are you comfortable using the phone...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:00:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  are you comfortable using the phone...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...to talk to people you dont know
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: are you comfortable using the phone...  (Read 1740 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »

no, not really.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »

Sure, why not?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »

I used to hate it when I was younger. But when you get just about any kind of office job, you make and answer so many phone calls to/from strangers in a given day that it just becomes mundane.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »

When I saw the subject, I was certain you were talking about using the phone while on the toilet...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »

Not normally.  Which is odd since I work on phones.

edit....I don't work on the phone....I work on ....no, that's not right.  I maintain phones and their associate equipment.  Right.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »

not at all
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »

Yeah... but these results do say a lot about Atlasites...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 02:56:02 AM »

Not entirely, nor with people I do know for that matter.  I avoid the phone whenever possible.  I generally will walk to a person's office rather than try to call them, even if it's in another building.  I also don't check my phone much.  I just don't think of it.  It stays in my backpack most of the time.  If I happen to hear it ring I'll answer it, but usually when I think of think of it, days have elapsed since I last checked it, and I take it out and see that it's dead.  When I plug it in I'll see that I have like 43 text messages and five voicemails or something.  I always ignore the text messages, but I usually bother to listen to the voicemails.  Typically, by then they're irrelevant.  It'll be a five-day-old message from the nurse at my son's school saying he feels sick and do I want to come pick him up?  If I'm actually expecting a call, then I'll walk around with it in my pocket, but generally speaking I guess I never really have been much of a phone talker.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 03:36:46 AM »

When I saw the subject, I was certain you were talking about using the phone while on the toilet...

You weren't the only one.

As for the question, I suppose so. However, I don't really use the phone to just call and talk in general. If I'm calling someone, I have a reason.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 03:44:47 AM »

I'm always ridiculously awkward on the phone.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 05:09:38 AM »

No. I spend my entire working day on the phone.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »

Depends. I would very much not want to be cold calling people to try to sell something, but I have no problem calling to order a pizza or whatever.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »

I've always found using the phone to be weird in general. I strongly prefer in-person or internet/SMS communication.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »

I used to hate it when I was younger. But when you get just about any kind of office job, you make and answer so many phone calls to/from strangers in a given day that it just becomes mundane.

This ^^^^^^^
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »

I hate talking on the phone, but it has nothing whatever to do with whether I know my interlocutor.  I just don't like mobile phones in my ear, and I think the sound is very bad.  I prefer text messaging.  I miss the real phones of a better age (though I still wasn't fond of talking on the phone and only rarely did so).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »

The phone ringing in the midst of my little brain working to solve one of the many mysteries of this planet is one of the most baneful aspects of my existence. But God answered my prayers, by giving me the mute button.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 05:05:32 PM »

No.  I never really liked talking on the phone to anyone, especially via cell phone.  Though that's probably because the phones I own are practically crap.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »

My job last summer/fall consisted of talking to people who I don't know on the phone.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »

Depends. I would very much not want to be cold calling people to try to sell something, but I have no problem calling to order a pizza or whatever.

you're so cool.  when we want a take-home pizza, I always get into the car, drive over there, order the pizza, go to whatever stores are nearby and hang out for 15 minutes, then go back to pick up the pizza.

I agree with opebo's comments about real phones.  I didn't like them much either, and my feelings about phones don't depend upon whether the person at the other end of the line is a stranger or an acquaintance, but back then I would at least use them to order pizzas. 

Skype, on the other hand, works well for me.  I've had a number of successful job interviews on skype.  Also, I enjoy talking to folks that way.  It's so Jetsons, don't you think?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »

I'm not comfortable using the phone to talk to people that I DO know. To me, non-verbal communication is just as important in conversation as verbal, so trying to communicate without it leaves me feeling handicapped... almost like I'm trying to navigate a corn maze while blindfolded.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 02:58:47 AM »

It's the worst thing. Thankfully you can now order takeaways online so there is no need for the awkward phone order. Interviews over the phone though, geez, they kill me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 03:15:11 AM »

Skype, on the other hand, works well for me.  I've had a number of successful job interviews on skype.  Also, I enjoy talking to folks that way.  It's so Jetsons, don't you think?

I've never used Skype, don't know how.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »

I've never used Skype, don't know how.

Oh, it's great.  You point your browser to http://www.skype.com/ and download the free software.  Then you'll set up an account.  You can use the same account on all your laptops, but you'll have to download skype on each of those.  It doesn't take long. 

My wife used to use it all the time to talk to her parents.  When I first saw it, maybe five years ago, I was amazed.  It reminded me of those Jetsons cartoons that came on in the early 70s.  We never really got cars that could fly, or modular houses on poles way up in the sky, but we at least have little picture phones.  The voice quality depends upon your speakers.  I keep proper speakers connected to all our laptops at home. 

Obviously both parties have to downloaded the software and have skype accounts, and the computers at both ends have to have cameras.  If your computer doesn't have a built-in camera and mic, you can buy a USB one from Walmart for about 20 dollars that comes with a driver on CD.

I have a strong preference for skype over phone conversations, but it can be a delicate matter.  Skype is higher maintenance.  If for example you have a telephone job interview, you can stay in your pajamas, unshaved or topless.  If you have a skype interview, a shower, shave, and necktie are in order.  Also, even though I was already married by the time the Jetsons became reality, I can imagine that it causes a tension in the dating scene.  The girl that ended up spending the night at your apartment last night and then disappeared before you awoke (thankfully), may want you to call her at some point, but will she want face-to-face conversation unnanounced?  Will she make you wait till she does her hair?  Will she not answer if she's anxious about her complexion?  Will you not call if you're anxious about yours?  These are issues I haven't dealt with.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »

'All my laptops'?  Good lord man, I have one elderly second-hand laptop that doesn't work very well at all. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »

Not unless I have to (like when I'm alone and a telemarketer calls.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies