Russell Feingold... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:59:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Russell Feingold... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Russell Feingold...  (Read 14296 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: February 23, 2005, 06:17:36 AM »

And radical social views are exactly what the Democrats need to distance themselves from.

No, it is not a good idea to abandon our base.

Feingold would be a nice candidate, and I doubt his jewishness hurts that much, since most anti-Semites would already be staunch Republican voters.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 01:50:07 PM »

And radical social views are exactly what the Democrats need to distance themselves from.

No, it is not a good idea to abandon our base.

No, the Democrat base is the lower-middle-class, the working poor, and the inner city.  Economic issues should form the core of the Democrat strategy.

See those megachurches filled with factory workers just barely keeping their heads above water because of braindead GOP economics?  THAT'S where the Democrats should be going for votes.

Feingold would be a nice candidate, and I doubt his jewishness hurts that much, since most anti-Semites would already be staunch Republican voters.

Is that why the Republicans are unwavering supporters of Israel?

No, I never saw any mega-churches like that.  All the ones I've heard of are full of the exurban Republican upper-middle class, not factory workers.

As for Isreal - giving someone military aid and inviting him to join your country club are very different things.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 03:29:06 PM »

His being Jewish doesn't hurt him, provided that he is an observant Jew.  If he is Jew in name only, then he loses the faith and values issue from the start.

His being a liberal (call him progressive if you want, but he's still a liberal) will hurt him in every Red state and will cost him the close Blue states.

As for the GOP being the home of anti-semitism, I suggest that you look at the Arab-American and African-American communities first.  Those two groups exibit the most virulent anti-semitism in the country today, and if my memory serves correctly, they both voted overwhelmingly Democrat in 2004.

Kerry was a liberal.  Feingold would definitely win every state Kerry won, and possibly add a few:

Feingold/Bayh         - 289
Santorum/Coleman - 249
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 05:17:20 PM »

Feingold is a ~45% type candidate maximum, possibly dipping into the low 40s (i.e. landslide)

Nah, Kerry's 48% is very, very solid Democrat.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 06:15:31 PM »

Maybe Feingold works out, but I'll gladly take my odds with about 30 Republicans over him. He's not really that Presidential, so his reform cred isn't really enough in my opinion.

Kerry's 48%-- admittedly ~1% more than I thought he could pull, though I thought Nader would do a little  better-- was not solid Democrat at all. A lot of it was anti-Bush sentiment that is no longer relevant once Bush is out of the picture.

I mean, Feingold is a guy that could make a run at losing 50 states. Or he could win. To me that's not a smart risk, because if he loses he could drag down the party. At least Kerry held the line somewhat.

I don't think some people realize what a real Republican candidate could do to a crappy Democrat. Yes, 1984 or 1972 could happen again, don't doubt that for an instant. You can make a case that we're in another Gilded Age, ala the late 19th century, but I don't buy it.
True. Though I think another 1936 is slightly more likely -
basically all it takes is a moderate-but-no-Zell Miller Democrat who also happens to be pro life vs a moderate-but-no-Lincoln Chafee Republican who also happens to be pro choice.
I'd predict a Dem PV landslide on a low vote total in that scenario, not sure how the EV would map out.
Not that either scenario is that very likely ... but both are distinctly possible.

No, the primary process in both parties makes that nearly impossible.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 12:37:37 PM »

Wedge issues.  If a real life populist was to somehow slip through the cracks and win the Democratic nomination.  Im talking a real pro-life, anti-gay marriage, pro-gun rights etc.  democrat.  It would lights out for the GOP.   (assuming no strong 3rd party contenders jump in)

Maybe, but who would care?  We'd just have another stinking Religious Party ruling over us.  There's really no point in emulating the other side - they've got the intolerant vote sewn up.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »

Wedge issues.  If a real life populist was to somehow slip through the cracks and win the Democratic nomination.  Im talking a real pro-life, anti-gay marriage, pro-gun rights etc.  democrat.  It would lights out for the GOP.   (assuming no strong 3rd party contenders jump in)

Maybe, but who would care?  We'd just have another stinking Religious Party ruling over us.  There's really no point in emulating the other side - they've got the intolerant vote sewn up.

I agree.  I was just trying to make a point that wedge issues are killing the democraitc party.  Abortion to me is a non-issue.  Roe vs Wade will never be overturned, period.  Gay Marriage, who cares?   Gun rights, we are suppose to be the party of civil liberties, but our leadership does all it can to shoot down the second amendment.  You know what I mean?

I do know what you mean, though I believe Roe V. Wade may very well be overturned.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 07:43:47 AM »

As long as they DONT push their lifestyle on the child.

Garbage!  We put up with heterosexuals and religious pushing their lifestyles on their children. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 11:45:57 AM »

As long as they DONT push their lifestyle on the child.

Garbage!  We put up with heterosexuals....

You can't argue with nature.

Nonsense, of course you can.  Besides, homosexuality is just as 'natural' as heterosexuality.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies