Attention Whoring: Employment options.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:25:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Attention Whoring: Employment options.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: I feel I have a strong chance with both opportunities. Which should I pick?
Funeral Home

7-11

Both you freaking idiot!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Attention Whoring: Employment options.  (Read 539 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »

I have been searching for employment for six weeks. I have tried many, many places. I have two options that seem very promising as of today. First is a funeral home, which is a small business that has been operation for many years in the area. My mother’s friend’s father worked as a greeter there after he retired, so I have connections. I also got an application at 7-11 today. This 7-11 is different than the other 7-11s in my area. Most 7-11s in my area are run by the same Indian man who apparently only hires his sons and nephews-I know this because I applied at two other 7-11 stores closer to me, and have encountered him at both stores. He was very pleasant, but he made it very clear (though he was smart to not say it directly) that it was a family enterprise.

Funeral Home:

Pros: Would stand out on a college application or future resume. It has a nice staff that seemed genuinely interested in my job application. It is a family business as well. It also is within relatively easy walking distance (a two mile, 45 minute walk).

Cons: No set or fixed hours, and I may only be working a few evenings a week. Requires me to buy a suit, which will be expensive. It also may require a very socially awkward 17 year old to be social with grieving families.

7-11:
Pros: Long, fixed hours. Nice staff who seemed interested in my application, with a friendly manager. The job pays minimum wage, which I am fine with. The cashier is also an attractive, young blonde college student. That last part is important.

Cons: While in a very safe part of town, it has been robbed before, and I have a bad history with being robbed Tongue. I don’t fear being robbed there if I get a morning or afternoon shift, but if I take the late shift the prospect of getting robbed and then shot through the face for no reason is 0.00001 to 1,000,000,000, and I still don’t like those odds. If I get the afternoon shift I will be unable to go to the food kitchen, which I enjoy.

Both (if I am so lucky)Sad
Pros: I have two jobs while many people are struggling to get one these days. That alone is a blessing unlike any other. Would keep me busy almost all day, which is nice as I have nothing productive or important to do right now.

Cons: The funeral home hours would be flexible, and I would be forced to miss some jobs there. Transportation between the two might be an issue every once and a while, though I am fairly confident that I should be able to secure a ride 99% of the time if the jobs are not spaced apart by more than a few hours.

Can I even handle two jobs at once if I am so lucky to get both? It sure is easy to type my situation out here, but should I even want two jobs? I am sure some posters here balance a few jobs, and I am sure it can be stressful. Any thoughts on what I should do? Should I take one for a particular reason or go the seemingly obvious option of taking both?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »

I say funeral home.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »

7-11. Do you really want to be in a funeral home environment all summer?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:17 PM »

Working in a funeral home sounds like an interesting experience.

Think of it this way: if you were to write a book about what you did all summer long, what would make it more exciting?  You working at a 7-11, or you working at a funeral home? Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:54:32 PM »

7-11. Do you really want to be in a funeral home environment all summer?
Yes. I am a very somber, mundane person.

Think of it this way: if you were to write a book about what you did all summer long, what would make it more exciting?  You working at a 7-11, or you working at a funeral home? Tongue
I agree 100%, but the Funeral Home job is not as stable as the 7-11 job.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »

I say 7-11. The hot cashier was the deciding factor Wink
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 11:40:34 PM »

7/11, but try for both.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:10:27 AM »

Do you know what you're duties would be at the Funeral home?  That'd be important to find out so you know if it's something you're up to, since you're a little worried about that. 

my inclination would be to go with the one job just until you get settled, and you'll have a better idea whether it makes sense to add something else.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 01:00:25 AM »

Good advice and the resume argument should count too.

I would probably go for both in your situation, though.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 04:28:02 AM »

Funeral Home: it will give you stories and experiences that will stand you in good stead for your whole life.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 05:28:25 AM »

Funeral home sounds like the more emo experience

I pick that one
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »

I would definitely go with the funeral home.  There's nothing wrong with working at 7-11, but you have a greater future potential with the funeral home experience. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »

Funeral home.  In fact I think you should try to pursue that one as a life-long career.  I always thought it would be a relatively pleasant job.  Quiet, peaceful.  The customers are so polite and not much trouble - being either dead or bereaved.  You are actually supposed to move slowly - a huge plus for the sloth-like such as yours truly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »

This is a summer job?  If so, the Funeral Home will be a better and more challenging experience for you- and look better on your resume, particularly if you can get a good reference.

Of course my personal plan is to off myself when it is time, have a friend put me in that wood chucker that was in that movie Fargo, incinerate me, and then dump my ashes in my desert pool. My goal is to keep my final exit expenses as close to zero as possible. (I kept my Dad's expenses down to about 1k, by having him incinerated in a cheap pine box, had a service in a rented chapel for an hour at Forest Lawn, with a secularized rent a preacher, who was instructed to leave Jesus, God, and the after life out of his remarks, and then we dumped his ashes at sea illegally from my Dad's sail boat. I plan to do even better than that with the processing of my corpse.)  So if the planet were filled with Torie types, there would be no Funeral Homes. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies