Christopher Hitchens on Monotheism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:33:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christopher Hitchens on Monotheism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christopher Hitchens on Monotheism  (Read 5762 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: June 20, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »

Canaan lay right in the centre of the region where writing was first developed, at the time when these thing should have happen, China and Greece was quite backward compared to the Middle East. The Indus Civilisation the only culture at the same "tech level" was collapsing thanks to barbarian invasion and left no literature behind, while a millenium later China saw the destruction of most of their literary tradition (which is why Confucius saw such popularity, because his writings was one of the few which survived). So honestly not only are this a counter productive argument, it's also quite stupid as the oral and written stories and myths which became the Bible are among oldest if not the oldest retold stories in the world. Yes we have older myths, but those are ones found from ruins, not some told and retold for the last 3 milleniums.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with some of this.  It's certainly the case, as far as I know, that writing, strong forms of political organization and sophisticated religious institutions seem to have existed in the "middle-east," and then Egypt, before they arose around the Indus Valley and China.  Biblical mythology inherited lots of things from this long-standing cultural background, surely.  But the Indus Valley civilization seems not to have been wiped out by military invasions but instead by devastating recurrent floods of the major rivers where its cities lay.  And we do have lots of little ornaments with writing on them from Harappa and Mohenjo-daro and environs, but we haven't yet been able to decipher the script, though probably none of it amounts to literature.  And the Zhou Dynasty in ancient China had a very robust and continuous literary tradition which Confucius wanted to preserve, and that even survived and blossomed during the Warring States period after him.  There was some literary suppression under the short-lived Qin Dynasty of the third century BCE, but the extent of it was probably greatly overstated by later Confucian literati.  I think the original point about India and China was that, by the time that the context for the Biblical stories of Abraham and the patriarchs was a historical reality, the second millennia BCE, India and China were the sites of literate and religiously institutionalized civilizations, and that part, I think, is true.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies