The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:17:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 208517 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: January 30, 2014, 05:11:53 PM »

They should do nationwide preclearance- not that that would happen. Sad

The new law would allow for any state to be required to go through preclearance if they commit a certain number of violations. Unfortunately Voter ID will not be considered a violation.

Voter ID objections issued by some scumbags at the Department of Justice would not be considered a violation. Voter ID objections issued by a neutral court of law would be counter.

Krazen discussed the same article over at RedRacingHorses, but didn't feel the need to resort to petty namecalling over there for some reason.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1676 on: January 30, 2014, 05:13:47 PM »

They should do nationwide preclearance- not that that would happen. Sad

The new law would allow for any state to be required to go through preclearance if they commit a certain number of violations. Unfortunately Voter ID will not be considered a violation.

Voter ID objections issued by some scumbags at the Department of Justice would not be considered a violation. Voter ID objections issued by a neutral court of law would be counter.

Krazen discussed the same article over at RedRacingHorses, but didn't feel the need to resort to petty namecalling over there for some reason.

Wtf, are you stalking krazen around the internet?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1677 on: January 30, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »

Wtf, are you stalking krazen around the internet?

No, we just happen to visit some of the same sites. I don't see why he's a troll here, but a decent poster elsewhere.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1678 on: January 30, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »

Some guy overreacts and misses the point in an embarrassing way -

I agree with all of these.  And Macklemore is nothing special.  I don't know if Macklemore's success is because of white racism though.  I think his "socially conscious" lyrics, sales and cuteness all factor in.

Kanye is far more socially conscious than Macklemore, the latter has just taken on an issue that's basically safe (especially in 2013/14) and devoted a third of said song to insisting he wasn't gay. Meanwhile, actual intelligent lyrics about the systematic racism that pervades America today are rejected by the Grammy committee.

Yes, because homophobia isn't serious anymore. At all. There aren't still kids killing themselves, being thrown out, running away, suffering depression, being put through gay conversion therapy, and beaten and taunted on a daily basis anymore, or the whole gay marriage thing raging right now.

Some of us who are living through the above appreciate Same Love, rather than appreciating Kanye's misogyny and stupidity which poisons his work.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1679 on: January 30, 2014, 11:49:42 PM »

Sandra Fluke did more to prevent abortion than any individual person in American history
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1680 on: January 30, 2014, 11:53:09 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 11:55:48 PM by Horus »

I agree with all of these.  And Macklemore is nothing special.  I don't know if Macklemore's success is because of white racism though.  I think his "socially conscious" lyrics, sales and cuteness all factor in.

Kanye is far more socially conscious than Macklemore, the latter has just taken on an issue that's basically safe (especially in 2013/14) and devoted a third of said song to insisting he wasn't gay. Meanwhile, actual intelligent lyrics about the systematic racism that pervades America today are rejected by the Grammy committee.

I think Macklemore has pretty uninteresting lyrics, but homophobia is still a major issue, particularly in the hip-hop and black community.  Plus, his music is just safer and more wholly positive.  There's a reason why he's perceived as more of a politically aware artist.

I like Kanye's music, but he does throw around the N-word and he's a fairly misogynist and materialistic in his lyrics.  I don't see how he has much of a social conscience outside of protesting for Kanye West's rights.

White liberal racism example #2523647

How is anything I said racist?

Nothing was racist, but you are taking the fact that Kanye is using the N-Word and saying that sets a bad example. All socially conscious rappers use that term. It is sometimes offensive and sometimes not, all depends on who is saying, why they are saying it, and if it ends in -a or -er. They are after all different terms.

Secondly, Kanye is actually anti-consumerist, and has spoken out against being overly materialistic. As for misogynism? Lol, just Lol. Too $hort is misogynist, Kanye not at all.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1681 on: January 31, 2014, 12:24:59 AM »

Since when is it a crime for people to vote their best interest? African Americans vote Democratic because many of them are on the outside of soceity and thus a party built around ostensibly uplifting the disconnected are a natural target and thus even if racism were eliminated as a factor as were its resulting partially media driven, partially self imposed taint, is 75%-25% or maybe even a 67%-33% not an unreasonable split between a Liberal and a Conservative party amongst African Americans? Certainly the embrace of the Democrats to the turn of 75%-25% in the New Deal Era based largely around this concept, even in spite of the rather disgusting segregationists both Conservative and Progressive still tolerated within the party and paid lip service to by FDR, shows such is the case to some extent. That said perhaps what the left fears is that the mere perception of inclusivness will reduce that 95% to 90% or 85%, which begins to make things a bit more difficult in Florida, Ohio and Virginia.

When you win 50-50 and you depend upon a monolithic voting block as a piece of that, you will go to any lengths to prevent it from becoming less monolithic. 12% of the electorate means that every five percent lost amonst African Americans translates into .6% being slice from your nationwide PV and thus going down to 85% would take 51% and make it 49.8% and likewise 47% becomes 48.2%. OH is even worse where 51-47 becomes 49.5% to 48.5% 1.7% nationwide and 1.0% in OH as opposed 4 and 4. That is a big shift!). Not that you have any reason to be afraid since the GOP is doing your work for you as it is, but that is the point isn't it. The Democrats have not "settled" when it comes to efforts to ensure unanimity amongst African American's, even when such is totally unnecessary.  

I think it is rather fitting that states with bad histories of racial injustice are finally willing to elect minorities. It shows that such people now prioritize their principles and positions over color. Isn't that progress in and off itself, even if rather slow? Is it racist for them not vote for a liberal African American when most would also have not vote for John Kerry or Howard Dean? Granted you have the trends in LA, AR and KY and WV to be considered, just shows there is more work to do. You are talking single digit shifts between swing adjusted Kerry and Obama numbers, maybe teens at best.

One of the big problems with the left in general is that it has turned injustice, of all kinds, into being the product of an alien culture that is to be ostracized or irradicated. Racism is the product of fear and ignorance and the potential is there in all humans who lack universal understanding and knowledge (which is just about 100% of the species I would reckon). Arrogance produces its own form of ignorance and misunderstanding and surely the former action is in and of itself such, for if not, I know not what is.

In which the author proves the point of his opposition.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1682 on: January 31, 2014, 12:36:05 AM »

I agree with all of these.  And Macklemore is nothing special.  I don't know if Macklemore's success is because of white racism though.  I think his "socially conscious" lyrics, sales and cuteness all factor in.

I think Macklemore has pretty uninteresting lyrics, but homophobia is still a major issue, particularly in the hip-hop and black community.  Plus, his music is just safer and more wholly positive.  There's a reason why he's perceived as more of a politically aware artist.

I like Kanye's music, but he does throw around the N-word and he's a fairly misogynist and materialistic in his lyrics.  I don't see how he has much of a social conscience outside of protesting for Kanye West's rights.

White liberal racism example #2523647

How is anything I said racist?

Nothing was racist, but you are taking the fact that Kanye is using the N-Word and saying that sets a bad example. All socially conscious rappers use that term. It is sometimes offensive and sometimes not, all depends on who is saying, why they are saying it, and if it ends in -a or -er. They are after all different terms.

Secondly, Kanye is actually anti-consumerist, and has spoken out against being overly materialistic. As for misogynism? Lol, just Lol. Too $hort is misogynist, Kanye not at all.

I was talking about the public perception of each person's music.  Using the N-word makes you sound like an idiot to most people, even if you're black.  It's just something that most people find at least impolite and threatening.  Plus, Kanye is a strange person and he often seems mentally ill, so he gets some flack in the media and criticism world for that.

In terms of the actual content of Kanye's lyrics, I think there's certainly a lot of interesting social commentary in there.  But, there are plenty of really problematic messages in there too.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1683 on: January 31, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »

Nothing was racist, but you are taking the fact that Kanye is using the N-Word and saying that sets a bad example. All socially conscious rappers use that term.
Lol, is that like a No True Scotsman thing?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I'm sure a black 50 years ago would be relieved if the dialect of the whites in his area made use of the former.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1684 on: January 31, 2014, 01:28:40 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2014, 01:37:35 AM by Horus »

Nothing was racist, but you are taking the fact that Kanye is using the N-Word and saying that sets a bad example. All socially conscious rappers use that term.

I'm sure a black 50 years ago would be relieved if the dialect of the whites in his area made use of the former.

How much time have you spent in the black community?

And where is anyone condoning whites using that word in either form? Kanye isn't white the last time I checked.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1685 on: January 31, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »

And where is anyone condoning whites using that word in either form? Kanye isn't white the last time I checked.

I don't think black people should use the n-word.  It's certainly not as bad when a black person says the n-word compared to a white person.  But, that doesn't mean it's an appropriate way to speak and it doesn't mean it's not damaging to the black community.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1686 on: January 31, 2014, 01:53:10 AM »

Which black community?

My point is it is the same term, no matter the pronunciation, with the same racist past.

Kayne is promoting that word to his white listeners, associating blacks with a term with deeply dehumanizing connotations.  That matters a lot more than the color of his own skin. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1687 on: January 31, 2014, 01:55:15 AM »

Which black community?

My point is it is the same term, no matter the pronunciation, with the same racist past.

Kayne is promoting that word to his white listeners, associating blacks with a term with deeply dehumanizing connotations.  That matters a lot more than the color of his own skin. 

So basically you don't like rap post Public Enemy?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1688 on: January 31, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »

The black community has turned a disgusting word with a horrid past that was used to demean them into a word of strange pride and unity amongst a certain segment of the population. I see no problem with this.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1689 on: January 31, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »

Alternate history indeed. Smiley  Nixon never used "race-baiting" in real life; he campaigned as a centrist opposed to the racism of George Wallace and the cultural liberalism of Hubert Humphrey.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1690 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:32 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2014, 10:42:40 AM by shua »

Which black community?

So basically you don't like rap post Public Enemy?

I probably could have made my point in a less jerk way. I just ing hate that word and I think with good reason.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1691 on: January 31, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »

The black community has turned a disgusting word with a horrid past that was used to demean them into a word of strange pride and unity amongst a certain segment of the population. I see no problem with this.

You must admit it's queer for them to claim a hurtful word for their own use.  Still whatever makes people feel gay.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1692 on: January 31, 2014, 11:52:15 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2014, 12:04:08 PM by Хahar »

I was talking about the public perception of each person's music.  Using the N-word makes you sound like an idiot to most people, even if you're black.  It's just something that most people find at least impolite and threatening.  Plus, Kanye is a strange person and he often seems mentally ill, so he gets some flack in the media and criticism world for that.

There's a good deal of racially coded language here.

I probably could have made my point in a less jerk way. I just ing hate that word and I think with good reason.

You're not black. You don't get to pass judgment on it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1693 on: January 31, 2014, 12:05:22 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2014, 12:22:19 PM by shua »

I was talking about the public perception of each person's music.  Using the N-word makes you sound like an idiot to most people, even if you're black.  It's just something that most people find at least impolite and threatening.  Plus, Kanye is a strange person and he often seems mentally ill, so he gets some flack in the media and criticism world for that.

There's a good deal of racially coded language here.

The N-word is fine, just don't use racially coded language?

You're not black. You don't get to pass judgment on it.
[/quote]

You're not white, you don't get to pass judgement on me passing judgement on it.....

Maybe I just need you to give me some guidance to help me not give a sh**t about anything that affects black people.  I'd probably have to move for starters.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1694 on: January 31, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »

Name another group of people in America that constantly refers to other people of that group in racial terms, forget the racial epithet part.  We don't have Chinese people saying, "Hello my Chinese-American friend," to each other all the time.  It's just weird to constantly reference race and turn the normal descriptive word for a person into a very loaded, racial descriptor.  I think that promotes a worldview that puts black folks as separate from the rest of society and distinctly inferior and degraded.  

And, yeah, I realize I'm automatically racist for having opinions about a group of people I don't belong to.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1695 on: January 31, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »

I for one am glad that black people have bedstuy to tell them what's appropriate.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1696 on: January 31, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »

I for one am glad that black people have bedstuy to tell them what's appropriate.

Skin color isn't a prerequisite for expressing an idea.  What a racist concept. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1697 on: January 31, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »

Against whom is it, in this particular instance, racist?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1698 on: January 31, 2014, 02:11:42 PM »

Against whom is it, in this particular instance, racist?

Black people, I suppose.  But, I was being facetious. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1699 on: January 31, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2014, 02:42:07 PM by traininthedistance »

Name another group of people in America that constantly refers to other people of that group in racial terms, forget the racial epithet part.  We don't have Chinese people saying, "Hello my Chinese-American friend," to each other all the time.  It's just weird to constantly reference race and turn the normal descriptive word for a person into a very loaded, racial descriptor.  I think that promotes a worldview that puts black folks as separate from the rest of society and distinctly inferior and degraded.  

And, yeah, I realize I'm automatically racist for having opinions about a group of people I don't belong to.

There's obviously no comparison in severity... but many folks where I grew up were proud to self-identify as "guidos", but don't you dare call them that yourself unless you're a friend.

Marginalized out-groups have reclaimed slurs against them since time immemorial, it's a natural coping mechanism and, no, I don't personally feel it's right to police that coming from a position of privilege.  "Another group of people" would be, I assume, most of them.

ETA: What's your opinion of gay men using the f-word to refer to each other?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies