Major Candidacy Announcement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:18:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Major Candidacy Announcement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Major Candidacy Announcement  (Read 728 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2005, 10:15:04 PM »
« edited: February 23, 2005, 10:21:21 PM by Jake »

(Jake approaches the podium outside his home in Marietta, Georgia)

Welcome to all of you here.

Over the past few months of the 5th Senate, we have seen a slew of rash spending propositions crop up, only to quickly gain support from the left wing of the Senate and be passed. We have been lucky in that we have a fiscally responsible president in office. But what happens if this weekend's elections end with Lewis Trondheim or Al as the president-elect? What will happen if the Senate turns out to have a left wing bias? Those spending bills will be passed, and quite possibly, a tax increase will be levied on everyone to pay for these pork barrel schemes. Now, I can't make a difference now, but come April I hope I will be able to make a difference. I'm here today to announce my candidacy for the District Four Senate seat currently held by Senator WMS.

(applause and cheering greet these words)

It will be a hard fight to be elected. WMS is a popular senator and is supported by many citizens. But I can win this fight.  I can bring some measure of fiscal sanity back to Nyman. I campaign as the fiscally responsible candidate in this race.  And I'll let it be known now, I will run this race to gain the votes of all residents. Democrats, Libertarians, Republicans, Freedom Partyers, Unionists, and States Rightists can all expect me to stand up for their ideas.

For Democrats, I offer this. I will not oppose spending increases on education, as long as the money is given to the regions or even the local school boards to spend as they wish. I promise not to try to change the status-quo on issues like abortion, gay marriage, or school prayer. I promise to bring reform to the death penalty. I promise that I will stand up for all this district's citizens when I vote. I have already worked in a bipartisan way to pass the Abortion Initiative to stop 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions, while at the same time respecting a women's right to choose before that time.

For States Rightists, I promise this.  I will work to move more issues to regional control. I will work to reform education so that regions and local government have control over the money, and not Nyman bureaucrats. I also will fight to keep abortion and other regional rights, under regional control. I was the sponsor of the Abortion Initiative which firmly spelled out the Southeastern Region's right to make laws on abortions.  You can expect similar support for regional rights once I am elected.

For Freedom Party members, I promise to work for your basic goal, Freedom. I will stand up for values that create Freedom, Love, Responsibility, Justice, Liberty, and Truth. I will not oppose things that are good for my district. I will constantly work to improve the lives of the citizens of my district and I won't stop fighting for others.

For Unionists and Libertarians, I promose fiscal responsibilty and the protection of individual rights. As I've said before, I will not stand opposed to rights that Atlasia has already granted to its citizens. The gay marriage issue has already be settled, and no matter how much some may disagree with it, I will not oppose that law. I have already stated my support for a balanced budget amendment, and if nothing is done about this issue in the 6th Senate, I promise to work on it when I'm elected.

For Republicans, I promise this. I will not abandon the key conservative principles that I've always fought for. Namely, low taxes, responsible spending, a strong foreign policy, and strong families. Every knows my background on tax issues. I've always opposed a tax raise if it is not sorely needed, and I have always opposed a tax cut if it isn't matched with a spending cut. The Republicans of my district can expect me to continue standing up for those values.

And for those independent voters in the district, I promise to continue to work in a bipartisan manner. My Abortion Initiative was passed with support from all parties. I have shown that I will always support the best candidate in any race.

I look for the endorsements of all parties in this region. I know I have something to give every voter, no matter their party affiliation. I have shown myself to be active in the government and I have shown that I have an opinion on every bill, I will offer debate, and I will vote. Always. I will not be Senator Inactive, I will not miss a debate, and I will not be aloof from the concerns of my constituents.

Over the next two months I will campaign hard and I will introduce more about my plans for improving Atlasia. I thank you all for coming today. There is a long campaign ahead.  Good night.

(Jake leaves the stage to the Bee Gees 'How deep is your love')
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 10:43:34 PM »

LIBERTARIANS V. POPULISTS...

NEXT ON WWE SMACKDOWN CAMPAIGNING!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 10:46:35 PM »

uhm, you're very unlikely to be in the same district as WMS after redistricting...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 10:50:25 PM »

LIBERTARIANS V. POPULISTS...

NEXT ON WWE SMACKDOWN CAMPAIGNING!

This is the Southeast.
We don’t need a New York wrestling company.
TNA IMPACT POLITICS will do nicely.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 10:51:48 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2005, 10:53:24 PM by Senate Candidate Sam Spade »

uhm, you're very unlikely to be in the same district as WMS after redistricting...

I assume he just means the District 4 Senate seat in general, even if WMS gets moved out of District 4 after the next redistricting post-election.

Anyway Jake, from one present Senate candidate to one future Senate candidate, I wish you good luck.  Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 11:27:17 PM »

Well, I was expecting this, although a wee bit closer to the actual election. Wink En garde, Libertarian!

Senator Inactive? Excuuuuuuuse me? Just because I don't feel the need to write 30 paragraphs of text on every bill doesn't mean I don't read the bills, hoss. And I check the Fantasy Government thread first thing when I check into the Forum, to see if there is anything I need to take action on.

And I had certain goals to accomplish as a Senator, so I've stayed on target in trying to get them accomplished. I'm still awaiting the finale of the new Constitution to determine if I need to get NM moved into the Pacific, but other than that I'm happy to have played a significant role in passing serious electoral reforms (a tip of the hat to Senator Gabu for his great assistance in that), in defanging Migrendel's noxious Family Planning Act, in boosting the pay of Atlasia's armed forces, and in trying to reduce abortions through non-coercive means (I know you disagree with the means Supersoulty came up with, but the intent was good). I have stayed as true as possible to my Centrist-Populist philosophy, which means making some hard choices on the bills I'm presented with. Often, I support the intent of the bill but not necessarily the implementation of it. Trying to pass good laws is a lot harder for one who looks at several angles of an issue than for one who blindly follows ideology and partisanship.

And as for aloof from the concerns of his constituents, you and Dibble by yourselves do not make up the entire constituency of D4, ya know. Pfft. No jars of salsa for you two.

But we'll see what redistricting brings, Oh Political Foil. Grin

Et tu, Sam? ;-P
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 11:53:12 PM »

No, no.  You're not Senator Inactive, on the contrary, you're the one that's always doing stuff.  I was painting a general picture of the kind of people who don't really do anything in the senate.  So, please, can I have some salsa?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 01:27:18 AM »

No, no.  You're not Senator Inactive, on the contrary, you're the one that's always doing stuff.  I was painting a general picture of the kind of people who don't really do anything in the senate.  So, please, can I have some salsa?

Sorry for the delay, I was going through other threads...

Ah, OK then...so, 'doing stuff' like voting in ways you don't like, eh? Wink Still beats doing nothing...

Sure thing: *sends three jars of El Pinto salsa, mild, medium, and hot, to Jake - it's President Bush Approved!* *seriously, it is - he ate there on one of his campaign visits last year Cheesy *
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies