Christopher Hitchens on Monotheism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:26:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christopher Hitchens on Monotheism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christopher Hitchens on Monotheism  (Read 5774 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 18, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »

I'd hardly say that having petroleum has proven to be a blessing in the Middle East.  Indeed, it has proven to be quite the curse.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »

I'd hardly say that having petroleum has proven to be a blessing in the Middle East.  Indeed, it has proven to be quite the curse.

What? No.... no one would care about the Middle-East if not for oil. Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Iran (to an extent) would all be poor, isolated countries that no one but the most esoteric humanitarians or international relations majors would care about.

Exactly.  The rest of the world would largely be ignoring it and not propping up their dictators and tyrants.  Also, said tyrants wouldn't have petrofunds with which to buy the goodies used to oppress the people under their thumbs. Yeah, their elites would be worse off without petroleum, but the common folk would be at least as well off economically, and there is a good chance they'd be better off politically.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:17:44 PM »

The genius of monotheism is its ability to focus on both the necessary cultural framework for a society and an ethical philosophy for that society.  That isn't to say that other belief systems don't have both those aspects as well, but they rarely emphasize both to the same degree as monotheism does.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »

The genius of monotheism is its ability to focus on both the necessary cultural framework for a society and an ethical philosophy for that society.  That isn't to say that other belief systems don't have both those aspects as well, but they rarely emphasize both to the same degree as monotheism does.

I don't quite get the link between one God and it's efficacy in the building of cultural and ethical edifices for a society. Would you care to elaborate? What having the one all powerful God out there may facilitate is a certain militancy about cultural and ethical edifices perhaps, as opposed to it being particularly more facile as to their creation. Just musing here. I am not in my comfort zone on this one.

Without multiple gods, you need something other than one or more of them is bad to explain the presence of evil, and that explanation inherently leads to the incorporation of ethics into the belief system.  In theory, one could start with an ethical system as in Confucianism and incorporate mythic elements into it, but that mixture has never worked all that well as humans are more willing to adapt their ethics than their myths.

But what if a monotheism loses its myth?  We're seeing the result of that now with Christianity in the materialistic West.  In Europe, large segments of the populace no longer subscribe to the myth in any form, literal or figurative. Conversely, here in America, in an effort to defend that same faith, large segments of the populace cling to the idea of the myth as literal truth despite the evidence of science to the contrary.

So compared to other belief systems, monotheism requires both an origin myth and an ethical system to function.  A stable society needs a common mythos and a common ethos.  So you get a virtuous cycle in which monotheism helps create a stable society and that society in turn supports the monotheism.

The crisis that Christianity faces now is how to refashion its mythos to be compatible with what modern science has revealed of the universe.  I've found an approach, Christian Universalism, that works for me.  In the long run, I fail to see how the Fundamentalist approach of worshiping the Bible will work.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »

Ernest why do you think that is a good reason for not holding up in the long run? People believe all sorts of things in the face of contradictory evidence. I'd put science/evidence well behind cultural and social norms as reasons why people keep/leave a faith.

Because societies that turn their back on technology and science are ultimately going to be outcompeted by those that do embrace them.  We now know enough about natural and archaeological record to be able to say that everything in the Bible before Abraham is pure myth without any grounding in historical events.  (At most Noah's flood may be a garbled memory of an inundation of the Black Lake c. 5600 BC to become the Black Sea once more and the tower of Babel may have been a mythological explanation for any of several large ruined ziggurats.)  Holding on to Genesis as literal fact requires a mindset that will place those who hold it at a disadvantage.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies