The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:40:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 209470 times)
Lurker
Norway
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:57:57 AM »
« edited: November 28, 2013, 03:02:06 AM by Lurker »

This isn't exactly a "normal" place, with "average" people, though. Most here could propably name half US congressman, and and all US presidential candidates since 1789, while your Average Joe could not name a senator from one of his neighbouring states (or equivalent cases in European countries). 99% of people around the world wouldn't recognize someone like Ed Miliband  either, but I would guess a majority here could.

So it's not exactly unreasonable to expect people to recognize a major historical figure and world leader like Willy Brandt, particularly in a place like this. I wouldn't expect many here to recognize any of the others, perhaps with the exceptions of Wilson (being British) and Palme (because of assasination, mostly).

Personally I recognized the Norwegians and Scandinavians - Bratteli, Palme, Erlander (hard to tell in that picture though) and Brandt . Harold Wilson too, after a moment of thinking.

The other three I had no clue about.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:23:37 PM »

This isn't exactly a "normal" place, with "average" people, though. Most here could propably name half US congressman, and and all US presidential candidates since 1789, while your Average Joe could not name a senator from one of his neighbouring states (or equivalent cases in European countries). 99% of people around the world wouldn't recognize someone like Ed Miliband  either, but I would guess a majority here could.

How interesting that a forum at uselectionatlas.org would have such people. I wonder why that is.
Most people here when presented with a picture of Ed Milliband would probably mistake him for Kal Penn, in all honestly.

Yes, I clearly registered at this place without realizing that US elections were the primary topic of discussion here. Still, you'd think that there would be a pretty big correlation between those interested in the minutiae of obscure American elections and those with an unusual amount of knowledge of Non-American politicians. The percentage of people that could name Miliband here would easily be ten times higher than in the "real world", even if you do mistake him for some actor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies