3 out of 4 Americans have no personal financial safety net (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:22:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  3 out of 4 Americans have no personal financial safety net (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 3 out of 4 Americans have no personal financial safety net  (Read 1909 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: June 25, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »
« edited: June 25, 2013, 03:53:50 PM by memphis »

Less than 6 months does not equal zero. This is an area of my life that I've been working really hard on. I don't have six months' worth yet, but I'm happy to report that I also have quite a bit more than zero, which was not the case a few years ago Smiley If not for a crushing student loan debt, I'd have a positive net worth. Hooray!
I made reference to the need for six months' savings (I think in the update but not totally sure) a while back and all the non-Americans thought I was out of my mind. With all their government protections, especially on healthcare and employment, they don't need it and thought it bizarre that Americans have to do so much cash hoarding just to have basic protections against the crap life throws at all of us from time to time. Honestly, it's not realistic for an enormous number of folks to have this much money saved up. And then there is a never ending cascade of vulture industries like credit cards that hit people when they are at their worst and ensure they never get back up. The six month goal reminds me of the "every man a millionaire" nonsense that was ubiquitous during the 401(k) boom of the 1990s. If it sounds too good to be true, it invariably is. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop saving every chance I get.
FWIW, I give Suze Orman credit for saving my soul on this front. While I was still in my 20s, which is nice. I recommend her book, The Money Class to everybody. In a better world, it would be required reading in every high school in America.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:24:38 PM »

A man can indenture himself to the government and join the military. If they'll take him, which is a lot harder now that Iraq is over and jobs are hard to get. That's about all the help the government offers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies