The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:08:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 209399 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: October 04, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »

Great Show, a more kid friendly version of Family Guy.

and so on.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »

Lefties don't follow the rules, it lets them scratch their "rebel" itch without actually having to go face to face with a cop or a racist like the previous generation did.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »

All Bushie posts in this thread
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:42:19 PM »

The Atlas transexual community is very upset with this post
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »

I feel like we've been having this anniversary since I was old enough to know who JFK was. I was once reading the 1992 TIME Magazine cover of Bill Clinton as Person of the Year and one of the articles started off by comparing him to JFK. In elementary school I had a teacher who told us that "where were you when JFK was shot" used to be a big thing. In high school my English teacher told us about how she'd cried after the 1960 debates cause she thought JFK was going to lose. When my parents first came to America we rented a room from a kind elderly couple and I remember the lady saying JFK was her favorite president. One of Michael Moores movies begins by harkening back to the JFK inauguration. I think its a generational thing. When he died, I think, a whole generation lost its innocence. America lost its innocence. It had to be a conspiracy. Hasnt anyone seen the Oliver Stone movie?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 07:20:31 AM »

Not sure if troll post or¿?

Sweatshops get such a bad rap because of the conditions but if you asked any of those workers they'd be grateful for that job as they pay higher the most other jobs in third world countries. Similarly, sweatshops pave the way for economic growth eg. in the 60s Japan was full of them.

...this is a perfectly reasonable and commonly held economic truism, endorsed by economists as liberal as Paul Krugman. Neither bad, absurd nor ignorant.

It's sort of outside the point of the thread though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 07:29:34 AM »

Not sure if troll post or¿?

Sweatshops get such a bad rap because of the conditions but if you asked any of those workers they'd be grateful for that job as they pay higher the most other jobs in third world countries. Similarly, sweatshops pave the way for economic growth eg. in the 60s Japan was full of them.

...this is a perfectly reasonable and commonly held economic truism, endorsed by economists as liberal as Paul Krugman. Neither bad, absurd nor ignorant.

It's sort of outside the point of the thread though.

Having looked at the thread, yes it is, but just seeing that in isolation as an example of "Ignorant/Absurd/Bad" thinking annoyed me a little.

Oh I don't disagree with that just giving context. I thought the post was ridiculous for that reason as in "Way to miss the point, man".
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 07:37:50 AM »

What is "The Bell Curve?" Its a name I hear thrown around a lot but never have bothered to look up.
1990s scientific racism. Minorities and other poors are poor because they have low IQs.

?

Why is this here?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »

What is "The Bell Curve?" Its a name I hear thrown around a lot but never have bothered to look up.
1990s scientific racism. Minorities and other poors are poor because they have low IQs.
?

Why is this here?

Presumably because Gustaf feels that's an unfair characterization of the book.

But that is the argument of the book. Quite openly.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »

?

Why is this here?

Presumably because Gustaf feels that's an unfair characterization of the book.

But that is the argument of the book. Quite openly.

Haha, ok, there were too many steps to get to the original thread so I misread the situation. From the post by Sanchez I assumed that it was in reference to the concept of the bell curve and not the specific use of it for IQ and race. I think that application of it is a lot more known in some circles - 95% of the time I hear bell curve it's just what it is.

So, sorry...I retract the original posting. Tongue

When you type 'The Bell Curve' into wikipedia you get this
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »

Colorado is becoming a laughing stock. We were discussing it at work last night after discussing the Denver Broncos. A girl about my age said, "All Colorado is starting to be known for is weed and shootings." I can't imagine why it's become such a reliable Democratic state. :eyeroll:
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »

*a Jewish state that knows America will always be on its dick
so you decided to ditch the zionism now?

Pox on both houses, etc.

Also, anyone notice Obama advocating African recolonization?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 06:23:24 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=12049;sa=showPosts
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »

The left-wing approach got Greece into this mess in the first place. Besides, it's not like Greece actually tried the right-wing approach. Ireland and Portugal are doing far better today than Greece is. Now the former two actually just did what was required of them while Greece...eh, not so much. But hey, if Greeks think they're going to be better of with Syriza, fine with me.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »

1966 film called Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? which was also a stage play.

A burnt out Richard Burton and a been-there-done-it Liz Taylor get liquored up and rip on each other for two hours with a younger couple in tow. There are many reasons, though, and the tension very much rubs off on the younger couple as everyone gets drunker and the night wears on, which is what is so great. I love it. Watching it is like enjoying a rich dessert. Smiley Too bad it is in black and white!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »

I probably won't watch Philomena, although it is an important film that needed to be made. I don't think I would really enjoy it, and to me movies are for enjoyment.

As a student of History I am also well acquainted with the awfulness of the Catholic / Latin Church to where I really am surprised that it has adherents at this point in time. In all probability, the Latin Church does a good job of not talking about their horror show of a history. Philomena tells the story of a very modern depravity of the Church's view of motherhood. So awfully sad and revolting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies