The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:25:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 208483 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: September 12, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
« edited: September 12, 2013, 01:19:38 PM by Torie »

Am I the only one who do the responsible thing if I caught HIV/AIDS?

Kill yourself (and the person who gave it to you). It's what any decent person would do.

I'm still kind of reeling from this, honestly, and come to think of it, following the link back to the thread because I guess I'm a masochist or something, a little confused as to why the responses to it were deleted but it itself wasn't. If there was ever a post that makes the Forum as a whole look worse for having it...

This is the type of statement which if the pattern persists will probably result in a certain poster's involuntary exit. Advocating murder as a decent act that any decent person would and should do just cannot stand. The post was reported of course, and when I saw the report, I flipped out, and I was not the only mod to have that reaction.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #626 on: September 12, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »

Vosem empty quoting my favourite colour:

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #627 on: September 12, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »

Also, while in many ways the US and the World has been ruined by 9/11, Pinochets neoliberal economic policies are partially reprehensible for Chile near-abolishing absolute poverty and becoming the big economic powerhouse of the region, and since 1989, a relatively stable democracy.
I am not against neo-liberalism (though I oppose the internationalist foreign policy that all too often accompanies it), defending Pinochet in any way is absurd. The guy was the worst South American dictator by far.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #628 on: September 12, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »

BUSHIE

Have you tried the Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger at Wendy's?  I had one at lunch today and it just might be the best fast food burger I've ever had.

Put down whatever burger you were planning on having tonight and get one of this things, man.

I don't find the pretzel bc appealing.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #629 on: September 12, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »

BUSHIE

Have you tried the Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger at Wendy's?  I had one at lunch today and it just might be the best fast food burger I've ever had.

Put down whatever burger you were planning on having tonight and get one of this things, man.

I don't find the pretzel bc appealing.

"bc" must give him bad "BM."
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #630 on: September 12, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »

Kill yourself (and the person who gave it to you). It's what any decent person would do.

I'm still kind of reeling from this, honestly, and come to think of it, following the link back to the thread because I guess I'm a masochist or something, a little confused as to why the responses to it were deleted but it itself wasn't. If there was ever a post that makes the Forum as a whole look worse for having it...

This is the type of statement which if the pattern persists will probably result in a certain poster's involuntary exit. Advocating murder as a decent act that any decent person would and should do just cannot stand. The post was reported of course, and when I saw the report, I flipped out, and I was not the only mod to have that reaction.

I gave it a 10, but was sorely tempted to use that happy little "50" option.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #631 on: September 12, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »

My, my... Cory's musings on AIDS have certainly become one for the ages, no?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #632 on: September 12, 2013, 07:27:51 PM »

Might be time to lock this thread, as I can't fathom how anyone would top what Cory said.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #633 on: September 12, 2013, 07:40:02 PM »

Not on the level of encouraging suicide, but...

AFAIK most of the people who died in Chile were killed for choosing to express their views and destabilize the millitary regime, which, though of course right, is also a personal and avoidable choice which could have been expected to have such results. The victims iof 9/11 were murdered by random chance for no good reason pertaining to their behavior.
Also, while in many ways the US and the World has been ruined by 9/11, Pinochets neoliberal economic policies are partially reprehensible for Chile near-abolishing absolute poverty and becoming the big economic powerhouse of the region, and since 1989, a relatively stable democracy.

"If you didn't want to get brutally raped, tortured, and murdered by a totalitarian dictatorship, you should have just shut up!"

(not to mention Pinochet's domestic record was quite awful unless you only care about growth)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #634 on: September 12, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »

Should we rig the forum up with virtual balloons and horns, and give General Mung Beens a check for finding the single most absurd, ignorant, and bad post ever?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #635 on: September 12, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »

Should we rig the forum up with virtual balloons and horns, and give General Mung Beens a check for finding the single most absurd, ignorant, and bad post ever?

At the very least we should name this thread after Cory.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #636 on: September 12, 2013, 10:25:14 PM »

one of my theories is that the dems will turn more into the Al Sharpton party which will cause a lot of white liberal defections to the GOP. So the dems then become a patronage-ridden race hustling party while the republicans become the white liberal party. You already see this type of stuff happening in New York to some extent.

Are we sure there isn't some new forum bug transferring posts from 1983 Usenet discussions into present day?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #637 on: September 13, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »

He's probably just referring to the prestige that senators like Jesse Helms had.  Regardless of his views on race, Helms was a widely respected figure in the Senate. 

FTR: When Chris Dodd said that Robert Byrd would have made a "great senator at any time in history," nobody seemed to bother pointing out Byrd's racism and KKK ties, so this is yet another example of the double standard that the liberal media uses on racial issues.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #638 on: September 13, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »

The only thing which will prevent (or deter) future crimes like this is to allow unrestricted purchase of firearms, and allow unrestricted open or concealed carry of firearms by the law-abiding.

A big government response, like longer, harsher sentences, drastically increasing the prison population, and making more piss-ant crimes felonies won't do the trick.

And have something like stand your ground laws too.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #639 on: September 13, 2013, 06:56:16 PM »

Walter, for all your protestations above loving poors, you sure do seem to support a lot of policies and politicians that repeatedly screw them over.

oh i certainly dont love poors.  most poors are pretty unsavory characters.

i do support basic government safety nets.  for example, i dont believe anyone should ever go hungry.  i dont think that is a radical idea.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #640 on: September 13, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

Would I be giving him too much credit to suggest that maybe Cory's over-the-top reaction should be taken as a kneejerk expression of disgust at the actions of the individual the thread's about rather than a general policy? Bear in mind I've avoided most of whatever the Cory controversy is so I might be way off.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #641 on: September 14, 2013, 01:14:06 AM »

Jim Trafficant
Janet Napolitano
Joe Lieberman
Tim Ryan
Ed Rendell
Joe Manchin

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #642 on: September 14, 2013, 05:37:42 AM »

Here's a post about Chile that actually deserves to be here:

Wow, I actually had no idea that the anniversary of this horrible event was today as well, though I guess my thoughts have understandably been on another matter. Certainly an example of imperialistic US foreign policy worth remembering.

How so?  The CIA wasn't really involved in the coup.

Eh, that's technically true and not exactly absurd, ignorant or bad. The CIA didn't really have any direct involvement in the coup aside from perhaps learning about it beforehand and not bothering to do anything about it.

No, it's technically false, really, but it's indeed not as absurd as people with only a perfunctory at-a-glance knowledge of events would think it. The CIA, after badly botching its own coup, merely remained in contact with those potential coupists still in position, encouraged them in every way, reported back on everything they heard, but did not give material support (except, to a very slight degree, during the coup itself). This was headquarters (and White House) policy that the local operatives had to be reminded of.
The CIA were only told the coup date 24 hours before it happened, but I'm not sure how much earlier Pinochet himself knew the exact date.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #643 on: September 14, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »

Would I be giving him too much credit to suggest that maybe Cory's over-the-top reaction should be taken as a kneejerk expression of disgust at the actions of the individual the thread's about rather than a general policy? Bear in mind I've avoided most of whatever the Cory controversy is so I might be way off.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #644 on: September 14, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »

Context:
he is moderate and politically talented enough for the state.
(Emphasis mine)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #645 on: September 14, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »

I think what oakvale is asking is if it's possible that that post is itself a kneejerk overreaction rather than something Cory means seriously. To which I'd respond that Cory has in the past been (and had to be) very assiduous in trying to define how exactly the type of eugenics that he self-confessedly believes in differs from other types of eugenics, so while this is a particularly severe expression of hostility and honestly not one that even I would have expected, it's really not outside the range of the rest of his thinking.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #646 on: September 14, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »

Thank you, try again.

Bobby Jindal is about as boring white boy suburbanite as you can get. I wish there was anything ethno-religious-cultural about him that made him interesting.

India as a country is just a train wreck too.

This ends my brief old man rant about Indians.

Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #647 on: September 15, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #648 on: September 15, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »

Of course, most of WalterMitty's posts belong here, but this one in particular stands out:

Voted for the option that considered George W. Bush to be a good president.

bush was pretty liberal.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #649 on: September 15, 2013, 10:27:39 PM »

Vapid celebration of the objectification of women and the imposition of beauty standards on said half of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies