This 1 Chart Should Shame The U.S. Into Solving Its Hunger Crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:13:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  This 1 Chart Should Shame The U.S. Into Solving Its Hunger Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This 1 Chart Should Shame The U.S. Into Solving Its Hunger Crisis  (Read 1493 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Huffington Post
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »

How do they measure this? Most of the poor in the US have an obesity problem, because cheap food is fatty and greasy food.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »

How do they measure this? Most of the poor in the US have an obesity problem, because cheap food is fatty and greasy food.

Being forced to eat unhealthy food due to poverty is nearly as bad as being starved - in either case the rich are culpable.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »

hunger drives wages down.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »

20% can't afford food? Who are these people?

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »

20% can't afford food? Who are these people?

Let them eat cake!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »

Very important tool for the owners.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »

Even with food stamps? 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »

A lot of it depends on knowledge/education. You can eat pretty well on minimum wage by buying rice, beans, potatoes, onions etc in bulk and supplementing with a bit of meat and eggs. I imagine a diet like that is probably cheaper than what a typical poor person eats. Sadly that sort of diet is more likely to be eaten by a SWPL than a poor person.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »

I bet Chinese and Indonesians tend to have a different definition of it being "hard to put food on the table" than most Americans do.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »

SNAP is not particularly generous, especially for the working poor.  A 2 adult, 2 kid family with the adults both working minimum wage jobs 40 hours a week each, would just barely qualify for SNAP and about the most they would get is $150 a month for the four of them. (If they got more it would be because they had larger expenses elsewhere in their budget that reduced their calculated net income for SNAP, which would mean they had less non-SNAP money to spend on food.) If those adults both got raises to $8/hr, that extra $60/month would be enough to kick them off SNAP as they would fail the gross income test.

The calculations for SNAP aim to have a certain level of money available for food based upon an expectation that you'll be able to spend roughly 30% of your income on food.  If circumstances mean you can't, then SNAP's calculations will be off.  In the example above, SNAP assumes that a family of four needs a minimum monthly food budget of $668 of which $150 comes from SNAP and $518 comes from the household income.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 05:28:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure there are millions of destitute people who are not eligible for food stamps, Torie.  As I remember it, single males could only get them for a few months per lifetime.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »

A lot of it depends on knowledge/education. You can eat pretty well on minimum wage by buying rice, beans, potatoes, onions etc in bulk and supplementing with a bit of meat and eggs. I imagine a diet like that is probably cheaper than what a typical poor person eats. Sadly that sort of diet is more likely to be eaten by a SWPL than a poor person.
I know many destitute people who struggle with buying food.  They eat a lot of potatoes, bread, rice, and beans... and also a lot of eggs (which are like the one food item that is still cheap for the nutrients you get) and lots of pork... pork chops especially.

One lady I know eats like that.. and also grows a huge garden and she cans everything.  She's always pawning pickles and zucchini and things off on us.

You have to be creative.. but even in the land of 90 day growing seasons (we might have frost tonight Sad) you can crank out large quantities of food.

This is why the gardening revolution in cities like Detroit are such a great thing.  It doesn't get any more local, nutritious, or cheaper than out of the garden.
Link
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »

Americans fundamentally don't know how many calories they are supposed to consume per a day.  It's not a set number.  It depends on your size and activity both physical and metabolic.  There is more than enough food available to feed all Americans.  It's simply a matter of getting the knowledge to the people and distributing the food to where it is needed.  Instead of paying farmers NOT to grow food the government should run a program where they distribute fruit and vegetable baskets to the needy.  They also need to teach people they don't have to constantly consume 2,000+ Kcal a day.  If you are eating low fat, low sugar, high nutrient food most people can meet all their metabolic needs with far fewer calories.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »

I think Shua is correct. I do not buy at all that there are more Americans than Chinese actually struggling to put food on the table.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »

Out of touch man is out of touch.
Ransom
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »

I think Shua is correct. I do not buy at all that there are more Americans than Chinese actually struggling to put food on the table.
Be that as it may, the wealthiest country in the world should not be content with 15% of its citizens needing food assistance.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »

Be that as it may, the wealthiest country in the world should not be content with 15% of its citizens needing food assistance.

America is not the wealthiest country in the world.
Ransom
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »

I was talking about Nominal GDP, if that wasn't obvious enough.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »

So? Nominal GDP is not helpful here. Luxembourg has a smaller GDP than Bangladesh but it certainly has less of a food problem.
Ransom
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »

So? Nominal GDP is not helpful here. Luxembourg has a smaller GDP than Bangladesh but it certainly has less of a food problem.

Want to sort by GDP (PPP) per capita? Fine. A handful of micro-nations and then the US.

The point that a country with 21% of the world's Gross Domestic Product but only 4% of the global population, the most powerful country by any measure, should not be content to have 15% of its population on food stamps still stands.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies