RI-Gov: Chafee switching to Dems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:48:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  RI-Gov: Chafee switching to Dems
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RI-Gov: Chafee switching to Dems  (Read 1250 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »

Somehow I'm not surprised. Hopefully Raimondo thrashes him in the primary.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »

Interesting
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »

lol Chafee.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »

Hopefully the Dems don't nominate him in the primary, allowing this to be a one-on-one race instead of a three way where Chafee plays spoiler.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »

Oh wow. Total shocker there.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:11:16 PM »

Boring. Independents who can win are fun.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »

Kinda. I figured he would try to hold on as an Independent.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 02:19:46 PM »

Kinda. I figured he would try to hold on as an Independent.

In a three way race, he will simple lose because of his unpopularity. He hopes to win the dem nomination because he knows that it's really difficult for a republican to win in RI (since 2010), so it's his chance to be reelected!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »

He should have done this long ago, but I welcome him, since his views are basically the same as mine.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »

Let's see how the primaries go. It could be a crowded one.

I just wonder what his agenda is. He got gay marriage and pension reform... now what?

We need better infrastructure, and universal pre-school would be a great long-term investment, but we still have budget problems to settle first too.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »

He probably won't make it past the Democratic Primary.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:19 PM »

He probably won't make it past the Democratic Primary.
Well that's the big question... bigger than the general election, like most elections in RI.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 04:38:06 PM »

Before you start commenting, guys, remember that Rhode Island had 16 straight years of GOP governors before Chafee became governor.  I mourn this loss more than just about any Republican; if it weren't for the ideological purity hacks (including the Tea Partiers), then he might still be a Republican today.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »

Before you start commenting, guys, remember that Rhode Island had 16 straight years of GOP governors before Chafee became governor.  I mourn this loss more than just about any Republican; if it weren't for the ideological purity hacks (including the Tea Partiers), then he might still be a Republican today.

RI had republican Governors when republicans were able to win in New England. I think Mississippi and Arkansas have also had 16 straight years of Dem. Governors.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 08:40:19 PM »

Republicans should not feel bad about losing Lincoln Chafee...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2013, 10:16:13 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

RI had republican Governors when republicans were able to win in New England. I think Mississippi and Arkansas have also had 16 straight years of Dem. Governors.
Mississippi and Arkansas had about 100 straight years of Dem governors after Reconstruction.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 10:23:29 AM »

Republicans should not feel bad about losing Lincoln Chafee...

Quite agreed. The man's main role as a Senator was in voicing strong opposition towards nearly everything put forward by his party's president. Sure, we can all sit back, we can say we like party diversity, big tents, yaddah yaddah yaddah. However, when there is little to no discernible, and very little important, difference between someone of your party and who might be there instead, what's the point of electing said person of your party? Not a fan of the dawg, and certainly glad to have finally scraped him off, though it was kinda cool to have an independent be elected (definitely more entertaining than a Democrat).
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 10:55:45 AM »

Mississippi and Arkansas had about 100 straight years of Dem governors after Reconstruction.

I know. And that doesn't mean they have a chance today. The same happens in RI, republicans can win 3-way races with some luck. But they couldn't even defeat Ciciline.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »

If it comes down to Chafee vs Raimondo in the primaries, I'll vote for Chafee. I voted for him in 2010 because Caprio was your typical conservative RI DINO we often get on the state level. He also ran to the left of every major candidate. If it's a three-way race between Chafee, Raimondo and Taveras, I'll probably vote for Taveras.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies