Rand Paul: "GOP can turn California red"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:05:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rand Paul: "GOP can turn California red"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Rand Paul: "GOP can turn California red"  (Read 24174 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2015, 08:20:01 AM »

sure a pro-choice, pro-SSM, pro-immigration, pro-environment Republican could do well in CA. I wish more of those existed

Which is why we have Governor Kashkari.

Oh wait.

He can win, he just needs to run in a year with a better national climate for the GOP.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »

sure a pro-choice, pro-SSM, pro-immigration, pro-environment Republican could do well in CA. I wish more of those existed

Oh wait.

He can win, he just needs to run in a year with a better national climate for the GOP.

2014 wasn't good enough for the party???
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2015, 10:33:10 AM »

California could be relatively close if the GOP became a sane center-right party instead of a bunch of nutjobs. Of course, that's not gonna happen (and Rand Paul is part of the problem).

The sane center-right types increasingly find themselves  irrelevant to the Republican Party. Just look at what it did to Bob Bennett in Utah and Richard Lugar in Indiana. Just note that elder statesman John Warner said of the Republican Party in Virginia.

The GOP is not going to get the message until it feels a left-populist backlash, especially in the South.       
The South is not even left-populist now economically.

The South is cyclical. It's now in a reactionary phase in which the planter ethos reigns. How long that lasts is something that nobody can know. In 1976 all but one former-Confederate state (Virginia, then marginally Southern) voted for Jimmy Carter. But the planter ethos invariably achieves nothing but the enrichment of elites and sets up a populist rejection. I just can't say when, and when that happens, Movement Conservatism is unsustainable in America.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2015, 02:05:23 PM »

Maybe the GOP can win California if they nominate someone who is pro-gay, pro-environment, pro-choice, pro-minimum wage increase, pro-weed, pro-social spending.

Everything the Democrats support.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »

Oh wait.

Kashkari also aired an ad drowning a kid and is the face of TARP. Dude is DOA no matter when he runs.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »

Oh my god. Can we just please stop talking about Kashkari forever? Alright, here's a compromise. We forever drop the meme that Kashkari can ~somehow~ win statewide in California.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2015, 02:49:24 AM »

Oh my god. Can we just please stop talking about Kashkari forever? Alright, here's a compromise. We forever drop the meme that Kashkari can ~somehow~ win statewide in California.

Yes. Please.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2015, 04:22:45 AM »

Maybe the GOP can win California if they nominate someone who is pro-gay, pro-environment, pro-choice, pro-minimum wage increase, pro-weed, pro-social spending.

The Democrats haven't even tried the marijuana legalization part. I think Sanders is the only potential 2016 candidate who supports it.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2015, 06:45:51 PM »

I really don't see California voting Republican anytime soon. In my opinion, California is one of a few holdout states (along with New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, DC, Hawaii and Illinois) that will stick with the Democrats even if they nominate a toxic candidate who will lose every other state to the Republican candidate.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2015, 02:37:50 PM »

The Democrats haven't even tried the marijuana legalization part. I think Sanders is the only potential 2016 candidate who supports it.

Yet they have been notably softer on drugs and are known for it among Democratic youngs.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »

Prop 187 killed the Republican Party in California. Next question.
hopper
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2015, 10:46:35 PM »

I saw an article on the "Cook Political Report" that said CA Whites voted 51% Dem vs the 38% of the White Vote that Dems got nationally in 2014 Congressional Races. The difference was that on the CA coast where 56% of Whites voted for a Dem Candidate. Outside of the CA coast(i.e. inland) CA Whites voted like the rest of the country.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies