Help! Someone copied my maps onto wikipedia without my permission!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:29:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Help! Someone copied my maps onto wikipedia without my permission!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Help! Someone copied my maps onto wikipedia without my permission!  (Read 1331 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »

Plus, at least I cited the Almanacs of American Politics on a few occasions.  So hey. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 12:53:07 AM »

But what did Fuzzy base his map off of?  If there's no originality (from my limited understanding of Feist, there has to be at least some originality), can Fuzzy actually have a copyright on his  maps?  I guess he'd have a copyright on the percentages map, but again, that's just collecting raw data and compiling it.  And this Wikipedia user didn't even copy that.  The only infringement I'm seeing is in the borders of the map, and it's questionable, at best, that Fuzzy can actually copy that, since Fuzzy was just drawing that based off of some other map he found.

The work I put into it was original.  Tongue 

Meh... I really don't know the law here that much.  I'll leave some messages on the Commons, but I'm not going to report anything just yet.  No point creating a backlog of copyvios if there's no copyrighted material.  But before I do anything, I need a list of what files are "your" images.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 12:58:14 AM »

But what did Fuzzy base his map off of?  If there's no originality (from my limited understanding of Feist, there has to be at least some originality), can Fuzzy actually have a copyright on his  maps?  I guess he'd have a copyright on the percentages map, but again, that's just collecting raw data and compiling it.  And this Wikipedia user didn't even copy that.  The only infringement I'm seeing is in the borders of the map, and it's questionable, at best, that Fuzzy can actually copy that, since Fuzzy was just drawing that based off of some other map he found.

Meh... I really don't know the law here that much.  I'll leave some messages on the Commons, but I'm not going to report anything just yet.  No point creating a backlog of copyvios if there's no copyrighted material.  But before I do anything, I need a list of what files are "your" images.

Idk, maybe it's just too much trouble.  If I'm not going to win, then meh. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 01:02:11 AM »

Idk, maybe it's just too much trouble.  If I'm not going to win, then meh. 

Well I don't know; they have people who know better than I do.  If you care, then list the files.  If you don't care, then I won't bother.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 01:06:14 AM »

Alright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_1994

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_1996

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_1998

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2000

Btw, they messed up the congressional boundaries for North Carolina in 2000.  They used 1998 on accident instead.  And they showed a Democrat winning Utah's 3rd district, when in fact Matheson won the second.  (Maybe if the copywrite thing fails, at least we may be able to get one of them for factual errors).  

Thanks Inks, I really do appreciate it!  
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 02:19:06 AM »

btw, they used Shilly's maps for 2002 and 2004:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2004

But you might want to talk to him.  I don't know if he minds or not. 
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 02:28:11 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:CentrumZero

It looks like he has been banned already for something else?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:35 AM »

I say we track this guy down and make him pay
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 02:30:10 AM »

Yeah, he created socks.  I feel a little mixed about someone copying something.  I feel pretty uneasy when it's someone who's probably a major troll.  Sad  
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 03:04:03 AM »

In addition, a wiki member named "Female bodybuilder enthusiast" ripped off our 2012 congressional map as well and used it for the official 2012 Presidential Election Page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2012

And the map itself here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_congressional_district_2012_presidential_election.png

All the district boundaries match up again (minus the fact that it looks like they erased part of WA-7).

The person who scammed it does not have a page anymore.  I dug deeper, and it looks like he/she was accused, and possibly banned for, copy write violations.

As a matter of fact, I knew about this map for quite some time.  I thought it was just a fluke (plus it didn't really get much circulation on google images like our version did), so I let it go.  Now it looks like something far more concerning, and even sinister.  That was a dumb mistake on my part, and I sincerely apologize to the other members of the forum who worked on this including Jackson, Miles, TJ, and Nathan. 

Ugh

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 03:16:59 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2013, 03:28:18 AM by Tender Branson »

This reminds me of:

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Zarnecki_Incursion

You must be logged in to read this quote.

All we need now is to find out where he lives and some version of a hot "Penny" can do the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqSTnh4l8Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI5uLTkurg0

Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 05:04:02 AM »

You should go ahead and report it. Make it clear you just want to be cited as the author.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »

It's funny, I've seen my Wiki maps pop up all over the place, including in one of my university classes (a professor used a map I made on Wikipedia in a lecture slide).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »

Because Napolean OF COURSE meant "pay" as in legal/financial sanctions as opposed to "extrajudicial remedies", his post isn't being infracted.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 07:16:59 PM »

Because Napolean OF COURSE meant "pay" as in legal/financial sanctions as opposed to "extrajudicial remedies", his post isn't being infracted.

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »

Fuzz, i'll talk to some people on wiki, and see if they would take the maps down for copyright infringement, or do you want to give permission to use them?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 01:07:36 AM »

It's funny, I've seen my Wiki maps pop up all over the place, including in one of my university classes (a professor used a map I made on Wikipedia in a lecture slide).

And as you know, I'm happy for any of mine to be used by anybody, without the need for attribution (and you know this since I've expressly stated as much for your use on your website).

Incidently, I'm working on a post-redistribution map of the provincial legislature ridings of Nova Scotia presently.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 07:05:21 AM »

And as you know, I'm happy for any of mine to be used by anybody, without the need for attribution (and you know this since I've expressly stated as much for your use on your website).

Incidently, I'm working on a post-redistribution map of the provincial legislature ridings of Nova Scotia presently.

Excellent.

It's a wonder why your stuff hasn't popped up on Wikipedia?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »

I make lots of maps, but none of them have ever popped up on Wikipedia. My only claim to fame is a girl (who I don't even know) used a map of the last Danish election which I made in her class presentation on Denmark.

Half of Wikipedia consists of uncited material anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies