic.

It is curious though that Naso doesn't mention anything about him going to High School on a computer?
To be fair, that is an innovation worth mentioning about the newer generations. We're still at the beginning of a profound shift in education. Back in my day, the pace of the class was set by the teacher and students were merely along for the ride. Fall behind or bored with a slow pace? Too bad. We were all in the same boat getting pushed by the same current. Now, education can be more about the individual student, who (ideally) can take more ownership for his own progress and move at individualized pace with more frequent checks of competence. Every day teaching becomes less about content delivery and more about mentoring, parental communication, and data management.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »

Prisoners should be able to vote. It's a no brainer. If prisoners can't vote, what's to stop the government from throwing all of their opponents into jail so they can't vote? Oh wait, that's already what happens in the US!
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »

Any power that Big Business has is only because they have manipulated Big Government.
Good point.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 12:10:37 AM »

No,  but its not anything against the Xbox.  I just don't play video games very often.  When I do I use the Wii, but I hook it up maybe once a year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies