The story of Operation Pacific Rimjob
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:26:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The story of Operation Pacific Rimjob
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The story of Operation Pacific Rimjob  (Read 4847 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »

I was recalled for gods sake! How would I say no? Anyway, I wish people could make the Pacfic Region but now it seems that the region is pretty inactive. Although I would hate seeing my region die, I think it's more than time to build another Regional Government. (With 4 Regions) No IDS, Mideast annexation, though.

That's right!  Only Midwest annexation.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »

The best thing to do is restore Spamage to power and kill operation Pacific Rimjob's goals outright and restore the second and rightful Pacific Constitution.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2013, 06:37:01 PM by Comandante Kitteh »

The best thing to do is restore Spamage to power and kill operation Pacific Rimjob's goals outright and restore the second and rightful Pacific Constitution.

How would you deal with the fact that there were literally only three people interested in being in the Pacific government who were not associated with the Rimjob? The Pacific was a dead region long before we killed it.

In fact, that's the only region this worked: nobody else cared. Of course now that we solved that problem people are up in arms about it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »

Yeah, that's what's funny about all this. Effectively, nothing has changed from last week. The people who pushed this through had a supermajority in the Pacific Council for the better part of a month; at no point have any of them had any interest in doing anything but abolishing the region. The Pacific didn't have a real government even before it was abolished; the only difference now is that people have finally begun to notice.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »

I was recalled for gods sake! How would I say no? Anyway, I wish people could make the Pacfic Region but now it seems that the region is pretty inactive. Although I would hate seeing my region die, I think it's more than time to build another Regional Government. (With 4 Regions) No IDS, Mideast annexation, though.

That's right!  Only Midwest annexation.

Oops I meant IDS-Midwest!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »

the Midwest was a multi-year dictatorship run by ILV.

I do most humbly beg pardon!  You forgot the words "democratically-elected".  It was a democratically-elected dictatorship.  Including a democratic proclamation of my position as Governor-for-Life.

The Midwest was also one of the most active regions for the first couple years of my tenure of office, so I think these sorts of issues are independent of whether regional politics are "personality-based", as I generally agree the Pacific and Midwest have been, or "politics-based".  I actually don't know what the latter is, because (as I've argued in the past when trying to put forward the abolition of regions) no one ever pays any attention whatsoever to what's happening outside their region.  I mean, that much is immediately obvious.  The Midwest has quietly done exactly what everyone has been telling us to do for years (e.g., created an elected legislature), has a thriving and healthy political class in power, and still no one moves here.  What's that about?!

Man, I am already gettign complaints about it being too long. Tongue I was just trying to explain the impression I got in 2008 and 2009, which was fairly widespread at least in the more eastern regions.

I actually did pay attention to events in other regions, much more so then recently unfortunately. But when you are party chairman of the second largest party and also run a polling company you kind of have to keep an eye on things, know the latest census numbers, know who the big dogs were on the block and so forth and not to mention navigate changes in the positions and so forth, with admittedly mixed results with regards to the Midwest recently. I was also trying to find ways to put another region in play, while not going down the route of selling my soul in the process like a certain someone did.

By "politics-based" I should I have said policy and/or party, since that would have been more clear. As I said before I recruited "You Know Who" into the Pacific as part of an effort to build a competive coalition there He didn't have a six month frame of mind obviously and instead went to the Northeast. I think the same problem is apparent with both regions. Neither have party competition and thus there is limited policy competition and no one wants to spend six months preparing from the sidelines when they can be swept into the "at points rather large" NE Assembly. The theory was that a legislature might overcome this sentiment of it being a futile region to run in for anyone not on the left, but that has not been the case. There was also the activity boon in the Mideast during 2008 and 2009 following their legislature's creation. You get people like Maxwell nowadays, just a like you had Vepres back in 2009, but it usualy does not last.

Throughout my time as chairman of the RPP, I often heard threats from various people ranging from center-right to rightist about just abandoning the game. The destruction of the regions will be a signal that it is game over to a large number of these people. The way I see it, abandoning regions wil only further contract the membership of the more active types with a heavy skew towards those on the right. IF the reason the Midwest still can't get people is because people don't see a future there based on the registration numbers (I have a hard time beleiving the culture is too blame and that is the only other possibility), what effect would the same thing occuring nationwide have? That is why abandoning regions will only make the problem worse.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2013, 12:02:06 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Yeah, that's what's funny about all this. Effectively, nothing has changed from last week. The people who pushed this through had a supermajority in the Pacific Council for the better part of a month; at no point have any of them had any interest in doing anything but abolishing the region. The Pacific didn't have a real government even before it was abolished; the only difference now is that people have finally begun to notice.

I think that big change has occured in my opinion. You created an awareness of where things are going. No people can decided whether to take action or get back to sleep. The action that occurs thoguh may or may not be the action you probably desire though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »

In fact, that's the only region this worked: nobody else cared. Of course now that we solved that problem people are up in arms about it.

How was it a 'problem'?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »

It's time to fight you and to restore sanity in the Pacific!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »

How was it a 'problem'?

People being up in arms is the solution he got, not the solution he desired.

As for you question, Mr. Justice, I would state it is a matter of perspective.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 03:27:42 PM »

Well yes, that is why I asked him.  I want to hear an explanation of his perspective.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2013, 06:41:18 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Well yes, that is why I asked him.  I want to hear an explanation of his perspective.

It wasn't my intention to be Capt. Obvious there. I figured it was a critique of his position of expecting more activity out of the Pacific as being a justification for Rimbjob, based on "previous inclinations" on such matters, as opposed to an actual inquiry if that makes sense.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »

It could be (quite) successfully argued that the 5-region model is an utter failure. In my year or so here, there have never been more than 3 "healthy regions" at any one time; while at one point it appeared all five regions were making great strides, the reality is those were bubbles created by various efforts of "inflation" between multiple factions.

So true, young Griff. So true.

This is where it all began. Cry

RIP, drj. Cry
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »

Well, I'm not a fan of what happened, but at least we probably won't have to worry about these problems (activity and other things) under the new Constitution.

RIP Pacific.

Hello, West!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 04:00:13 AM »

When I see this, I don't see a Revolution, I see a restoration of old practices or I should say old desired practices. A small game dominated by an exclusive clique with a funky name and theme, with a radical in your face gov't structure that isn't conducive to bring anybody in or welcome new people, more or less to encourage activity. Yet they have the audacity to lecture us about "ruling classes" and "power structures". It is basically being led by the same people with some newer faces of like political mind to replace those who have left. When I came here they were much closer to being the ruling class or the power structure then any kind of Revolutionaries. They were displaced when the game expanded and became dominated by the JCP and RPP political machines, and they were forced to operate within that structures as a result, and they hated it.

They have abandoned the politics of policy and have abandoned discourse on such policy issues because there is little else to be accomplished for people of such politics, thus they can't see anything to gain from further participation in such. The problem with that it is the surest path to oblivion in a political elections game. If they want to disband Atlasia for one reason or another then my recommendation would be to just leave instead of nuking it for those that still care about it.

Is that what it is all about? Get what you want and then shut it down?

Mine is better. Tongue

Second paragraph even predicts the future. Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies