The 10 biggest federal income tax breaks (and how much they cost) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:40:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  The 10 biggest federal income tax breaks (and how much they cost) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 10 biggest federal income tax breaks (and how much they cost)  (Read 3446 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: July 05, 2013, 04:18:33 AM »

Peoples' limited understanding of capital markets always saddens me a bit.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:12:25 AM »

Peoples' limited understanding of capital markets always saddens me a bit.

Please enlighten us.

I'm generally a bit resigned - I've been on this forum long enough to know that people generally aren't that interested in learning things that would force them to change or revise their opinions.

It's hard to tax capital because it is too easily moved. It's also a good thing to have capital markets. Research indicates that it is in fact a main driver behind growth. Acting as if we're just unfairly benefitting evil fat cats who do nothing but manipulate money is, well, wrong.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »

Oh, and I should add that I noted the sarcasm, I just chose not to engage with it. Wink

I know people on here often get upset when their ignorant rants aren't met with tremendous respect and treated as informed opinions. So apologies to those who feel offended and so on.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:40:16 AM »

I'm generally a bit resigned - I've been on this forum long enough to know that people generally aren't that interested in learning things that would force them to change or revise their opinions.

Oh, and I should add that I noted the sarcasm, I just chose not to engage with it. Wink

I know people on here often get upset when their ignorant rants aren't met with tremendous respect and treated as informed opinions. So apologies to those who feel offended and so on.

Wow, smug condescension and the canonical "neener neener I'm still right" non-apology.  Are you trying to get people to disagree with you?

(Protip: some of us actually do want facts and evidence, and are willing to change our opinion.  But poisoning the well isn't a great way to present your case, dude.)

I'm not trying to make anyone on here agree with me. I just feel someone should point out that certain things are wrong.

Someone who is both totally ignorant and yet very sure about his opinion is obviously not a person who is at all driven by facts. So I suspect it is a waste of time to reason with such a person. That's largely based on many years of experience.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not understanding economics. It's a field like all others. There are plenty of fields I haven't specialized in where I don't know much. But I generally don't barge into such fields to preach to people who know it about how things really are and how we're all fooled by conspiracies and so on. If I did I wouldn't expect people to take me seriously or treat me with respect.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies