Is "working class" a fairly meaningless term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:09:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is "working class" a fairly meaningless term?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is "working class" a fairly meaningless term?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Is "working class" a fairly meaningless term?  (Read 1177 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 08:49:38 AM »

I mean what exactly does it mean? It's obviously not income related, you'll hear of unionized auto or other industry workers or people who work in oil extraction who make at least $50k/year if their jobs are still around described as "working class" but you'll never hear it for urban youngs who likely work service industry or low level office jobs and barely make over $30k if even that.

The new term for low-paid workers, whatever the collar, is "working poor" -- which includes checker-cashiers at stores, fast-food workers, low-level office clerks, cleaners, and domestic servants. Such people are easily atomized. They often are involved in no formal organizations, and they have no political allies.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »

You guys are brilliantly defining the whole of society into three or four narrow categories. This is a vast improvement over the two normally assigned categories made on here. Great work!

Here is my best estimate of class in America:

Working class: Those who aren't me, once or always were my family, and/or aren't anymore or soon enough won't be you, because I'm running for office or reelection.

Middle class: What you'll be if you aren't, and what you will continue to be if you already are, unless you aren't because you're:

Upper class: I'm sorry, I can't hear you. I'm in my jet receiving fellatio from an extinct bird while I drink oil in a bath filled with ambergris. Please try and keep it down out there.

This. Cool
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies