Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:44:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80
Author Topic: Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"  (Read 163783 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: July 21, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »

A major prayer has been answered!! When we left Kenya earlier this month, there was a teacher's strike that prevented students from going to class right around exam prep time. After much prayer from God's people, the teacher's strike has been called off, so the teachers and the students can return to the classroom and prepare for and take the necessary exams later this summer! So proud of several young men and women in Kenya who, instead of partying while the teachers were on strike, organized study sessions with their peers to study on their own for the exams. They take their schooling seriously and with pride! That hit home to me when I heard that. Thank you, LORD!!

You really think God meddles in teacher's strikes?  Doesn't that kinda go against the principle of free will?  Or do you not believe in free will?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1901 on: July 21, 2013, 06:43:50 PM »

Bushie, you post about teachers in Kenya but I have pull teeth to see if your kids got malaria?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1902 on: July 21, 2013, 07:00:47 PM »

A major prayer has been answered!! When we left Kenya earlier this month, there was a teacher's strike that prevented students from going to class right around exam prep time. After much prayer from God's people, the teacher's strike has been called off, so the teachers and the students can return to the classroom and prepare for and take the necessary exams later this summer! So proud of several young men and women in Kenya who, instead of partying while the teachers were on strike, organized study sessions with their peers to study on their own for the exams. They take their schooling seriously and with pride! That hit home to me when I heard that. Thank you, LORD!!

OMG... a strike ended!!! and you wanted it to!!! OMG thank you Jeebus!!

As opposed to a strike ending through negotiations ... as they usually do.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1903 on: July 21, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »

You really think God meddles in teacher's strikes?  Doesn't that kinda go against the principle of free will?  Or do you not believe in free will?

Bushy's theology has not been fully fleshed out. I propose we start a fund to put him through seminary. That would be worth a season or 3 of stuff.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1904 on: July 21, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »

Bushy's theology has not been fully fleshed out. I propose we start a fund to put him through seminary. That would be worth a season or 3 of stuff.

Bushie's theology hasn't evolved beyond the middle-ages.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1905 on: July 21, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2013, 07:58:02 PM by Duke »

Bushie and I simply have a profoundly different way of viewing Christianity. The Greek Orthodox church and the baptist or whatever denomination he is couldn't be more different. No wonder he is at such ease about his life - he thinks he will be given the keys to heaven no matter what he does on earth.

So why not believe like they do? Jesus can be the scapegoat for all their faults.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1906 on: July 21, 2013, 07:59:04 PM »

The ratings for theology segments of "The Update" aren't great.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1907 on: July 21, 2013, 09:02:07 PM »

No, it hadn't started until after the Middle Ages were over.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1908 on: July 21, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »

Inks, God worked through the teachers or the powers that be to end the strike.  Everything good is credited ultimately to God.  As sinful humans, we cannot do anything good on our own, we must have the Holy Spirit working through us.  We may do good acts, but without the Holy Spirit, the heart behind the good acts is not God honoring.  Ultimately, that's what our life on earth is about - giving glory and honor and praise to Almighty God.  We were all made in the image of God, therefore we exist for His pleasure and to advance His kingdom.  Our purpose on earth is crystal clear - to know God and make Him known.  No if's, and's, or but's about it and no negotiation.  Our lives exist for that very reason.  We each has different ways that we are gifted to make Him known, but every single human that has ever walked the face of the earth has the exact same purpose.  God said it, that settles it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1909 on: July 21, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »

Wow, so not only does Bushie's version of God not dis-incentivize bad behavior, but He's also a strike breaker? At least the Catholic God isn't anti-worker.

Have you not read what I have been saying?  I have NEVER dis-incentivized bad behavior. EVER.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1910 on: July 21, 2013, 09:10:32 PM »

3 seasons? That's it? You underestimate the power of the Update. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1911 on: July 21, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »

No, it hadn't started until after the Middle Ages were over.

Quoted for truth. I'd put it in the Good Post Gallery, but apparently one sentence quips aren't welcome there.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1912 on: July 21, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »

You two have a lot to talk about...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1913 on: July 21, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »

Wow, so not only does Bushie's version of God not dis-incentivize bad behavior, but He's also a strike breaker? At least the Catholic God isn't anti-worker.

Have you not read what I have been saying?  I have NEVER dis-incentivized bad behavior. EVER.

That's precisely the problem.  You need to disincentivize bad behavior, so you won't engage in it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1914 on: July 21, 2013, 09:27:58 PM »

That's precisely the problem.  You need to disincentivize bad behavior, so you won't engage in it.

Whoops!!  If I would re-read the question then I would be able to say "I have ALWAYS dis-incentivized bad behavior.  ALWAYS".

Fail, Jeff. Fail...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1915 on: July 21, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »

I'm not too knowledgeable on old portraits.  Is that John Calvin?  If so, I have a lot in common with Calvinism.  I'm not a full Calvinist, but I do believe in the TULIP doctrine, mainly.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1916 on: July 21, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »

...it's Oliver Cromwell.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1917 on: July 21, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »

Ahh, ok.  I thought it didn't look like the image of Calvin I pulled up on Google.  I've got to do more research on Cromwell.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1918 on: July 21, 2013, 09:50:18 PM »

Ahh, ok.  I thought it didn't look like the image of Calvin I pulled up on Google.  I've got to do more research on Cromwell.
Long story made very short, the Puritans overthrew and executed Charles I, back in the 1600s. Cromwell instituted Puritan law and ruled as Lord Protector for several years until he died, after which the monarchy was restored under Charles II.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1919 on: July 21, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »

See, Bushie subscribes to the type of Christianity that mainly promotes laziness - they are anti-education, anti-advancement, anti-cultture, etc. I know the types. I once went to a Baptist church for a "friendship day" and the pastor went on a rant about how awful culture is and we must avoid it. There I sat, wondering which part of the world this man lived in. Surely he stays inside every day to avoid all the sin and filth that apparently terrifies him.

Granted, I am not a good Christian. I find the majority of Christians to be hypocrites who judge others while committing the same, and often times, worse sins than we heathens. I also find their attitudes towards education and other basic enlightened thoughts to be archaic - anti-divorce regardless of the circumstances, anti-alcohol (i mean, where the heck did that one come from? They just hate having fun).  

But deep down, I still believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ and I try to use his example to be a decent person as best I can. I don't use him as a shield or a crutch. I think we are all on this planet to make the best of ourselves and have the free will to do that. I don't see God, if he does exist, micromanaging our lives like Bushie and his types believe. You can pray for X thing to happen, sure, but it won't happen unless you take the initiative - sort of like Bushie turning his life around. Only he can do it. Not God. No amount of praying will magically give him a job or all the loads of the other things he needs to straighten out.

In Kenya, those people took the initiative to end the strike. God didn't waive a magic wand and sold all their problems. Those kids who studied? They had the free will to choose between studying and parties, and they chose studying. Good for them. I would've been hitting the bourbon hard. But this isn't about me...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1920 on: July 21, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »

Since I have two weeks remaining until I start school on Monday, August 5, 2013, I am going to start getting up early tomorrow.  My goal is to be up by 6:00 tomorrow morning, 5:30 if I can.  I will likely go to bed by 2300 tonight.  As soon as the Yankees/Red Sox game is over, I plan on reading a little in my Bible and then hitting the sack by 2300, 2315 at the very latest.  I don't have much going on tomorrow, just going to try to avoid taking a nap, as I want to reduce naps to Saturday and Sunday.  While I have a lot of time on my hands tomorrow, I'll probably put in two or three job applications.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1921 on: July 21, 2013, 11:43:49 PM »

It just seems kind of silly to reject what Bushie says (not that I disagree with that) but then say the only denomination that "makes a lick of sense" is the one that says your sins aren't forgiven through faith but confessing them to specific celibate men and it doesn't count otherwise, and that these men, and only these men have the power to turn wine and bread into someone's flesh and blood. Part of why I'm evangelical is because it rejects hierarchical structures like this and states every person has equal access to God. (Yes not always in practice, but at least in theory.) And of course I find complimentarianism so repulsive I can't support any denomination with the practice. Complete dealbreaker.

How do you feel about sola fide salvation?

Kind of have the ELCA position on this still, which is that Jesus died for the whole world, and "faith" just means not turning toward evil. I kind of hold to all five solas in a way I guess, just not the way fundamentalists usually do.

And yeah I get people don't want theology in the Update, but of course it is Bushie that started it. Although it's more like Hypocritical Humor in the way he brought it up...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1922 on: July 22, 2013, 12:11:12 AM »

Inks, God worked through the teachers or the powers that be to end the strike.  Everything good is credited ultimately to God.  As sinful humans, we cannot do anything good on our own, we must have the Holy Spirit working through us.  We may do good acts, but without the Holy Spirit, the heart behind the good acts is not God honoring.  Ultimately, that's what our life on earth is about - giving glory and honor and praise to Almighty God.  We were all made in the image of God, therefore we exist for His pleasure and to advance His kingdom.  Our purpose on earth is crystal clear - to know God and make Him known.  No if's, and's, or but's about it and no negotiation.  Our lives exist for that very reason.  We each has different ways that we are gifted to make Him known, but every single human that has ever walked the face of the earth has the exact same purpose.  God said it, that settles it.

But just because it's part of God's entire plan doesn't mean he specifically put his hand in this situation.  Humans can do good.  Humans can be "good people", but in the grand scheme of things, that does not matter.  Just because something is in God's "plan" doesn't mean he specifically set it in motion.  Sometimes he lets free will take its course.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1923 on: July 22, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »

3 seasons? That's it? You underestimate the power of the Update. Smiley

Yes... it's amazing how much power a narcissistic crazy man has...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1924 on: July 22, 2013, 12:13:29 AM »

I'm not too knowledgeable on old portraits.  Is that John Calvin?  If so, I have a lot in common with Calvinism.  I'm not a full Calvinist, but I do believe in the TULIP doctrine, mainly.

How can you not be a full Calvinist but believe in TULIP?  You have to be missing at least one of the points.  Or are you a 4.5er?

Of course, had you simply looked at the image's properties, you'd have known that's Oliver Cromwell, and not Calvin (who had a beard).
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies