Rand Paul backs class action lawsuit against NSA for cyber-spying
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:10:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rand Paul backs class action lawsuit against NSA for cyber-spying
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rand Paul backs class action lawsuit against NSA for cyber-spying  (Read 635 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/RAND-PAUL-We-ll-Challenge-The-NSA-At-The-Supreme-4590027.php

You must be logged in to read this quote.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »

That's lawsuit isn't getting anywhere close to the Supreme Court, unfortunately. 
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:12:55 PM »

If you go to his Senate campaign site. You can sign up for the lawsuit. He'll ask for a donation (oh sneaky Rand), but you can just close it out.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 08:04:59 AM »

Speaking of the reaction of 2016er reactions to the NSA news, check out Biden's take on NSA spying in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxUNmzgCWE&feature=player_embedded
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »

I think this NSA thing could be a big issue in 2016 as it is something where the candidates will disagree in both parties. The liberal wing of the Dems and the libertarian wing of the GOP are both opposed to it. If Hillary runs I imagine she will support it and someone from the liberal wing of the party can use it to differentiate like Obama used her vote for the war in Iraq.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »

This lawsuit isn't getting anywhere close to any court. No one has been damaged by the NSA's PRISM program.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »

I think this NSA thing could be a big issue in 2016 as it is something where the candidates will disagree in both parties. The liberal wing of the Dems and the libertarian wing of the GOP are both opposed to it. If Hillary runs I imagine she will support it and someone from the liberal wing of the party can use it to differentiate like Obama used her vote for the war in Iraq.

Partisan voters have shamelessly reversed themselves on government spying with the party change in the White House. Republican voters who, under W strongly supported government spying, now that Obama is president, support it less than Democrats do, who largely opposed it under W.  That swing probably helps Rand Paul with the base while at the same time motivating the neocon wing of the GOP establishment to keep Paul from getting anywhere close to the White House. As Morden points out in another thread, Paul has the potential to win Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada but still lose the nomination ( I predicted Romney would make a run at that move in 2012). And I think this NSA story makes that scenario even more likely for Paul, both by making early state wins more likely for him and making party elites even less tolerant of the idea of him as nominee.

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 03:20:37 PM »

of course Paul knows the lawsuit is going nowhere just like he knew his filibuster was going nowhere, but these political stunts are building his base bigger and bigger.

And not all Dems support the NSA thing even if it is an Obama program.

I think the issue will come down to if you support adding additional safeguards and/or oversight to the program. The most likely thing will be that by 2015 (when there will be prez debates) there will be (or have been) specific legislation that has tried to change the NSA program which candidates will be forced to either support or oppose (both Dem and GOP).

Since candidates mostly agree on everything else, this issue is one that has big potential as there is no consensus in either party
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »

If you don't support the program, why aren't you helping him or the ACLU?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies