I am worried…can i support Kerry?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:30:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I am worried…can i support Kerry?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I am worried…can i support Kerry?  (Read 5651 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2004, 12:01:27 PM »

For the last few years I have stuck with my Party… I have not been a liberal however; I am moderate to conservative on moral issues, fiscal issues and foreign policy… My views are probably somewhere between Breaux, Lieberman and Edwards… as a person I like Bush I think he is a decent human being I have disagreed with him on many things and I would never embrace the GOP as a whole HOWEVER…

Over the last few days I have come to realise that maybe the section of my party which is at present most powerful (i.e the Pelosi Liberal wing) does not reflect my views on foreign policy or moral issues… however I do not agree with Bus’s handling  of the economy…what the hell do I do?... I am not sure that my party will emerge from its convention with a platform that I can support whole heartedly, Kerry seems to have a good economic policy however with his health care plan it cannot work! Bush seems to want to alter the taxcuts somewhat and give more money to the middleclass in a second term (which makes sense), Bush is strong on defence, maybe a little cavalier but not Goldwater style…

In MO I will vote for Holden and I’ll vote for Farmer however the moderate wing of my party is being ignored… Granholm, Vilsack, Doyle and Rendell all are good moderate Dems… yet the leadership of the party does not at present reflect that Edwards has been the only Dem of late to say “I do not agree with Gay marriage” now this issue is not massively important to me, I support the rights of people to do what they like behind closed doors so long as it is consenting, but I do not believe in diluting the institution of marriage, no other leading Dem has taken a stand against the far left save Bayh on abortion or the likes of Lieberman and Breaux on other issues it is the “Blue Dogs” who have won lately (Chandler, Blanco and Landrieu), the liberals have not…

What do I do?... I don’t know if I can vote for Kerry based on the fact that the platform he will run on may well not be one I agree with, I believe in democratic principles as instituted by the moderate wing of my party in particular the DLC and the “blue dogs” but many liberal dems (not here) have utter contempt for my views… Am I going to end up voting for Bush who largely on social issues and national defence I agree with and believe him to be a good guy personally yet who’s management of the economy has been poor or do I vote for Kerry who on social issues and the economy I disagree with at least in part yet on the environment and the role of government I agree with … Kerry’s record seems to me to be liberal largely because he had the unenviable task of representing MA… I want to vote for my Party and I believe Kerry would be a good president… it is just that the Liberal wing of my party with whom I have profound disagreements looks likely to hijack the convention much as they did in 1864 and then in 1972 and push through a liberal platform that would alienate many moderate democrats such as myself…and a Kerry victory would only strengthen there grip over the throat of the Party…

There is a third option I could just not cast a vote for President and vote for the other offices … what do I do?

PS: Sorry if anyone sees this as taking up needless space with pointless soul searching…
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 12:08:49 PM »

Look at the polls before election day.  If Missouri is close, vote for Kerry.  If it isn't vote for whoever.

That's really the only answer I can give you...not many people are too wild about Kerry.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 12:10:17 PM »

Look at the polls before election day.  If Missouri is close, vote for Kerry.  If it isn't vote for whoever.

That's really the only answer I can give you...not many people are too wild about Kerry.

that’s something I'm tempted to do... but as I said will we have a platform i agree with?... if only we'd nominated Edwards... ah well...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 12:13:18 PM »

will we have a platform i agree with

No.

But does Bush?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 12:32:36 PM »

Probably not... so I in all likelihood be a lukewarm supporter of the Kerry candidacy... still probably do my bit for the party though if it comes to it... if we lose at least the hardline liberal wing of the party (not Kerry but the likes of Pelosi and the people who will write the platform, talented as Pelosi has been at times) will be dented the DLC will have its chance then... perhaps we can win for a change... But I'm not writing off Kerry as a potential winner just yet...    
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 03:43:48 PM »

Ben... vote for Kerry. He's not as liberal as certain people would like to paint him, and his economic policy will be an improvement over Bush's...

Question: If the number of moderate Dems increases in the House in November (as looks likely), what would your reaction be if a coup d'etat in the House Dems toppled Pelosi and replaced her with someone like Murtha or Taylor?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 03:52:07 PM »

Ben... vote for Kerry. He's not as liberal as certain people would like to paint him, and his economic policy will be an improvement over Bush's...

Question: If the number of moderate Dems increases in the House in November (as looks likely), what would your reaction be if a coup d'etat in the House Dems toppled Pelosi and replaced her with someone like Murtha or Taylor?

I like Ford... the reason for the post is mostly I’ve been in a black mood of late... my faith in Bush as a person has been slipping got the Economist here in the uk today and once again I’m not enthused about either but Kerry is probably the more decent of the two from what I'm now seeing... that would probably change with power... but God d*** it! its politics what do I expect!, I sometimes need to be a little more realistic, its not Kerry that worries me its the Liberals writing the platform... we will see... but your right about the "Blue Dogs" they are growing in numbers and power, it does look like they will become a even more powerful force after November, thus opening the way for Senator Ford!... hey I can dream... well in reality I think he is one of our best bets for the future IMHO...young, moderate, charismatic, southern, black, its all there....  there is hope and hey at least we didn’t nominate Dean!... even though Dean was not that radical in reality, he just gaffed and was bad on TV and was painted as radical, but your right Kerry is not the liberal that many think him to be (read last weeks economist), I just worry about what the platform will be like… but I’m beginning to feel a little more up beat than I was earlier…      
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 03:55:20 PM »

"Senator Ford" does sound good Smiley
First black Senate Majority Leader?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 04:01:43 PM »

"Senator Ford" does sound good Smiley
First black Senate Majority Leader?

Hell Yeah!!!

I think he can do it! I really do... that Guy is going all the way IMHO...  if Kerry loses in Nov and Ford replaces Frist in 2006 he could even have a shot at the nomination then, however his best years are probably 2012, 2016 and 2020 IMHO but as I said we will see... people wonder if the US is ready for a Black president I think the answer is a resounding YES!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 04:03:45 PM »

America needs more Fords and Bishops... and a lot less McKinney's...
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 04:12:34 PM »

America needs more Fords and Bishops... and a lot less McKinney's...

Dame Strait!

But it won’t happen for a long time.... i should say that i am a moderate to populist at the federal level while at the state level i tend to be more of a populist all round...

But Your right!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 04:14:22 PM »

It'll happen when racial gerrymandering is banned...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 04:58:15 PM »

Racial Gerrymandering lol what a joke.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 05:01:11 PM »

It'll happen when racial gerrymandering is banned...

We are the worst offenders in that regard... but both parties do it to one extent or another... dame it I’m so jaded….
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 06:46:14 PM »

...Kerry. He's not as liberal as certain people would like to paint him,

If the ... House Dems toppled Pelosi and replaced her with someone like Murtha or Taylor?

he is not, but bush is far more so than many of those same people paint him.

John (support our troups!) murtha?  I'd welcome the coup.  but they could do worse than nancy pelosi, imho.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 09:38:49 PM »

Ben... vote for Kerry. He's not as liberal as certain people would like to paint him,

Yes he is.  Dean is a conservative compared to Kerry.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 09:46:23 PM »

Kerry was voted more liberal then Ted "Blonde Killer" Kennedy. Thats really scary, lol.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2004, 11:18:26 PM »

Kerry was voted more liberal then Ted "Blonde Killer" Kennedy. Thats really scary, lol.

the kennedy's have a knack for staying in the center of the democrat party, no matter which party is doing better in their home state.  The Bush's may yet prove to be the republican version of the kennedy's.  yeah, Teddy gets away with murder.  What a lousy drunk.  But he got reelected to that office with over 3/4 of the vote last time.  democracy is grand, ain't it?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 11:30:58 PM »

Re-Elect Ted Kennedy, a blonde in every pond.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2004, 12:13:27 AM »

I would consider this:  What issue is more important to you?  Then vote for the party that supports your side on that issue.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2004, 08:26:03 AM »

Ben,

I am not goig to tell you who to vote for.  Just let me ask you a few questions to help you decide for yourself.

Would you be proud to have John Kerry as President?

Are you proud right now that George Bush is President?

If something terrrible happened a few months into 2005, who would you rather have in charge?

Does John Kerry really care about people like you?  Does George Bush really care?

Which candidate do you believe is more likely to do something great, I mean really great for the country/world?

Which candidate is more likely do to something truly awful that hurts the country/world?

I hope this is helpful.

Now, let's not be partisan. Wink

I concur with KEmperor.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2004, 02:54:16 PM »

Ben,

I am not goig to tell you who to vote for.  Just let me ask you a few questions to help you decide for yourself.

If something terrrible happened a few months into 2005, who would you rather have in charge?

Does John Kerry really care about people like you?  Does George Bush really care?

Which candidate do you believe is more likely to do something great, I mean really great for the country/world?

Which candidate is more likely do to something truly awful that hurts the country/world?

I hope this is helpful.

I concur with KEmperor.

Well probably the economy... and on that basis I lean towards Kerry, looking at things as they presently are I'm less concerned about the uber-liberals in congress ( I was probably spending too long on Democratic underground! Smiley ) ...  now it appears to me as though the "blue dogs" and "DLC" are going to be stronger in the next congress than they presently are... looking at things as they now are I'm far less worried about the liberals (and I mean people to the left of Kerry here, impractical and ill-informed people not bad or immoral people) ... Kerry's spending pledges still worry me... he needs to say that these spending proposals would have to come in a second Kerry term but apart from these earlier spending pledges (which the conservative democrats in congress would help keep in check) ... on the basis now of how much stronger the DLC and the "Blue Dogs" now appear to be and the fact that the prospect of the "Jerry Brown/ Nancy Pelosi/ Denis Kucinich" wing taking control of the drafting of the party platform or dominating the congressional leadership of the party now seems very remote, so it looks like I'm back in the Kerry camp, I mean what ever my reservations about Kerry's "liberalism" I'm not sure (How ever much i personally warm to Bush) that this country should have another four more year of him... I still think Kerry is not the best candidate however i reckon that I'll be backing him in November now... ahh… back in the fold… even if I am out on the right of the party on foreign policy (being a “Scoop Jackson” Democrat) and to a lesser extent on social issues…      

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2004, 02:55:48 PM »

Ben,

I hope this is helpful.

I concur with KEmperor.

Well probably the economy... and on that basis I lean towards Kerry, looking at things as they presently are I'm less concerned about the uber-liberals in congress ( I was probably spending too long on Democratic underground! Smiley ) ...  now it appears to me as though the "blue dogs" and "DLC" are going to be stronger in the next congress than they presently are... looking at things as they now are I'm far less worried about the liberals (and I mean people to the left of Kerry here, impractical and ill-informed people not bad or immoral people) ... Kerry's spending pledges still worry me... he needs to say that these spending proposals would have to come in a second Kerry term but apart from these earlier spending pledges (which the conservative democrats in congress would help keep in check) ... on the basis now of how much stronger the DLC and the "Blue Dogs" now appear to be and the fact that the prospect of the "Jerry Brown/ Nancy Pelosi/ Denis Kucinich" wing taking control of the drafting of the party platform or dominating the congressional leadership of the party now seems very remote, so it looks like I'm back in the Kerry camp, I mean what ever my reservations about Kerry's "liberalism" I'm not sure (How ever much i personally warm to Bush) that this country should have another four more year of him... I still think Kerry is not the best candidate however i reckon that I'll be backing him in November now... ahh… back in the fold… even if I am out on the right of the party on foreign policy (being a “Scoop Jackson” Democrat) and to a lesser extent on social issues…      

I am that as well, and I'm probably to the right of hte party on economy as well. Doesn't bother me, shouldn't bother you. Smiley
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2004, 03:00:07 PM »

Ben,

I hope this is helpful.

I concur with KEmperor.

I am that as well, and I'm probably to the right of hte party on economy as well. Doesn't bother me, shouldn't bother you. Smiley

I have to admit i was in a "black mood" when i started this thread but i expect you and i gustaf agree a great deal on politics... I think of myself as a moderate dem on foreign policy and social issues, however unlike you seem to be I'm more of a populist on economic issues (but i like to think I'm a responsible populist Smiley ) ... you seem rather like Lieberman on the issue while I'm proably somwhere between Lieberman and Edwards...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2004, 03:01:29 PM »

Ben,

I hope this is helpful.

I concur with KEmperor.

I have to admit i was in a "black mood" when i started this thread but i expect you and i gustaf agree a great deal on politics... I think of myself as a moderate dem on foreign policy and social issues, however unlike you seem to be I'm more of a populist on economic issues (but i like to think I'm a responsible populist Smiley ) ... you seem rather like Lieberman on the issue while I'm proably somwhere between Lieberman and Edwards...

I am sure we do agree on a lot. Smiley

And, yes, I probably was fairly close to Lieberman. I sometimes actually think of myself as jhaving some populist traits, but I am essentially a moderate right-winger.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies