SC: Your silince can and will be used agsint you.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:59:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  SC: Your silince can and will be used agsint you.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC: Your silince can and will be used agsint you.  (Read 920 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:02:05 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/06/supreme-court-salinas-v-texas-ruling-explained/66309/
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »

That's blatantly illogical.  You have the right or you don't.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »

It's not great, but it's not the worst decision either.  The main problem with it is that it sets up a regime in which the police have an incentive to hold off arresting a suspect so as to avoid the Miranda protections.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »

The US Surpreme Court, a disgrace to Law since 1857
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:34:16 PM »

There have been a few gems, but then again they were mostly overturning past crap precedent. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »

I don't know the names of the cases off hand, but they have handed down 5-4 classics that have given police really astonishing amounts of power. This is really deplorable - I mean do rights apply or not? Since when does a right NOT apply unless you invoke it?!?! I mean, that's how I basically understand it, and that's how I understand past rulings on Miranda. That's just heinous, really. So now you have to invoke Miranda and invoke the 5th if you have not been read Miranda?? Awful. Those five are an embarrassment before the concept of justice.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2013, 09:06:29 PM by InsaneTrollLogic »

This more or less turns Miranda from a guarantee of rights to a loophole in your rights.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »

There seems to be some precedent for this already. If you are subpoenaed to testify before a legislative body you are not read a Miranda warning. If you want to avoid a question you must explicitly invoke your 5th Amendment right. If you fail to answer and are not invoking your right you could be held in contempt of that body and subject to criminal penalties.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 09:33:24 AM »

There seems to be some precedent for this already. If you are subpoenaed to testify before a legislative body you are not read a Miranda warning. If you want to avoid a question you must explicitly invoke your 5th Amendment right. If you fail to answer and are not invoking your right you could be held in contempt of that body and subject to criminal penalties.

That's a good point, but I think the very nature of being under subpoena changes the equation rather substantially. One is aware of the trouble, so to speak, and is likely to have received council, or else better get council. The cops just running someone in is a bit different. And these really awful rulings, IMO, create complexity where there is to be none. This right applies only if this but not that, and so on. The five justices who always side with the cops are doing us a disservice. I so desperately wish Kennedy would retire. Scalia and Thomas will 100 and still be handing down these asinine rulings, but I really wish Kennedy would retire.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 06:35:07 AM »

This line of cases is absurd. The notion that one must proactively invoke the right of silence against self-incrimination seems to violate that very principle. If one is silent from apprehension thereon, the right to silence should be presumed.

This only reaffirms my belief that Justice Alito is easily the worst Justice on the Supreme Court.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies