Exodus International apologises and shuts down.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:46:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Exodus International apologises and shuts down.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Exodus International apologises and shuts down.  (Read 2215 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2013, 03:04:42 AM »

'Ex' gay sham group has dissolved itself. The least it could do.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 03:59:12 AM »

Wierd. Usually, that kind of association disappear into another one or dissipate in silence.

Any reason for that public disendorsement of themselves?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 06:12:26 AM »

Article for those who want one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/20/exodus-international-shuts-down_n_3470911.html
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:44:03 AM »

Good riddance. Groups like these have been giving conservative Christians a bad name and misleading homosexuals and their families. Telling someone to maintain a life of celibacy is far easier than what they are trying to do.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »

Good riddance. Groups like these have been giving conservative Christians a bad name and misleading homosexuals and their families. Telling someone to maintain a life of celibacy is far easier than what they are trying to do.

No. That's both harmful and unkind. The Christian and conservative thing to do is to encourage people to settle down and marry their same sex partner.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »

This is truly a testament to how the power of Jesus Christ can touch someone and turn them away from hate and evil.

A couple nights ago I read about a CIA agent in the 80s who discovered Christ and felt shamed and guilt-wracked by all the atrocities the CIA was doing, so he sent a list of the names of a bunch of covert CIA agents to a magazine that was published and effectively destroyed tons of CIA operations (then fled to some South American country for amnesty.) Another example of the great changes that can come to someone through the power of Christ.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:26:53 AM »

No. That's both harmful and unkind. The Christian and conservative thing to do is to encourage people to settle down and marry their same sex partner.

Why? Seriously, walk me through the argument please.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:38:47 AM »

This is truly a testament to how the power of Jesus Christ can touch someone and turn them away from hate and evil.

A couple nights ago I read about a CIA agent in the 80s who discovered Christ and felt shamed and guilt-wracked by all the atrocities the CIA was doing, so he sent a list of the names of a bunch of covert CIA agents to a magazine that was published and effectively destroyed tons of CIA operations (then fled to some South American country for amnesty.) Another example of the great changes that can come to someone through the power of Christ.

Uh, pro tip - If you want to convert people to Christianity, don't use this story.  Read some of jmfcst's old posts.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »

Good riddance fools, this a good day for Christians as well, people who use the Bible for hate, are the worst.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »

Why? Seriously, walk me through the argument please.
Sounds to me like Andrew's confusing 'Christian' with 'christlike'. Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 01:20:51 PM »

And it only took a little over three and a half decades of them doing said hate and evil in the name of Jesus Christ for that power to take effect on them!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »

Yes, it's easy to "tell someone to maintain a life of celibacy”, but let's not pretend that's a good thing.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »

Yes, it's easy to "tell someone to maintain a life of celibacy”, but let's not pretend that's a good thing.

Most people here don't know any other way.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 09:37:02 PM »

It's good to know that people are finally waking up and giving actual science a chance.  It's been proven time and time again that 'anti-gay therapy' is nothing more than crank-science which hurts people and helps no one.  Frankly, it's a shame that this practice is even legal.

It would be nicer if this group renounced their stance entirely and encouraged gay couples to love and live as they desire to, but this is a step in the right direction.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »

A decade ago on a long-lost Forum one poster praised Exodus International for "freeing" gays from a depraved way of life. But I made sure to note that gay males make up one third of all suicides among males under 21... maybe we need to have more acceptance of gays so that they can make a choice such as Exodus International if they so desired.

The gay son may be the one who takes care of his parents in late-life medical distress.

Of course... gay is okay, and homosexuality is not a choice any more than multiple sclerosis is a choice.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »

homosexuality is not a choice any more than multiple sclerosis is a choice.

Tha's insulting. Comparing homosexuality and multiple sclerosis!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »

homosexuality is not a choice any more than multiple sclerosis is a choice.

Tha's insulting. Comparing homosexuality and multiple sclerosis!

People with MS deserve a cure. Homophobic behavior is a choice in need of a cure.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »

Most people here don't know any other way.

Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »

Good job shutting down a program that fails 99.99999999999% of the time (there are ex-gays around, but they are few and far between.)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »

No The Christian and conservative thing to do is to encourage people to pursue and marry an opposite sex partner. How is it conservative and Christian to allow folks to choose a lifestyle which if not repented of will lead to a very bad scenario in eternity. Everybody here knows my opposition to the gay lifestyle and gay marriage is rooted in scripture andIn natural law. It is not a motive of hate that leads me. It is a motive of love for my fellow man that I express my opinion on this issue and its dissapointing that many see my view and motive as hateful. I happen to agree with your assessment Matt in VT.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 09:36:57 PM »

No The Christian and conservative thing to do is to encourage people to pursue and marry an opposite sex partner. How is it conservative and Christian to allow folks to choose a lifestyle which if not repented of will lead to a very bad scenario in eternity. Everybody here knows my opposition to the gay lifestyle and gay marriage is rooted in scripture andIn natural law. It is not a motive of hate that leads me. It is a motive of love for my fellow man that I express my opinion on this issue and its dissapointing that many see my view and motive as hateful. I happen to agree with your assessment Matt in VT.

Well in the case of homosexuals, I think celibacy is probably a better option than heterosexual marriage. Otherwise I'm with you JCL.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »

Well in the case of homosexuals, I think celibacy is probably a better option than heterosexual marriage. Otherwise I'm with you JCL.

Why don't you just ignore the parts of the Bible that say gay sex is wrong or find a new way to interpret those parts? 

Aside from religion, there's no way to say that homosexuality is wrong.  None.  And your primitive ideas do have real consequences in people's lives.  You are actually hurting people by spreading these dumb beliefs about gay people.  It's not some abstract theological idea.  What's so hard about accepting gay people?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 10:35:09 PM »

Why don't you just ignore the parts of the Bible that say gay sex is wrong or find a new way to interpret those parts? 

Aside from religion, there's no way to say that homosexuality is wrong.  None.  And your primitive ideas do have real consequences in people's lives.  You are actually hurting people by spreading these dumb beliefs about gay people.  It's not some abstract theological idea.  What's so hard about accepting gay people?

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2013, 04:49:05 AM by bedstuy »

You can tell me that I should never have sex or love someone.  I'll just dismiss you as a backwards fundamentalist.  But, don't tell me that you're accepting me.  You're not.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 03:12:41 AM »

What does red fish have to do with accepting gays?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies