Are Chris Christie's Problems with the Republican Base Exageratted? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:15:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Are Chris Christie's Problems with the Republican Base Exageratted? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are Chris Christie's Problems with the Republican Base Exageratted?  (Read 3675 times)
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« on: June 21, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2013, 10:30:40 PM by bballrox4717 »

No, but the Tea Party/far right conservatives still do not make up the majority of the party. If they did, Mitt Romney would not have been the nominee in 2012. You can't assume the people who yell the loudest in the GOP speak for the party. Poll after poll show that most Americans, including Republicans, love the work he is doing right now.

Christie is still a strong candidate who has by far the best ability to connect with average people. Even if he is in more trouble with the base right now, Christie has a natural touch when it comes to voters that Romney, McCain or Dole could never claim. I believe it is much more likely that his big mouth will get him into the most trouble during campaigning and cause him to sink.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:20:48 AM »

Another reason why I think people who think Christie's chances have got it wrong is because I think he's a comparatively skilled politician.  That's something that people sometimes ignore here.  You can't predict elections just by seeing who ticks off the relevant ideological boxes.  You also need to factor in the political skills of the candidates.  And Christie's in much better shape on that score than, say, Huntsman.  Which is why I'm not yet convinced that Christie has Huntsmanned himself.

Agreed. Huntsman's Mandarin moment in the debates was cringe-worthy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies