SENATE BILL: High Speed Rail Expansion Act (FAILED) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:49:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: High Speed Rail Expansion Act (FAILED) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: High Speed Rail Expansion Act (FAILED)  (Read 5933 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: June 22, 2013, 03:57:01 PM »

Nay

I'm not putting more money into the bottomless pit that is the DoIA. If we're putting federal dollars into the regions and trusting them to deal with a task that really is national in scope, we need to have a say in the plan. Like Nix, I know a little bit about high-speed rail, and the Midwest's plan just doesn't seem like a good use of money. Let's work together to connect our regions' most populous cities along a route that works. We want this system to have high ridership, and meandering through Appalaicha and the Rust Belt is a bit questionable.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:12:31 PM »

We need a "paper bag over head" smiley. Tongue

Still vote nay though. I think we can achieve a lot with high-speed rail as long as it's centred on the right areas. I'd rather work collaboratively on that than spend billions of dollars elsewhere on a project that has no real plan.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:07:19 PM »

Yes, exactly. Or something like "reverse earmarks." On the federal level, we can work to create a sort of master plan with funding mechanism. Then we work out the details with the effected regions and get someone in each legislature to introduce the relevant plan. The legislatures can change things as they see fit, I guess... but the point is that's we'd still be setting a framework in which the regions can hammer things out. It's a balance between oversight and independence that I think would work much better than taking over on the federal level or shoving the entire issue to the regions.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »

I am having a hard time visualizing the proposal for some reason, Hagrid. Could you war game some kind of example so I can picture it?

Here is a very rough framework for how I think my idea could possibly work. Senator MaxQue's issues would also be addressed. This proposal would formalize a lot of informal processes, but I think it's a fair way to execute a project of this scope.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »

Abstain

I see both sides. No one's out to get anyone. It's just a shame that this bill has turned into a bit of a dud. That's why, if we do go immediately to a final vote, I'll vote nay. That said, I don't want to end debate if someone's going to offer something substantive. My suggestion earlier in the thread wasn't exactly related to what the bill has now become... but I may or may not introduce something similar in the future.

Anyhow, yeah.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies