Office of the Liberal Party (New Chair)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:41:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of the Liberal Party (New Chair)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Office of the Liberal Party (New Chair)  (Read 5372 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
« edited: July 18, 2013, 08:54:31 PM by DemPGH, V.P. »

Liberal Party Convention
Miami, FL

Well, I feel like being in Key Largo, so here we go. And I like to run on the beach. I'm opening this after a couple requests and a couple questions as to whether or not I would be interested in being chair. I don't have to be chair, and I want people to keep in mind that I have A.G. duties and I am running for V.P. But I enjoy the game and I want it to flourish, so I will do what I can. Wink

We need to do the following, and quickly:

1) Select a chair.
Superique and I have declared interest.
I have PM'd Kalwejt and Napoleon about their interest in being chair as well.

2) select a vice chair; in other words, have a core group.

3) Decide on endorsements. This is required because we're a major party, so we have to do this.

That can be done with relative ease. Then we need to,

4) Update the platform / discuss the party's future. We have 30+ people, so it should not be hard. Once we take care of those things and get the train moving, we can discuss other less relevant issues.

Like protecting the environment, the coastal areas, coral reefs, protecting privacy, protecting unions, social liberties, and many other things. I know, hardly "less relevant." Smiley

So,
Superique and DemPGH have declared interest for chair. Last call: anyone else?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »

X Napoleon
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:55:04 AM »

X Windjammer
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »

X Superique
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:01:17 PM »

I'll be posting my views on the Liberal Party platform somewhere in a near future. But for now, here it's my old Council Platform:

First, I'm announcing that I'm running for the Pacific Council!

How I stand on the issues.

Government Spending

I’m extremely favorable of a strong fiscal discipline, all funds that come from taxes are not Government’s Money, they are people’s money and we ought to take care of it.

Although running on deficit is not an ideal reality, sometimes it’s necessary to spend more than you actually have. Crisis and huge unemployment times are the best situation to use such a fiscal policy.

That is why I’m totally in favor of an anti-cyclical fiscal and monetary policy. When the economy is weak, it’s time for government to take some actions, but when the economy is back on track, it’s time for government to step back, reduce spending and even work on a balanced budget.

Government Spending must be transparent. Every citzen must be able to see how is his money being used. I support web initiatives that make government spending more transparent and I would support that every budget of a public institution must be accessible for every citzen that is interested on it.

A New Economy

Atlasia is facing a new world. The old industrial complex such as manufacturing and car companies are getting out of the country and jobs are going to other nations.  It’s time to face this whole new situation but we have to be careful on this particular issue.

Jobs are getting out of the country because our work costs are soaring. There are many people who believe that reducing workers rights will be the answer for this crisis. With less social benefits and rights obviously that hiring-costs will reduce but I don’t think that this is the fair way to go.

I say that it’s time to invest on the 21st Century Economy. The Pacific Region should focus on new activities such as High Tech Industries and Renewable Energy Companies.

As a Council Member, I will fight for:

*A Renewable Energy Investment Act. A whole plan that will improve our power grid by adding new renewable plants, investing on green infrastructure and encouraging the use of solar and wind power at home.

*High-Tech Development Zones Act. I will fight for the creation of specific zones in the Pacific Region where High-Tech Industries will be encouraged. My plan is to invest on great transportation infrastructure, local job-training to help those who are under unemployment and tax reductions for those new companies

This new laws will strongly help us at fighting unemployment that is chronicle problem in the Pacific Region.

Taxation

Regional Taxation must be simple, fair and it must be progressive. In general, I’m in favor of low marginal-taxes but I’m against too much deductions. A simple tax code is better as it reduces the costs of compliance and the time that is spent by calculations.

I’m in favor of a Carbon Tax.

The Environment

Men are responsible for a significant part of Global Warming and most scientists agree on that. I believe in science and that is why I think we have to address Global Warming. That is why I support measures that discourage carbon-dioxide emissions directly or indirectly; that means that I support a Carbon Tax and Cap and Trade.   (Not sure anymore)

Our air needs to be clean; we must reduce pollution by enhancing our laws: Polluters must be punished with fees, we need a good sanitation system (trash must be recycled) and we have to implement a Fuel Efficiency Standard for cars. Although clean air is important, we also need to have clean water. Lakes, waterfalls and rivers must be highly protected with strict regulations and all water bodies deserve adequate treatment.

Off-shore drilling don’t have to be banned, but it has to be carefully done and maybe we will need to create some regulations on that.

The Pacific Council must act to make our engines more efficient and we have to introduce more renewable sources. Investing in a new, high-tech economy is also important: the 21st business must be focused on less usage of our natural resources, more efficient batteries and engines along products with huge aggregate value and big technological improvements.

As a Council Member, I would support:

*Clean Air and Clean Water Act. Addressing water and air pollution. It includes Fuel Efficiency Standards, fine for polluters, line of credit for eco-friendly initiatives and Water-treatment investments.

*  Water Efficiency Act. Every year, a regional agency would register water consumption per capita of the pacific region.  Then it would be determined an average, those who are above this average would pay a proportional fine and those who achieve using less water would get a proportional discount on their water bills.

Forest and Animals must be protected and I would be in favor of the creation of Regional Reserves to protect and preserve important parts of our wildlife. Alaska hosts one of the best biomes in the world and we ought to protect the Tundra!

Social Issues

*Gun Possession:  Although I’m against of a normal citizen holding guns, I will respect clause 5 of Article VI of our Constitution.  However, I think that the gun possession must be highly controlled; its sales must be documented and gun owners must have a specific ID Card.

Sales must be prohibited to certain types of guns, automatic guns is one of those cases. Buying multiple guns and too much ammunition in a short period of time has to be restricted.

*Drugs: Drugs are not a criminal issue; drugs are a medical issue. The government shall legalize drugs and highly regulate it.

Marijuana, Mushrooms and Amphetamines must be sold under specific places and the consumption of those drugs shall be done at home or in specific clubs. The medicinal usage of Marijuana should be allowed and research in order to develop new medicines could be encouraged.

I believe that Cocaine, Crack and Heroin Sales should continue to be illegal.  I support however the Presidency’s Policy of giving clean needles and providing less-harmful psychotropic alternatives for those citizens addicted to these kind of drugs.

As a Council Member, I would support an act that creates Rehab Clinics to help those drug addicted who desire a new life. The purpose of this Rehab Clinics is to provide treatment for those who are now on the Safe Injection Sites.

*Abortion: I’m Pro-choice and I believe that it’s up to women to decide whether or not to have babies. I don’t support abortion after 18 weeks of pregnancy while cases of rape, incest and when mother’s life is under threat must be legalized on any situation.

I also believe that the state must do everything possible on its hands to stop the abortion decision; that is why I support psychological, social and medical support before the decision and that is why I would encourage adoption programs.

*Same-sex Marriage: I don’t think that government should be responsible of any kind of Marriage. Our Constitution doesn’t have an official religious and marriage is a holy ceremony. I think that government has to be only responsible for Civil Unions, granting all the rights that we can have right now with marriages. Civil Unions don’t have to consider the sex of their participants.

Healthcare: I believe that healthcare is a right; being unhealthy can limit people to exercise other rights that they have.

I totally support The New Atlasian Healthcare Act and Single-payer is the best healthcare system in the Atlasian History.  I would also encourage that the Pacific Region to start some clinics that are state-owned in order to start some cost-containment technics and programs.

Prevention is the best way to reduce healthcare costs, I support laws that encourage a healthy life-style. We must tax Tobacco, Alcohol and Marijuana, vegetables and fruits should be tax-exempt. Campaigns under schools and giving incentives to sports are a wonderful way to fight a sedentary life-style and obesity.Healthcare expenditures such as glasses, medicines and out-of-pocket expenditures must be totally deductible from our income tax.

Drug research must be financially encouraged and I would support more investments to find cure for diseases such as AIDS, Diabetes, different kind of syndromes and cancer.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »

Is there an another candidate?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »

XNapoleon
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »

What?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »

SirNick the Napoleon sock? Hmm.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

Impossible. If Sirnick were a Napoleon sock, he couldn't have done this mistake because Napoleon posted yesterday: "XNapoleon".
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »

Impossible. If Sirnick were a Napoleon sock, he couldn't have done this mistake because Napoleon posted yesterday: "XNapoleon".

People with sock accounts have in the past been tripped up by thinking they had done something in one identity when they had instead done it in another.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »

Considering he joined a year and a half before I did, wouldn't I be his sock?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 10:34:06 AM »

So, maybe we can vote?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »

I was hoping for more than a handful including myself to check in, so if we call it quorum, sure, we can vote. If anyone else wants to check in, they can do so as far as I'm concerned with their vote.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »

xClinton1996
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2013, 11:57:27 AM by shua »

x shua
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »

People with sock accounts have in the past been tripped up by thinking they had done something in one identity when they had instead done it in another.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention and make a simple mistake.

xSirNick
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »

X Earthling
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2013, 10:17:12 AM by DemPGH, Atty. Gen. »

Okay, I checked the bylaws again and while I do not see any definition of quorum, I do see that 1/4 of the members of the party are required to do other things. So we're very near that threshold plus another 1 or 2. So I guess we'll vote on two things given the circumstances here: Party Chair and President / Vice President endorsement. I really think we should have at least 1/4 of the party vote, which would be about 9 votes.

I'll say 72 hours.

Let me know if anything is wrong here, but I've checked it.

Party Chair:

[  ] DemPGH
[  ] Superique

Presidential / Vice Presidential endorsement:

[  ] Averroës Nix (Labor-NY) and DemPGH (Liberal-PA)
[  ] Matt from VT (Federalist-NY) and Maxwell (Federalist-KS)
[  ] Xahar (NMAM-CA) and Hashemite (NMAM-FL)
[  ] NOTA / Neutrality

Other: If there is someone you want to endorse, just endorse them. The first order of business is to get some semblance of a hierarchy in place around here.

[  ] TNF
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »

Is this the proper time to request an endorsement for the Senate race in the Midwest?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »

Just one thing before posting, maybe we should elect a vice chair too? (look how Clinton1996's resignation was problematic for our party because there wasn't a vice chair!

EDIT: And yes, I would be opened to endorse TNF.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »

Party Chair:

[ 1 ] DemPGH
[ 2 ] Superique

[ 1 ] Averroës Nix (Labor-NY) and DemPGH (Liberal-PA)
[ 2 ] Matt from VT (Federalist-NY) and Maxwell (Federalist-KS)
[  ] Xahar (NMAM-CA) and Hashemite (NMAM-FL)
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »

Party Chair:

[ 1 ] DemPGH
[ 2 ] Superique

[ 1 ] Averroës Nix (Labor-NY) and DemPGH (Liberal-PA)
[ 2 ] Matt from VT (Federalist-NY) and Maxwell (Federalist-KS)
[ 3 ] Xahar (NMAM-CA) and Hashemite (NMAM-FL)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »

Party Chair:

[  ] DemPGH
[X] Superique

[  ] Averroës Nix (Labor-NY) and DemPGH (Liberal-PA)
[  ] Matt from VT (Federalist-NY) and Maxwell (Federalist-KS)
[  ] Xahar (NMAM-CA) and Hashemite (NMAM-FL)
[X] neutrality
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »

Party Chair:

[  ] DemPGH
[X] Superique

[2] Averroës Nix (Labor-NY) and DemPGH (Liberal-PA)
[1] Matt from VT (Federalist-NY) and Maxwell (Federalist-KS)
[  ] Xahar (NMAM-CA) and Hashemite (NMAM-FL)
[3] neutrality
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies