You are allowed to repeal one law... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:39:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  You are allowed to repeal one law... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You are allowed to repeal one law...  (Read 1676 times)
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »

Tough choice between the Unpatriotic act, the 16th Amendment, 17th Amendment, and the Federal Reserve act.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »

Tough choice between the Unpatriotic act, the 16th Amendment, 17th Amendment, and the Federal Reserve act.

I was so baffled by that third one that I had to look it up to make sure it was what I thought it was. Why do you oppose direct election of Senators? To keep power in the hands of state governments and party bosses, and away from those dirty plebeians upon whom you spit?

mang, that's libertarianism for you
Here's why:
1. You elect the legislators and Governor (depends on state law) that appoint the Senators
2. Less politicization of senators
3. If the senator doesn't do what the state wants them to, they can be pulled back immeditely and someone else can take their place.
4. For reason num. 3, less special interest groups trying to buy out the senator
5. States can choose which system they want, whether they want to have the people elect senators, or just appoint them.
6. Less confusion when a senator dies in office or retires before their term is up
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:29:14 PM »

I was so baffled by that third one that I had to look it up to make sure it was what I thought it was. Why do you oppose direct election of Senators? To keep power in the hands of state governments and party bosses, and away from those dirty plebeians upon whom you spit?

Here's why:
1. You elect the legislators and Governor (depends on state law) that appoint the Senators
3. If the senator doesn't do what the state wants them to, they can be pulled back immeditely and someone else can take their place.
4. For reason num. 3, less special interest groups trying to buy out the senator
5. States can choose which system they want, whether they want to have the people elect senators, or just appoint them.
6. Less confusion when a senator dies in office or retires before their term is up

Why can't I just elect the person who represents me directly?
You do, That's your congressman/woman.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:15:15 PM »

Here's why:

Why can't I just elect the person who represents me directly?
You do, That's your congressman/woman.

I still don't quite understand why you want to deprive me of representation in the Senate. I would be completely fine with depriving myself of representation if it meant abolishing the Senate, but so long as a Senate exists, shouldn't the people have a say in who represents them?
You do have a say in who represents you, you have your governor and state congresspeople and state senators.
Essentially, I'm against the federal mandate of each state electing senators. That should be up to the states to decide how their senators are elected or appointed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies