Who was the most "electable" candidate for both parties, by year? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:22:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who was the most "electable" candidate for both parties, by year? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who was the most "electable" candidate for both parties, by year?  (Read 6893 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: June 08, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »

Pat Buchanan would have done better than Dole?  Give me a break.  He was just too racist, too anti-Semitic and too much of a gadfly to meet the minimum requirements for a President.  He would have lost a historic landslide. 

2008, I think Romney would have fared better than McCain.

Granted, he would not have won (no one could have beaten Obama that year), but he would have been competitive.

When the economy collapsed and the government starting bailing out banks for 700 million, all the other issues, like terrorism and Iraq, became nothing.

That's where McCain lost his appeal. With his military background, McCain was a guy who could win in an election dominated by national security. In an election dominated by finance, McCain was done.

But Romney has an economic background. He was a businessman. He was a governor. He would've made a solid argument that he was better equipped to handle the Great Recession than some "inexperienced" senator from Chicago.

McCain lost by 7%. Romney would have lost by around 4-5%. He would have taken NC and Indiana (as he did in 2012) and maybe Florida.

And also, Romney would not have picked Palin.

That would be the biggest advantage for a non-McCain candidate in 2008.  And I suspect it would have helped the Republicans somewhat.

However, you have to wonder whether being tied to the banking industry and private equity world would have actually hurt Romney.  Rather than being seen as an "economist," he could have been seen as akin to one of the reckless financiers at Lehman, AIG, Goldman, etc.  That could have made Romney's finance background a liability rather than an asset.  That argument certainly didn't seem to win over many people in 2012 anyway.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »

That would be the biggest advantage for a non-McCain candidate in 2008.  And I suspect it would have helped the Republicans somewhat.

However, you have to wonder whether being tied to the banking industry and private equity world would have actually hurt Romney.  Rather than being seen as an "economist," he could have been seen as akin to one of the reckless financiers at Lehman, AIG, Goldman, etc.  That could have made Romney's finance background a liability rather than an asset.  That argument certainly didn't seem to win over many people in 2012 anyway.

In 2012, he was facing an incumbent Barack Obama. He couldn't argue that he was more experienced or economically savvy than the president.

In 2008, Obama was not president but "inexperienced" senator, so the argument would have worked. In public eye, Romney was > Obama in economic affairs. That's huge.

Romney would've been appealing in 2008, I feel; more appealing than in 2012.

During the primaries, the economy wasn't this front-and-center issue as yet. Iraq, water-boarding,  and other stuff was still there, which helped McCain win the GOP nomination over him.

Mitt Romney certainly tried to argue he was more economically savvy than the President in 2012.  But, people don't necessarily vote based on who has more of a background in a certain issue.  People focus more on policy than on resumes.  It's not just who knows more about this issue, it's who do I agree with.  For example, I'm sure you could say that Donald Trump has more of a business background than Obama.  It doesn't mean Trump would have "won" that issue if he was the GOP nominee in 2008.

The other thing you're forgetting is that Romney was the conservative candidate in 2008.  He would have had more trouble than McCain with being branded a right-winger.  McCain benefited in 2008 from his moderate and maverick reputation.  Romney could have been seen as more of a continuation of Bush's right-wing policies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies