Meatloaf (the food)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:31:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Meatloaf (the food)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Meatloaf (the food)  (Read 2688 times)
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:20:46 AM »

Hey y'all, I'm going to make meatloaf for the first time soon, does anyone have any good recipes and/or advice?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »

Ground beef, 1 egg, worchestershire (however it's spelled) sauce, italian bread crumbs, garlic powder, pepper, dried minced onions or real onions chopped super fine.  Make sure the meat is not too dry from too many bread crumbs.

Mix it, put 2 lines of ketchup on top.......toss it in the slow cooker.  Wonderful!
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

A former roommate of mine used to put a cup of grated Parmesan cheese in his meatloaf.  It was pretty good.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:47:35 PM »

Why don't you try crushed Corn Flakes and thousand island dressing some time?
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12:14 PM »

Ground beef, 1 egg, worchestershire (however it's spelled) sauce, italian bread crumbs, garlic powder, pepper, dried minced onions or real onions chopped super fine.  Make sure the meat is not too dry from too many bread crumbs.

Mix it, put 2 lines of ketchup on top.......toss it in the slow cooker.  Wonderful!

A former roommate of mine used to put a cup of grated Parmesan cheese in his meatloaf.  It was pretty good.

Why don't you try crushed Corn Flakes and thousand island dressing some time?

Thanks for all your suggestions, they all sound delicious!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 11:26:57 PM »

My meatloaf recipe is similar to Gramps except replace the italian bread crumbs with panko and add GOLDEN RAISINS.  Trust me.  They add perfect flavor.

Then use a lean beef and wrap the loaf in bacon. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:29:08 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2013, 11:34:52 PM by Snowguy716 »

I'd strongly recommend a mixture of lean ground beef and pork sausage.  Parmesan or shredded cheddar mixed in with the rest of the stuff is good too.

But generally for any kind of meatball or loaf, you want eggs, breadcrumbs, and a splash of milk... plus onions, garlic, pepper, salt, and dried herbs like oregano or thyme can give a nice twist.

If you can incorporate bacon.. do so.  Spread ketchup over the top and then layer bacon on top of that so it gets crispy (and keeps the ketchup from drying out too much).

It's best to insert a thermometer into the loaf.  Ground beef alone should be cooked to at least 62*C and pork to 65*C (ugh.. I hate celsius.... ~145*F for beef and 150*F for pork).  People who tell you to go higher are full of sh**t.  Seriously.  Never take cooking advice from someone who insists on ruining all the meat they eat.

Like pork tenderloin only needs to be cooked to 140*F.  That means there will be a little pink in the middle (OH NOES!).  And you'll be able to cut it with a dull fork.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 11:54:54 PM »

I strongly prefer bbq sauce to ketchup. Either way, it's mostly high fructose corn syrup though Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 01:00:07 AM »

Meatloaf is so gross...

Just make meatballs with the same ingredients and put them on pasta or in a sandwich.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:16 AM »

We never had it.

We often had (minced) meat balls though, with mashed potatoes. And I still like to eat it.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 01:26:08 AM »

Meatloaf is the best my grandma use to make a great meatloaf but I don't know the recipe. She smothered that meatloaf in Ketchup mixed with brown sugar. Meatloaf is my families Christmas eve meal.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 01:47:58 AM »

a waste of perfectly good ground beef
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 04:31:26 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2013, 05:42:52 AM by Reagan and Thatcher's Long Lost Son »

My meatloaf recipe is similar to Gramps except replace the italian bread crumbs with panko and add GOLDEN RAISINS.  Trust me.  They add perfect flavor.

Then use a lean beef and wrap the loaf in bacon.  

I'd strongly recommend a mixture of lean ground beef and pork sausage.  Parmesan or shredded cheddar mixed in with the rest of the stuff is good too.

But generally for any kind of meatball or loaf, you want eggs, breadcrumbs, and a splash of milk... plus onions, garlic, pepper, salt, and dried herbs like oregano or thyme can give a nice twist.

If you can incorporate bacon.. do so.  Spread ketchup over the top and then layer bacon on top of that so it gets crispy (and keeps the ketchup from drying out too much).

It's best to insert a thermometer into the loaf.  Ground beef alone should be cooked to at least 62*C and pork to 65*C (ugh.. I hate celsius.... ~145*F for beef and 150*F for pork).  People who tell you to go higher are full of sh**t.  Seriously.  Never take cooking advice from someone who insists on ruining all the meat they eat.

Like pork tenderloin only needs to be cooked to 140*F.  That means there will be a little pink in the middle (OH NOES!).  And you'll be able to cut it with a dull fork.

Bacon-wrapped meatloaf? YES!!!!!

I strongly prefer bbq sauce to ketchup. Either way, it's mostly high fructose corn syrup though Tongue

Meatloaf is the best my grandma use to make a great meatloaf but I don't know the recipe. She smothered that meatloaf in Ketchup mixed with brown sugar. Meatloaf is my families Christmas eve meal.

I prefer ketchup myself, might mix it with some yellow mustard, and Dave from MI, that sounds soooooo good!

Meatloaf is so gross...

Just make meatballs with the same ingredients and put them on pasta or in a sandwich.

a waste of perfectly good ground beef

Each to their own I guess, but I've developed a craving for it, my mum made it for me occasionally back in the day, but I haven't had it since I was 13 or 14.

We never had it.

We often had (minced) meat balls though, with mashed potatoes. And I still like to eat it.

That too does sound delicious, nice hearty food!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 11:41:21 PM »

We never had it.

Did you use pork or beef?  I often found regular ground beef hard to find in Salzburg.. it was always mixed with ground pork.  Do they purposely snub Jews and Muslims? Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »

Ketchup, barbecue sauce, mustard, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, butter, onion soup mix, an egg, two pieces of crumbled toast, ground beef.

Be careful with the onion soup though, because sometimes the soup mix will be really salty and completely ruin the meatloaf. It was awesome the first time I made it and crap the second time. I'm still trying to figure out what I did differently. Tongue
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 06:56:15 AM »

Thank you all once again for your suggestions, just finished it then, and it was EXCELLENT!!!!! Definitely making it again in the future!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies