Advice Needed: Should I Finish My Degree Early or Do Work Terms?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:02:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Advice Needed: Should I Finish My Degree Early or Do Work Terms?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Advice Needed: Should I Finish My Degree Early or Do Work Terms?  (Read 249 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:50:34 AM »

I have the opportunity to do take part in my school's co-op program and do some work terms to get some experience before I graduate. Normally I would have enrolled without a second thought, but since I have rushed my degree, I could graduate a year early (May 2014) if I stayed out of co-op and went to school full time.

I'm on a full scholarship and I have a part-time job on campus that pays about half of what co-op would pay me (and I'd have to give up if I got a work term), so the main benefit of the work terms is experience and a bit of extra cash.

My degree is in accounting, which is fairly structured. If I wen't into co-op I'd have to do school part time over the next two years. Co-op will increase my chances of getting a plum "partner track" job, but I have a good shot at a position in my field no matter what I do.

On a more personal level, I'm getting married in the next year or so. My fiance is already working and can support me just fine, but I'd like to contribute to the household financially, and we'd both like to have kids sooner rather than later.

Tl;dr

Co-op:
Pro: Work experience, some extra spending money, chance at a better job
Con: Graduate a year later, Have to do school part time for 2 years instead of full time for 1.

Finish Early:
Pro: Graduate in 10 months, Should be employed long before I would have graduated if I did co-op
Con: Probably work a lower paying job.

Thoughts?

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:12:42 AM »

How is the job market?

The issue to me is, you end up with the same degree in the end - while work experience would be useful, if you can afford reasonably to get by I'd want to get out faster. Even if you have to delay the wedding by a little bit to make sure you're a bit more established financially.

If there's reasonable job prospects that is...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies