FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:06:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 10057 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »

Staying up until midnight or 1 AM for the end of a World Cup match (especially the Final) wouldn't be a big deal to Europeans. At least not to real fans. I could see a problem if that's the start time for a match but they'd do it for the Final.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »

I woke up in the middle of the night so many times in 2002, I can't even remember one good sleeping night, that july. Also, all those games in the middle of the afternoon, on weekdays, are pretty annoying when we have competitions in Europe.
That's the nice thing when you like a world class sport. Sure, baseball or gaelic football fans (not to mention rugby with protections) doesn't have this problem.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »

In Germany, the final was watched by some 2 million people, which is quite a lot considering the timing.
I don't think staying up until midnight is much of an issue here.
If the final is begun at midnight, of course, that's staying up til 2am. Ooh, some people want to watch the celebrations afterwards too. They stay up til 3.

Not a problem for consenting adults unless they need to get up at 5, of course. But World Cup time is when kids who don't even know the rules yet have a constitutional right to be watching as much as is feasible, and certainly the final.

I woke up in the middle of the night so many times in 2002
Oh yeah, those morning games back in the day... you're right, those would have been dead-middle-of-night games for Americans. They did try to move as many as possible of the most interesting games to the latest slots...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #253 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »

Don't they frequently play La Liga games around midnight? I remember watching Clasicos last year at like 5pm eastern time, which is like 11 at night, right? Maybe Spain is just weird like that.

Anyway, Europeans have no reason to complain. Most international tournaments are on during the morning and early afternoon here in the United States. I frequently wake up at like 8 am on Saturdays to watch the Premier League.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #254 on: July 03, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »

Don't they frequently play La Liga games around midnight? I remember watching Clasicos last year at like 5pm eastern time, which is like 11 at night, right? Maybe Spain is just weird like that.

Anyway, Europeans have no reason to complain. Most international tournaments are on during the morning and early afternoon here in the United States. I frequently wake up at like 8 am on Saturdays to watch the Premier League.

Yeah, they don't understand our struggle. Luckily, Napoli has featured in more primetime games and 2:45 on a Sunday is perfect for me but otherwise I'm up at 9 or even 6 AM.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #255 on: July 03, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »

Nobody in Spain goes to bed until two in the morning anyway, so it's convenient.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #256 on: July 03, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »

Nobody in Spain goes to bed until two in the morning anyway, so it's convenient.

I mean, 27%+ of them have nothing to do the next day anyway Sad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #257 on: July 04, 2013, 07:44:50 AM »

Also, they are in a ridiculously wrong time zone so staying up late is just self-defense, and they have long noon breaks.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies