SENATE BILL: Holidays Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:08:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Holidays Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Holidays Act (Law'd)  (Read 3966 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 01:32:59 AM »

NAY
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 01:53:37 AM »

Aye, but it will need further amendments.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 02:00:24 AM »

We do not have Adolf Hitler Day celebrated as a holiday, we do not honor the British monarchy and Mussolini doesn't get honored with a day in his name anywhere in this nation. We do, however, have locales that believe that a man such as Robert E. Lee deserves a day in his honor. A traitor, a racist, a killer. These areas have the nerve to celebrate a man who fought to preserve slavery instead of Martin Luther King Jr Day. What does this say about our country?

I have no issue with defunding "Robert E. Lee Day", I even said that in the previous communication. I just want a clear list of leaders, so it can't be used to defund various Confederate soldiers which just had the bad luck to live in the wrong area of the World during that War.

Also, it doesn't consider at all the actions made by men after the War, when they may have redeemed themselves. And what is a "Confederate concept"? Are Line item vetoes and regional autonomy are Confederate concepts? It's in the Confederate Constitution, after all.

It's so badly worded than it's way overreaching.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2013, 04:29:17 AM »

We do not have Adolf Hitler Day celebrated as a holiday, we do not honor the British monarchy and Mussolini doesn't get honored with a day in his name anywhere in this nation. We do, however, have locales that believe that a man such as Robert E. Lee deserves a day in his honor. A traitor, a racist, a killer. These areas have the nerve to celebrate a man who fought to preserve slavery instead of Martin Luther King Jr Day. What does this say about our country?

I have no issue with defunding "Robert E. Lee Day", I even said that in the previous communication. I just want a clear list of leaders, so it can't be used to defund various Confederate soldiers which just had the bad luck to live in the wrong area of the World during that War.

Also, it doesn't consider at all the actions made by men after the War, when they may have redeemed themselves. And what is a "Confederate concept"? Are Line item vetoes and regional autonomy are Confederate concepts? It's in the Confederate Constitution, after all.

It's so badly worded than it's way overreaching.

If it just defunded Lee Day of federal money, I wouldn't care either. The problem is that it doesn't just defund that but everything that receives federal support that such gov't entity is doing. It is excessive and I don't think that such conditions have ever been placed on federal funding in such a broad sweeping way for such a trivial matter really. Typically it is a condition of a related funding mechanism (highway funding - speed limit, and I think dringing age; education funding - curriculum changes). A system I find rather reasonable because it is narrowly within that issues spending and basically says if you use our education money then you better follow these speficied standards for education. It is a system I have utilized in bills before. In a similar fashion is denying funds to a region that abuses the money or misappropriates it, that is a reasonable standard as well. However, this setup is basically going back and saying, "You know all that money we been giving you, you betterlet us dictate your holidays, unless you are prepared to deal with out it, any of it".

It gets worse then that, and opens the door to the very things I warned about on the previous page. So if a gray uniform is a "confederate concept" that anyone who celebrates the cadets at West Point and VMI (the origination of the gray uniform if I am not mistaken) is going to lose all their federal money? Not to mention the MA regiment at First Manassas who arrived on the field in grey (and yes they paid for it immensly), just because some bureaucrat with a blank check to do what whatever he wants under this text can now shut down evey school in MA or maybe even the Northeast should they choose to celebrate this unfortunate regiment. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »

Aye
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »

Nay
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »

Why is there an "International Women's Day" but not an "International Men's Day" in the amendment? My impression is that if you want to make federal holidays more politically correct you shouldn't discriminate against a particular sex. While we are at it you could also include the "Intersex Awareness Day".
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »

In this case it would be more appropriate to establish federal holidays for various social groups that have faced discrimination and exclusion throughout Atlasia's history rather than single out women.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »

If I were a Senator I still couldn't support this amendment. Indeed, the selection of federal holidays seems very arbitrary. Apart from the fact that the "International Women's Day" is recognized while the "International Men's Day" and the "Intersex Awareness Day" (intersex people have also faced discrimination) are not, there is also the case of one sports event that is favored over all others and one particular Christian holiday that is granted the status of a federal holiday while all others aren't (Easter has become at least as secularized as Christmas IMO). Thus, I hope the majority of Senators will vote against the amendment or the entire the bill if the amendment gets adopted.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2013, 04:28:11 PM »

• I would be fine with replacing Women's Day with Gender Equality Day, although I don't think that there's anything egregious about celebrating a holiday dedicated to  a huge group of people (over half of us) that has faced incredible discrimination throughout our history.
  • If you think that Easter has been secularized to the same extent as Christmas, you're not very familiar with Atlasian culture. (Or maybe I'm just too Catholic to see it. Tongue)
  • I think that a Super Bowl related holiday is silly, too, but I'm willing to swallow it if it means establishing federal recognition fro the rest of the holidays included in this bill. Depending on how this vote goes, I may offer an amendment removing the Super Bowl from the list of federally recognized holidays. (Or perhaps we could resolve ZuWo's objection by replacing it with "International Men's Day", although that does seem a bit sexist considering how many women watch the event and how many men do not.)

Point 2 is a mildly offensive thing to say; after all I am the governor of Atlasia's most populous region. Tongue

Anyway, I'll leave the Senate floor now and let the members of this body continue their work.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »

Nay
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »

AYE
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2013, 05:03:28 AM »

The inclusion of a super bowl related holiday is one of the silliest things I've seen asked for, and it's something I'm not very keen on signing should it be included in the final product.

It's humorous to me that bills like this seem to get the most debate, these days, as well. Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »

The inclusion of a super bowl related holiday is one of the silliest things I've seen asked for, and it's something I'm not very keen on signing should it be included in the final product.

It's humorous to me that bills like this seem to get the most debate, these days, as well. Tongue

right. Better to spnd our time debating whether political speches should be givn wearing animal costumes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2013, 06:53:59 AM »

4-3-0-2

I think Hagrid and sbane haven't voted yet. I can't see all the votes on the page of the post box, because of the ongoing debate. Which is good of course, I mean good that the debate is occuring.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »

I am fine with section III of course of your amendment, Nix. As I said before, I wouldn't mind preventing of the use of federal funds by regions to pay for holding such a holiday as well since that is federal money being used directly for such purposes as I detailed in a post a few days ago.

I will process your amendment just as soon as I figure out what all of you have introducedo n what bills, since it seems to be al ot. Tongue 

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2013, 09:26:56 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2013, 09:29:13 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Feedback: None Given
Status: Vote tomorrow if none is given. Pending completion of previous amendment. VP and Dean may open the vote once 24 hours have passed since offering with no feedback and the previous vote having concluded. Your sparkling flower distracted me, Nix. Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2013, 12:30:35 AM »

Senator Nix's amendment is hostile.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2013, 10:12:39 AM »

Kalwejt, you already voted on the present vote. Tongue

3-4-0-3 

Hagrid, sbane and Gass (has he swore in yet?) have yet to vote.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2013, 07:26:19 PM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »

Vote on Amendment 55:18 by Napoleon:

Aye (3): Kalwejt, MaxQue, and Napoleon
Nay (5): Averroës Nix, Ben, HagridoftheDeep, NC Yankee, and Snowstalker
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (2): Gass and sbane

With five votes in the negative, three in the affirmative and time having expired, the amendment has been rejected.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »

NAY