Opinion of atheist liberals who admire Christopher Hitchens
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:00:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of atheist liberals who admire Christopher Hitchens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of atheist liberals who admire Christopher Hitchens
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of atheist liberals who admire Christopher Hitchens  (Read 1158 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:05:59 PM »

It's pretty awful. Hitchens was a murderous imperialist neocon of the worst order. For anyone to oppose that but love the guy just because he said lots of bad things about Christians is so absurd and short-sighted. It makes as much sense as loving Ayn Rand for her Christian-hating.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »

Murderous?

Let's be honest here. Hitchens, Dawkins etc are the poster boys of certain brands of Christians who can't really be bothered engaging with atheism/agnosticism or unbelief. Nothing anyone has argued about god or the lack of evidence for is new or unique and no one claims otherwise. But you would think, from detractors that atheists didn't exist until we heard the clarion call from the mountain from Hitchens et al. We are their children and are therefore tainted by them. So that's why we get irate and banal regurgitated topics like this. Over and over and over again. Take some effort and expand your horizons.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 03:26:16 PM »

Yeah, it seems to me that the only people who give a sh*t about Hitchens are atheist-bashers.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »

i love hitchens.  so ff, naturally.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »

But you also defended torture and Bush's foreign policy a lot, so that's not surprising.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 04:45:36 PM »

I think Christopher Hitchens was a good writer and an insightful, smart person.  I don't idolize him or agree with his views 100%.  And I'm a liberal.  Why does that bother you?  Is it OK to be a liberal who hates radical Islam and Christian fundamentalism?  Is it OK to be a liberal who is more hawkish than Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul?

Also, who did he murder?  And how is he imperialist?  I'm curious. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2013, 05:25:35 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I've decided try not to let Hitchens bother me more than he merits.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »

But you also defended torture and Bush's foreign policy a lot, so that's not surprising.

Hitchens opposed waterboarding after undergoing one himself.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2013, 05:52:37 PM by freefair »

Also, who did he murder?  And how is he imperialist?  I'm curious.  
I'm not a Neocon and think that Iraq was a mistake, but his other socialand religious Ideas in general were pretty on the money. The Ayn Rand comparison is invalid becuase Hitchens also remained on the centre-left on all other issues, economic and social. Is it ok to say someone is a bad person just because you don't agree with one aspect of their politics now? if so, sensible, rational discourse in the democratic world is doomed.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »

Silly. In the realm of atheist thought there are so many better options out there. It's like calling Joel Osteen your favourite Christian thinker.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »

New Atheists and their spokespeople = HP
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »

Hitchens was an awful prick, atheist or now.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »

Yeah, it seems to me that the only people who give a sh*t about Hitchens are atheist-bashers.
You clearly haven't been to reddit.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2013, 08:27:26 PM by HockeyDude »

As one... total FF's.  He's incredible logical, even where we differ, and is not afraid to bash religion for the comprehensive social poison that it is.  

Hitchens is incredible and I love that I have hours and hours of his material available to me which I have not yet gotten to, despite the fact that he is dead.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePgiW0Km_0

EDIT: and he clearly evolved into a center-leftist on economics over time, and he was bashing Reagan in the early 90s WAAAAAAAAY before it was cool. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »

I think Christopher Hitchens was a good writer and an insightful, smart person.  I don't idolize him or agree with his views 100%.  And I'm a liberal.  Why does that bother you?  Is it OK to be a liberal who hates radical Islam and Christian fundamentalism?  Is it OK to be a liberal who is more hawkish than Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul?

He wasn't just more hawkish than those types, he was basically an out and out neocon, who endorsed Bush in 2004. Murderous foreign policy and imperialism are basically the hallmarks of neoconservatism.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 09:54:54 PM »

I find Hitchens... interesting. Not that I've put much research into him. Just reading one Newsweek article and maybe part of a wikipedia page. In any case, I'll just apply my poll answer to the "atheist liberals" portion of the question.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »

He wasn't just more hawkish than those types, he was basically an out and out neocon, who endorsed Bush in 2004. Murderous foreign policy and imperialism are basically the hallmarks of neoconservatism.

He was certainly wrong about supporting the invasion of Iraq and President Bush's reelection.  I'll grant you that.  We can debate the definition of "imperialist," "neo-con" and "murderous."  But, those are ultimately that's just an ad-hominem argument based on a few labels.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »

And those things alone permanently taint him to me. If someone wants to overlook those, I'd prefer the reason be better than "is an atheist" and "is also a giant dick about it".
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 10:51:39 PM »

EDIT: and he clearly evolved into a center-leftist on economics over time, and he was bashing Reagan in the early 90s WAAAAAAAAY before it was cool. 

What? No. If anything, he "evolved" in the other direction (though economic policy was never his forté).

Hitchens was certainly a great and often hilarious writer, though most of his contributions from 2002-06 (during which he served as nothing but the most extreme cheerleader for Bush foreign policy, and made enemies of most of his former friends) should best be forgotten.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »

Negative.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »

And those things alone permanently taint him to me. If someone wants to overlook those, I'd prefer the reason be better than "is an atheist" and "is also a giant dick about it".

He wasn't polite or deferential, for sure.  But, the mission of a writer isn't to be nice.  It's to be provocative and interesting.  Was he a "giant dick" in his stance as an atheist?  I don't see how specifically.  What did he do to religious believers that's so bad? 

Christians seem to think we owe them a certain amount of deference and respect for their beliefs, maybe because they're the majority in America.  Or least they think we need to cop to a type of mealy-mouthed ecumenicism that says that all religions are worthy of special status and are beyond criticism. 

Personally, I don't care that much about what other people believe.  Certainly compared to the New Atheists, I'm more complacent with people holding beliefs that I find silly and illogical.  But, living in a world where terrorists are actively trying to kill me because of their religious beliefs and fundamentalists want to deny me my civil rights, because of Jesus or something, I appreciate people who call those idiots out.  That's what I like about Christopher Hitchens' ideology.  But, certainly, if religious people all acted like civilized human beings, I would have less common cause with him. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »

He wasn't polite or deferential, for sure.  But, the mission of a writer isn't to be nice.  It's to be provocative and interesting.  Was he a "giant dick" in his stance as an atheist?  I don't see how specifically.  What did he do to religious believers that's so bad? 

Christians seem to think we owe them a certain amount of deference and respect for their beliefs, maybe because they're the majority in America.  Or least they think we need to cop to a type of mealy-mouthed ecumenicism that says that all religions are worthy of special status and are beyond criticism. 

Personally, I don't care that much about what other people believe.  Certainly compared to the New Atheists, I'm more complacent with people holding beliefs that I find silly and illogical.  But, living in a world where terrorists are actively trying to kill me because of their religious beliefs and fundamentalists want to deny me my civil rights, because of Jesus or something, I appreciate people who call those idiots out.  That's what I like about Christopher Hitchens' ideology.  But, certainly, if religious people all acted like civilized human beings, I would have less common cause with him. 

The problem with Hitchens is that:

1-He didn't really make a distinction between fundamentalists and more tolerant and liberal believers and
2-He took the position to the extreme of thus deciding that Bush's foreign policy was good....although even that flies in the face of logic since supporting the Iraq War meant toppling one of the most secular governments in the Middle East.

So basically he was a dick, and an illogical one who took his views to some awful and unforgivable conclusions.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 01:02:57 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, the "enlightened idols" of atheism - Hitchens and Dawkins - are both complete tools, and their worshipers total hypocrites.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

I can't confirm that I've ever met one.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »

Massive HPs. People like them are one of the big reasons that so many people perceive atheists as rapid anti-theists, even though the majority do not think that way.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies