The Oakvale Situation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:17:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Oakvale Situation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Oakvale Situation  (Read 783 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:10:26 PM »
« edited: May 25, 2013, 07:12:17 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

So—

I should probably make a statement about Oakvale’s candidacy, since it pretty fundamentally alters the direction of the Federalist Party in this election cycle.

Unfortunately, people who are up in arms might not be too happy with what I have to say. Basically, every party member has the right to run, and there’s nothing I can do about it. If Oakvale’s candidacy complies with the party’s by-laws, I will be impartial from this point on and I will be sure to administer a fair primary. I will give my full support to whoever wins. I’ll also say that I am not oblivious to the challenges that this party faces in presidential elections. I can’t force people to run or not run, and I’ll work with what we’ve got in the current political climate. Matt and Maxwell have thus far run a strong campaign, and I thank them for stepping up. Hopefully Oakvale will be able to bring something to the table as well.

I’ll point out, though, that the operative phrase in the above paragraph was this one: “If Oakvale’s candidacy complies with the party’s by-laws…” I hate to do this because I don’t want to pick sides, but Oakvale’s candidacy does not actually comply with the party rules. Section III, subsection 6 states the following:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If my understanding is correct, the next presidential election starts on June 21st, 2013, which is just under four weeks away. The purpose of this by-law was to ensure that our nominee would have ample time to compete in the general election. Regardless of what you think about the rules, Oakvale cannot run as a Federalist under the current language.

The kink in this whole situation, though… is that I was actually going to propose changing that by-law before there was any indication that Matt would receive a challenger. I was going to amend the rules so that Federalists would have to declare for the presidency three weeks before the general election. Four weeks seemed awfully excessive.

So we have a bit of a dilemma on our hands, as my proposed amendments will now have extremely important consequences. Here’s what I’m going to do. Later tonight, I will publish my proposals in the thread for our Arkansas convention. I will give two days to discuss the changes, and then I will put each change to a vote. I hope people will judge the changes not on the basis of “Oakvale versus Matt,” but on the basis of what is fair and what would actually be a good idea to enshrine in our party rules (it couldn't be clearer than it is now that the rules actually matter). I’m sorry to put your Federalist candidacy in the balance like this, Oakvale, but there’s not much else I can do.  

Hopefully what I’ve proposed is the fairest way to deal with the unfolding situation. This chairman gig is one hell of a job. Wink

Cheers folks,

Hagrid
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 07:16:13 PM »

As at arms I am about Oakvale's tactics in this race so far, I will vote in favor of the amendment on it's merits. Four weeks seems like an excessive amount of time, leaving almost no time, so cutting it down to three weeks is a good idea.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »

My candidacy is purely to provide dissatisfied Federalists with an alternative option, so if the rules are changed I will continue my campaign but if they remain the same I will respect the process and, of course, withdraw.

As at arms I am about Oakvale's tactics in this race so far

I've literally made one post! Sad
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »

Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »

Let's make this more complicated: if oakvale were to lose the Federalist primary but continue his campaign into the general election, would he appear on the ballot as a Federalist without the Federalist endorsement? Because he would still be legally registered as a Federalist for census purposes, right? Typically candidates are listed under their registered party on the ballot. Would the Federalist party have to forcibly kick oakvale out of the party? I don't think there's precedent for that. Or maybe you guys would prefer to let oakvale stay on the ballot as a Federalist?

So many questions...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »

Parties have the right to contact the SoFE and bar candidates from running under their banner. If the by-laws don't change, I will contact homely and indicate that Oakvale does not have the blessing of the party. Same story if the by-laws do change but he loses the primary. My understanding is that Oakvale would still be able to run, but no party affiliation would be listed on the ballot.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »

Just to be clear, I will not continue my campaign if I lose the Federalist Party primary.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 08:50:30 PM »

Maybe it's time I jumped in too! Let chaos reign supreme!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:52:52 AM »

A primary is generally positive for the party because it generates more excitement and enthusiasm. That being said, I want to ask the candidates who are involved in the primary not to attack each other in an overly harsh way. This only hurts our party and helps our opponents, and I am sure this is not in the interest of anyone who is running in this primary.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »

And The Ticket rises again..
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »

And The Ticket rises again..

The heroes atlasia doesn't want, but the heroes atlasia needs
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies