SENATE BILL: Prison Reform Act of 2013 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:37:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Prison Reform Act of 2013 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Prison Reform Act of 2013 (Law'd)  (Read 9559 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2013, 04:51:14 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: jdb apparently. Averroës Nix TNF
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51:56 PM »

This is the work of Clarence and Matt and is the fruition of the energy that was exhibited for this issue on the part of the former way back in the debates for that special election some months ago.

I have not gone over this with a fine tooth comb, though and would have to rely on one or both of them to answer to any details pertaining to those matters.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:06:23 PM »

I'll assume sponsorship of the Prison Reform Act of 2013 due to Senator MattFromVT's defeat.

Just notice this on scanning through the Introduction Thread.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »

This is an important piece of legislation and I would urge my colleagues to support it (more later, just meeting the PPT's 24 hour requirement).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »

Ah, when is that later going to be X? Also, does the SoIA have anything to contribute at this time.

I would like to see some answers to the questions posed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »

Any Senator may motion to accept sponsorship within the next 72 hours or the bill will be canned.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »

Senators have 48 hours to object to motion to accept sponsorship.

Just be mindfull Nix, that the Common Market is close to being on the floor and I don't remember if you have anything else before it in the queue, lest you hit the anti-clogging rule. There is a good possibilty that Duke might be bringing that up in the FP slot when it comes open.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »

Thanks for the warning, Yankee. With luck, Clarence's CURE Act will be off the Senate floor soon enough that I don't trigger the anti-clogging provision before a slot is ready for the Common Market Agreement. I'd defer to another Senator on this, but there doesn't seem to be any interest, and this bill is too important to me to let it fall through.

I'll be introducing an amendment shortly based on my earlier criticism and several additional points raised by Senate candidate TNF in this extremely detailed post.

Technically those bills like the Cure Act are supposed to be trashed when the Senator leaves if they haven't yet reached the floor, but that can wreck a bill that has been waiting in the queue for a while. If it is important and no one has said so previously, I take it and put it in the floor as one of mine. I hold back saying so though in case no one is interested in then I can just pull a BK and trash it for lack of a sponsor (an "illegally introduced bill"). Anyway, that is how I circumvent the OSPR on bills of Senators that depart from out midst.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Origination

Yes, this is a bit jumping the gun here since Nix isn't sponsor yet technically.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 06:41:38 AM »

The amendment is adopted and Nix is now sponsor.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 04:45:12 AM »

I'll be honest, I'm very afraid than we may have forgotten some crimes in the Section 5 and than this will lead to disaster.

Could be add an exceptionnal power allowing judges to go over 2 years if circumstrances are exceptionnal? Or it would be unmanageable?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »

I'm so sorry Senators! Okay let's see, basically I understand section 5 isn't perfect, I was going to work with other Senators, on what they thought would be necessary on that particular section. If I had won reelection, and had been active in the debate of this bill, I was planning on offering amendments after discussing with other Senators, on which other crimes should be added into section 5. First off I was planning on adding grand larceny as an amendment into section 5. I do like Senator MaxQue's idea allowing judges to go over two years, in very exceptional circumstances. I do think very exceptional circumstances deserves to be emphasized, because otherwise, it basically defeats the purpose of this bill.

I do like Senator Nix's proposed amendments. However, I just hope that all inmates who do exceptional at the high school level courses, get the opportunity to attend a university as the original text stated very clearly. I understand that your amendment touched on that, but I just hope that point doesn't get forgotten.

Listen, the original bill wasn't perfect I know this, but I hope we can come up with a solution that benefits all Atlasians who haven't really hurt anyone. I would love to be involved in the debate of this bill going forward if the Senate will allow me. And now, I'm here to answer all of your questions, I am more than willing to work with Senator Nix on this legislation, and despite us running against each other in the upcoming election, I do know that we both have a strong desire to help Atlasian youth bit go down the path of a violent life of crime.

Also I want to make sure that we do not forget about older Atlasians who have committed non violent crimes. It's easy to forget because our biggest problems with our prison system, is that young people end up in prison at a very young age, and never recover, but I hope that we remember to apply the same standard, the same level of compassion, to prisoners who are middle aged or elderly.

Actually, I'm not sure about the clause in section 5 "Impersonating a medical professional" quite possibly warrants a long prison sentence. I understand its very serious if one who is not a doctor operates on someone, I just wonder if it should be mandatory over 2 years, or if we should just seperately evaluate each particular case. But as with all other parts of this important piece of legislation, I want to discuss it.

Regardless it's time to move forward with this bill, Senators any questions?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »

Actually, I'm not sure about the clause in section 5 "Impersonating a medical professional" quite possibly warrants a long prison sentence. I understand its very serious if one who is not a doctor operates on someone, I just wonder if it should be mandatory over 2 years, or if we should just seperately evaluate each particular case. But as with all other parts of this important piece of legislation, I want to discuss it.

From my reading, it's a list of crimes which are exempted from the maximum prison sentence. It allows judges to sentence them to terms longer than 2 years, it doesn't force them to go over 2 years. It's how I read things and I wouldn't vote for any bills proposing a minimum prison term, as it's going against the context and the principle of sentence individuality.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »

From my reading, it's a list of crimes which are exempted from the maximum prison sentence. It allows judges to sentence them to terms longer than 2 years, it doesn't force them to go over 2 years. It's how I read things and I wouldn't vote for any bills proposing a minimum prison term, as it's going against the context and the principle of sentence individuality.

I believe you are correct, Senator. No my intention was not to impose a minimum prison sentence on crimes that are in the exception list. My mistake.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 04:50:08 AM »

I'd prefer giving them the option of taking classes while serving time, and paying for them upon their release and finding employment.

It's not really fair to charge extraordinary rates to law abiding citizens for something we give criminals for free.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »

I hope these don't contradict each other. Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »

I object to the 21st amendment. That kind of artificial threshold will only make people making fake money or embezzlement amounts of 49,999$, or something similar.

I trust judges to give appropriate and smart sentences if the amount is small.

Also, we need some exemption for multirecidivists. I mean, if you're going to jail for a non-violent crime for the 10th time, this perhaps needs another approch.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »

Amendments 50:19 and 50:20 have been adopted.

I am having trouble "feeling" the vibes of the two comments here if that makes sense so if I am mistake I apologize. I think there might be room for negotiation and since I rushed the first two, I will give exactly one day before I bring 50:21 to vote, but just one. If 24 hours have exclipsed and amendment is not forthcomming, I want Duke or Ben to open a vote here on 55:21 if I have not.

We got more storms coming.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »

I am starting a vote in ten minutes here on the amendment in question in just ten minutes or so.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »

Status: Objection filed by Senator MaxQue, a vote is now open on the above amendment, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »

Aye
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »

Nay.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 02:03:14 AM »

Nay

"Obstruction of justice"... do you guys realize how often that gets tossed around??
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 07:37:15 AM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »

Could the Senator provide some examples of where obstruction of Justice has been missapplied?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies