The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:27:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 208558 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »

You think the conclusion someone has come to from their own "lived-in" experience is "disgusting?" Those are strong words...
If they "chose" their sexuality, then I question their ability to have a sexuality at all.  That just screams "sociopath"...

Sociopaths often don't have a preference for either, thus making a "choice" much easier.  Choosing to be gay in such situations may be beneficial for whatever purposes they're working towards.

And I don't sympathize with sociopaths.

So again... yeah, it is disgusting.  If a "gay" guy says he "chose" it, cut that guy out of your life.  He's probably trying to take advantage of you or manipulate you somehow... as sociopaths are wont to do.

Hardly absurd, ignorant, or bad.  Not surprising that you would defend people who say it's a choice.

I would hope it's not surprising. Even were I less symbolic interactionist in my worldview, I would hope that I could be counted on not to support condemning people on as firm a basis as one might obtain from a cursory reading of an article in Psychology Today.  I would much rather find out what leads them to experience their sexuality in that way, but of course if you have already decided you are not going to sympathize with someone, you can't come to any real understanding of them.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1476 on: January 07, 2014, 09:12:14 AM »

I think my joke in the other thread makes it quite clear how I voted... which is of course the way that virtually everyone on a political forum should vote.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1477 on: January 07, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=185046.0
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1478 on: January 08, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »

I wasn't sure if here or the Comedy Goldmine was more appropriate

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1479 on: January 08, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »

The authoritarian left does its best to entirely nullify the democratic process, especially in the South.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1480 on: January 08, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »

I wasn't sure if here or the Comedy Goldmine was more appropriate

Not wrong.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1481 on: January 08, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »

Yes, the GOP is very good at attaining it's goals.  To a right-winger, being a poor is WRONG and this is the just reward. 

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1482 on: January 08, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »

Republicans once again reveal their malicious and hate filled core.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #1483 on: January 08, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »

FF. The whole running the the anti-Catholic ticket thing is a bit of a bummer, but I've always felt that in the English-speaking world, anti-Catholicism has often been a cover for pure anti-Irish bigotry. So I'm off the hook.

I guess Hitler is an FF too, since he didn't want to kill you either.  Right?

Ooh, hello Godwin! Anti-Irish bigots have often been quite capable of backing up their bigotry on quite reasonable grounds. The Irish (especially the diaspora, doubly especially Nth-generation descendants in the United States) can be quite quite awful people.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1484 on: January 08, 2014, 10:31:32 PM »

I consider Johnson to be a RINO.
Same for Sensenbrenner.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1485 on: January 09, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »

For some reason, I'm not surprised that there's someone from Montana who admits they don't take showers.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1486 on: January 09, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »

For some reason, I'm not surprised that there's someone from Montana who admits they don't take showers.

Haha, that is pretty bad. That reminds me of the people I met growing up (more than one sadly) who were surprised to find out we had cable TV in North Dakota.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1487 on: January 09, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »

It's about time someone got to 'em.

This essentially sums up my view on thid. Christianity would have found it hard to progress and obtain it's dominant position (in terms of the faith held by the majority of people in the western world, at least until the 20th century) without isolating and/or crushing rival systems of 'belief'. As to the comment that this form of Christianity is intellectually and philosophically lazy, well, all I can say is that not everybody has the intelligence and is well-versed enough in philosophy to understand the deeper points of Christianity (I certainly don't). Does that mean it should simply fester on the irrelevent fringe of those capable of understanding the religion in it's entirety? No, and if some purity of thought is sacrificed in the process of getting the basic message across, then, frankly, the end justifies the means.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1488 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »

John Brown, the greatest American whoever lived.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1489 on: January 09, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »

True Leftism at its worst:

Better GOP dominance than dominance by the current Democratic Party, which on the one hand manages to silence opposition from progressives to it enacting a neoliberal agenda. The Obama administration is a far more reactionary one than even the Bush administration, with the deterioration of the social safety net proceeding at full speed under Obama, as well as the continued obliteration of human rights in the face of a now larger and more powerful (as well as legally sanctioned - Thanks Obama!) national security state. Obama has governed markedly to the right of Bush throughout his tenure. A Democratic Party in his image is a danger to literally every progressive, and should not be welcomed or supported with open arms, as it's primary goal is the implementation of neoliberal policy outcomes with a 'progressive' veneer.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1490 on: January 09, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »

No, he he is fine. People don't care about this unless it effected them.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1491 on: January 09, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »

It's amazing how benconstine is exactly the same moderate hero that he was when he was 14.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1492 on: January 10, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »

Just imagine the positions of a 75 year old Southern Baptist... you've got hifly... but give him this, it must be rare to think he's on the winning side of an argument for once.

Are you insane? One could not think of a worse comparison; apart from on maybe 2 issues I don't see how I would have anything in common with a 75 year old Southern Baptist (I assume a white conservative one). And on the limited issues we would agree on our reasoning would be entirely different. Would you also compare Julia Gillard to a Southern Baptist?
I oppose the casual use of all drugs. I also oppose smoking tobacco and persistent alcohol consumption.

This isn't a public policy argument. It's the unilateral decree coming from someone with a tyrannical mindset. If large portions of the population want to use relatively benign drugs, who are you to say otherwise? Your opposition to liberalization of drug laws strikes me as an aesthetic judgement rendered as ethics. The same goes for your positions on gay marriage. You offer no explanation behind your preferences that goes beyond saying "I don't want that".

It's called living in a democracy; I am allowed to not support casual drug, tobacco and persistent alcohol use, because all allow for a damaged society. And the vast, vast majority of the German population does not want to allow for casual use of drugs either, as evidenced by this poll.
I've already clearly offered my argument against redefining marriage numerous times.
And my stances against drug, tobacco and alcohol use have clearly not been a hindrance, as my academic achievements are way beyond those of most who lurk this forum.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1493 on: January 10, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »

It's amazing how benconstine is exactly the same moderate hero that he was when he was 14.

"Well, slavery was not very good, but John Brown..."
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1494 on: January 10, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »

True Leftism at its worst:

Better GOP dominance than dominance by the current Democratic Party, which on the one hand manages to silence opposition from progressives to it enacting a neoliberal agenda. The Obama administration is a far more reactionary one than even the Bush administration, with the deterioration of the social safety net proceeding at full speed under Obama, as well as the continued obliteration of human rights in the face of a now larger and more powerful (as well as legally sanctioned - Thanks Obama!) national security state. Obama has governed markedly to the right of Bush throughout his tenure. A Democratic Party in his image is a danger to literally every progressive, and should not be welcomed or supported with open arms, as it's primary goal is the implementation of neoliberal policy outcomes with a 'progressive' veneer.
Is that sh**t in the sage garden?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1495 on: January 11, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »

I'm afraid the mods will treat our avatar like a

Certainly opebo won't be the last casualty in the efforts to fully sterilize the forum.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1496 on: January 11, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »

Some people care to much.

Honestly, you'd think that this forum was ancient Rome 44 BC, in the aftermath of Gaius Julius Caesar's (Opebo) brutal death at the hands of his Senatorial colleagues (the moderators).

(Sorry for the bullsh**t analogy, but I thought I throw one in since other people seem to be doing it Wink)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1497 on: January 11, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »

Against, obviously. This seems like he's continuing the Bloomberg style of banning ridiculous things.

None of Bloomberg's bans were ridiculous.

The childish libertarian belief that people and corporations should have the absolute freedom to poison other people is what's ridiculous.
Because corporations are forcing fat people at gunpoint to eat at McDonalds and drink their large sodas.

Bloomberg never banned soda. People could still drink as much soda as they wanted to drink.
As much soda as they want to drink....as long as it is not in a large cup.
Glad I can still get my 64-ounce Super Big Gulp here in Michigan.

Unfortunately for NYC, it looks like Bill De Blasio's finger is thicker than Bloomberg's waist (and those bans are probably why.)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1498 on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:05 AM »

It's a shame, because he's such a cool guy and a great poster:

Let me see here:

Samuel Adams
John Brown
Eugene Debs
Gore Vidal
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1499 on: January 12, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »

Some people care to much.

Honestly, you'd think that this forum was ancient Rome 44 BC, in the aftermath of Gaius Julius Caesar's (Opebo) brutal death at the hands of his Senatorial colleagues (the moderators).

(Sorry for the bullsh**t analogy, but I thought I throw one in since other people seem to be doing it Wink)

Perhaps a better analogy would be Jerusalem circa 30 CE.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies